Positive Carlos needs a war chest

I see Derby are in for Tom Ince. They are going for it......enjoy your random European bit part players lads and just appreciate any old signing you can feast your eyes on.

If Derby can sign Ince, Bent and Weiman why can't we compete for similar quality?

Id imagine the fact their crowds are much better than ours, coupled with a much better income from other commercial stuff will play a part.

Derby should romp the league, think we will do well this year to finish top 6.

Plan is to bring in promising youngsters that will probably take a year to bed in and develop and then be ready the next season or one after... as he said sustainable progress

The way some posters go on you'd think that the window was now closed. At least wait until the end of the window before moaning that we've not signed anyone. It's the 1st of July, we have just announced our new coach manager whatever bloke. We will be signing more players, they may be household names they may not be. Either way is no guarantee of success or failure though.

For what it's worth I reckon we've got loads of decent players lined up, some known some not. The unknown ones will hit the ground running and go on to be stars, some will stay with us and become club legends and fan favourites, others will be sold for large amounts and the money raised will be reinvested. The known players will fulfil their potential and really solidify our team initially, before following the same route as the unknowns.

We are in for a hell of a ride and the only way is up now. Strap in and enjoy it.

To be fair, last week it was we are a shambles because we havent signed anyone, players havent resigned contracts, no manager blah blah. Now weve had Semedo and Loovrens resign, signed two players, and have a management team, and as always its still not good enough for the entitled masses. We didnt sign anyone till the 7th of July last year ffs.

So Derbys demise was down to Ince and Bent.........well I've heard it all. It's not what we spend fee wise it's about quality.

We've essentially had since March to sort out house out and get targets lined up. Not seeing much so far

Well they were in the top 2 constantly then screwed up the balance of the team. Unless I missed something and Bent and Ince fired them to promotion?  You're right, we aren't seeing much, nor hearing much. I get the feeling thats the issue for you, and you'd prefer Milans regular updates that say nothing. Although when we do hear stuff you still aren't happy

I see Derby are in for Tom Ince. They are going for it......enjoy your random European bit part players lads and just appreciate any old signing you can feast your eyes on.

If Derby can sign Ince, Bent and Weiman why can't we compete for similar quality?

Ffs stop comparing us to Derby! We are nowhere near as good as Derby. Our best finish in years was last season and it was midtable. Derby have nearly been promoted 2 seasons running. Prem players dropping down a division are gonna want to go a club like Derby, where they might get another chance to play in the prem the following season.

You know what I actually find the most encouragin this close/pre season? How much of the deadwood and not good enough we cleared out. Every other season people like Madine and Maghoma would have been given new deals, as would Lewis on the blind hope that he wouldnt miss 35 game+ through injury.

The point I've made is that we can't pad our squad with signings like Susso and Lachman as it's risky they have no experience of this league which is a very hard one

If we do pad our squad with these types of players and they turn out to be duds - at least a 50/50 chance - then obviously forget relegation and start looking the other way

Domestic quality costs I know but what has DC come here to do??

The transfer window doesnt shut for two months ffs. We lost 14 people including the 3 loanees. We arent gonna spend money and wages and sign 14 first teams players. We need squad players, and I for one would rather take the gamble on a couple of squad players than have resigned the likes of Maghoma et all. Even Lewis who spent all season hugging the physio.

I agree we signed a couple of squad players to fill the void of those released. This must now stop and we need to concentrate on the first 11 out of the 5-7 signings that remain

What if we sign Kramer? Will that not get you excited, given that he's from a "no mark European team"?

Ffs stop comparing us to Derby! We are nowhere near as good as Derby. Our best finish in years was last season and it was midtable. Derby have nearly been promoted 2 seasons running. Prem players dropping down a division are gonna want to go a club like Derby, where they might get another chance to play in the prem the following season.

If we want promotion in the next couple of years they are the bench mark though. We are not as good as Derby but we need to get to a point where we are rivalling them fairly quickly.

That is the point SWFC is making.

If we took Wood on a years loan great cos we know he has a pedigree at this level.

Your boy Susso averages 10 games a season in his career over 5 years

My boy? Hardly. Its called seeing the bigger picture. Year loan for a young lad from a decent club, despite your best protests that Braga are cr*p, squad player. Makes you wonder about Wood though. If hes so damn good and can do it at this level, why has no one veer bought him. Leicester dont want him or they would be playing him

If we took Wood on a years loan great cos we know he has a pedigree at this level.

Your boy Susso averages 10 games a season in his career over 5 years

My boy? Hardly. Its called seeing the bigger picture. Year loan for a young lad from a decent club, despite your best protests that Braga are cr*p, squad player. Makes you wonder about Wood though. If hes so damn good and can do it at this level, why has no one veer bought him. Leicester dont want him or they would be playing him

If we want promotion in the next couple of years they are the bench mark though. We are not as good as Derby but we need to get to a point where we are rivalling them fairly quickly.

That is the point SWFC is making.

Bournemouth and Burnley didn't need to match Derby's signings to get automatic promotion out of this league. And Watford signed loads of foreign unknowns too and they did ok. Maybe the committee are doing what they've been employed to do and spent the last couple of months researching and making shrewd signings.

Bournemouth and Burnley didn't need to match Derby's signings to get automatic promotion out of this league. And Watford signed loads of foreign unknowns too and they did ok. Maybe the committee are doing what they've been employed to do and spent the last couple of months researching and making shrewd signings.

Bournemouth got together a good squad, they didn't spend fortune no, but still paid over £3-2m for one striker, and £2-2m for another. They also bid £6m for Damari Gray in the January window. Yes, I think we'd all be happy with that level of investment

Edited by gurujuan

I don't mean we need to match their spending but we need to match them in terms of the quality and the relative confidence that the players are likely to perform.

Bournemouth and Burnley both relied very heavily on domestic signings as did Derby.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking abroad but it should be possible to get value for money here too with players who have experience of what it is like to play in England.

I don't mean we need to match their spending but we need to match them in terms of the quality and the relative confidence that the players are likely to perform.

Bournemouth and Burnley both relied very heavily on domestic signings as did Derby.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking abroad but it should be possible to get value for money here too with players who have experience of what it is like to play in England.

I think we do have to match Bournemouth's level of spending, it would be the minimum required to turn us into a promotion outfit. If we can get better value abroad, I'm happy with that, but a couple of decent strikers from anywhere, is gonna cost you the best part of £5m.

Bournemouth got together a good squad, they didn't spend fortune no, but still paid over £3-2m for one striker, and £2-2m for another. They also bid £6m for Damari Gray in the January window. Yes, I think we'd all be happy with that level of investment

Umm but they didn't sign Gray so that's not really relevant. And we still don't know if we will be making signings at £2-3 million, just because the two players we've signed so far didn't cost much doesn't mean we aren't currently negotiating larger transfers with clubs. People should just sit back and see what actually happens before complaining that we are not Derby