Positive Carlos needs a war chest

Guest domSWFC

So only hire mediocre ones? Let's settle for mediocrity. No ambition.

Was promotion by 2017 and whatever it takes, said tongue in cheek? 

How do you know he's mediocre? He may not be proven at this level, but who's to say he won't prove himself here, with us? 

How do you know he's mediocre? He may not be proven at this level, but who's to say he won't prove himself here, with us? 

Because he rarely lasts in a job longer than a year.

Why appoint a serial stop gap and cheap option, when promotion is the aim by  2017?

When there are a lot more proven head coaches and managers available, who have got teams promoted from this level before.

CC's appointment strikes me as a cheap option and settling for mediocrity and doesn't say to me we're going all out for promotion or the play-off's.

Hopefully though, I do hope and wish that he'll surprise me and do very well, much in the same way Gray surprised some of us.

Was he there at the time?

That's not really relevant to the point he was likely attempting to dismiss.

(As a reminder, it was probably regarding S_W_F_C's suggestion that European "no marks" like Braga aren't worth scouring for talent, since their first team aren't even good enough to compete for promotion in the Championship.)

I completely understand how some people would be disappointed with this appointment, but there's no need to get silly.

(As a reminder, it was probably regarding S_W_F_C's suggestion that European "no marks" like Braga aren't worth scouring for talent, since their first team aren't even good enough to compete for promotion in the Championship.)

I completely understand how some people would be disappointed with this appointment, but there's no need to get silly.

Aye, fair enough. He's managed some big teams to be fair. Although he's been in a lot of short-term jobs.

Didn't read the message he was referring to, so thought he meant CC was there at the time, which I don't think he was.

My gripe and disappointment isn't with who CC has managed because the likes of Besiktas, Sporting Lisbon and Braga are big jobs.

I just think after harshly getting rid of Gray, and with the takeover and various comments, personally I was expecting someone more proven over here,

used to getting teams out of this League or with a top flight pedigree or something over here, experienced with challenging in this division or a up and coming European name that could attract players.

CC is experienced in European terms and in the Portuguese and Turkish League's in particular, who knows how well he'll adapt to the Football League, there are no sure thing's in football but someone more experienced and proven in the Football League/Premier League such as a Big Sam or Big Nige might've been a bigger display of intent and a smarter move. Hopefully, CC does well, adapts and I genuinely want him to succeed, and I hope I'm wrong and CC surprises me, just like Gray did. I just would've felt more confident if we had gone for someone like Big Sam for instance. 

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

As for the Portuguese and Dutch leagues they are not a patch on the championship for competitiveness or overall quality (bar a couple of teams). The foreign boys will find this tough going that's why we need some domestic signings

How many Watford players had you heard of before 2 or so years ago.

Both of our new signings have played more first team football than Vydra had before being loaned to Watford

Exactly that, thank you. I might have a read back of this thread for entertainment value.

Chansiri wants us to play attractive football, employing someone like big sam and we would play very similar to how we have done for the last decade, I would rather make this transition in the championship than doing it in the prem.

Swfc raises some valid points.

There are bargains to be had in England, we sniffed them out in the past and we need to do that again.

I'm fine with signing players from abroad but if none of them have ever played here before it could take ages for them to adapt. They will no doubt be better technically but they won't be used to the pace and intensity of the league. Leeds tried this approach and they seem to have scrapped it now.

It's a gamble but most managerial appointments are. I wanted the club to try something different. They have, so I can't personally complain. Whether it'll prove to be the right move? Well, that's anybody's guess?

I see Derby are in for Tom Ince. They are going for it......enjoy your random European bit part players lads and just appreciate any old signing you can feast your eyes on.

If Derby can sign Ince, Bent and Weiman why can't we compete for similar quality?

money

I see Derby are in for Tom Ince. They are going for it......enjoy your random European bit part players lads and just appreciate any old signing you can feast your eyes on.

If Derby can sign Ince, Bent and Weiman why can't we compete for similar quality?

Tom f*cking Ince, jesus.the only people who think he is great are him and his dad. When Hull who spent all season fighting relegation and then did go down don't think you can do anything to help the battle then it says alot.

Edited by marcx666

Fair enough if it's money then fine I've lived for 15 years with none of that. That's the level of investment I expected.......now I want to see how ambitious the chairman is. Sorry Lachman and Susso don't get me excited

our fans over-egged how rich we thought DC was and clinged to the "whatever it takes" sound-byte.

BUT then it was followed up with lots more info re being sustainable but us fans seem to forget that 

11 goals in 18 games. Prefer Maguire would you??

Yep. Coincidence is it that when Derby signed Ince and Bent they went down the table quicker than Katie Price on the groom on his wedding day. " Players dont get you excited, when the windws opened today. Id hate the see what Man City fans are thinking as they have signed no one yet. I get the feeling you are the sort of person who if we signed Dani ALves on a free you'd complain because we didnt spend any money

The way some posters go on you'd think that the window was now closed. At least wait until the end of the window before moaning that we've not signed anyone. It's the 1st of July, we have just announced our new coach manager whatever bloke. We will be signing more players, they may be household names they may not be. Either way is no guarantee of success or failure though.

For what it's worth I reckon we've got loads of decent players lined up, some known some not. The unknown ones will hit the ground running and go on to be stars, some will stay with us and become club legends and fan favourites, others will be sold for large amounts and the money raised will be reinvested. The known players will fulfil their potential and really solidify our team initially, before following the same route as the unknowns.

We are in for a hell of a ride and the only way is up now. Strap in and enjoy it.