Carlos Carvalhal Appointed Head Coach - OFFICIAL

Obviously announced it at this time as the players are back in training tommorow. It would look daft if photos are released on the Internet of him taking the training before it got announced, even if we all knew he had the job.

So why announce it so late when he got the job 2 weeks ago? And why can't the press conference be tomorrow? If he's got time to take training he's got time to give a conference. Just seems so fishy and such a bizarre way of doing things.

So we really did contemplate changing the set up just to get Cooper on board

Bizarre

Don't read it quite like that myself.

The oracle that is Nixon (and I think a few others, but can't remember who) suggested that Chansiri wanted an English coach on the team.  For whatever reason, we became infatuated with Cooper, and to try and get him onboard we offered him a title of Head Coach (but what in old money was perhaps more commonly known as First Team Coach).  Carvalhal was always going to pick the team etc - if we had offered Cooper that he'd have jumped at the chance.  But obviously Cooper doesn't wish to trade down from manager at Swindon to just a coach here, which is fair enough I suppose.  Why we chased him so hard to become a coach is quite bizarre though, I'll give you that!

Wouldn't surprise me if Mike Marsh (coach from Liverpool that Daily Mail reported we were in for earlier) rocks up at some point to do the exact role Cooper would have done, but just with the normal title for his job (coach!).

Thanks to Soccerway I've managed to find these managerial stats:

Leixoes S.C. -11 wins, 4 draws, 1 lost (Not the full record)
Vitoria fc -18 wins, 10 draw, 6 lost 
Belenenses - 18 wins, 7 draw, 21 lost
SC Braga - 6 wins, 2 draws, 5 lost
Beira Mar - 1 win, 2 draw 3 lost  
Vitoria FC - 15 wins, 8 draws, 8 lost
Asteras Tripoli - 1 win, 2 draws, 2 lost
Maritimo - 3 wins, 5 draws, 9 lost

Sporting Lisbon - 16 wins, 7 draws, 10 lost

besiktas - 22 wins, 9 draws 15 lost
Istanbul - 2 wins, 2 draw, 7 lost

258 games, 113 wins, 58 draws, 87 lost

Couldnt find out anything when he was at Espino (1998/99), Freamunde (2000) and Aves (2000/01) .

That to me dosen't look Impressive but then you look at the rest of his history: Portuguese SuperCup Finalist, 2 Promotions from 2nd tier Into 1st tier, Secured Europa League four times and 1 relegation. 

I'm split on this, not sure If he's gonna be good or bad but will get behind him. 

First ever foreign Head Coach   :biggrin: 

Welcome to Hillsborough and good luck Carlos Carvalhal, Joao Mario, Joao Cunha and Bruno Lage. 
Edited by aeroswfc

People go on about a lack of CV....a lack of experience.

That's testicles. Everyone has to start off somewhere. Most managers begin without much to their name.., just an idea of how they want to do things. They only way CC is going to build a CV and gain experience is by a team taking a punt on him.

He's never managed in this country before. English football is completely different to football in Portugal. We have no idea how he will do. He could flourish or flounder. The same as EVERY manager. In reality, EVERY manager is a risk...just the same as every player is a risk. There's no guarantees in football.

Forget about Gray, forget about how long we've had to wait for CC's appointment. Just move forward and back the man in charge & the players signed until they give us reason to do otherwise.

So in everyday life a 36 year old who's never kept a job for 5 minutes is as good as someone who's been successful and loyal to a few employers?

Success cannot be guaranteed in football whoever you bring in, but making a calculated decision based on previous success, methodology and loyalty is usually the way to go to. It's common sense. Carvahal is a total punt and his backgroung shows he won't be here for long.

I'll get behind him but I think next season is going to be an expensive learning curve for Chansiri.

Don't know owt about this CC. Entering into a new era.

Going to give him, Chansiri, Roader,and the rest if the committee / coaches a chance before writing them off. It's a shame some of the tools in our fan base can't do the same.

I'm looking forward to the season.

Guest Fedor

I'm all for pretending it never happened if you are

There will actually be some on here who will try and whitewash over it.

Don't read it quite like that myself.

The oracle that is Nixon (and I think a few others, but can't remember who) suggested that Chansiri wanted an English coach on the team.  For whatever reason, we became infatuated with Cooper, and to try and get him onboard we offered him a title of Head Coach (but what in old money was perhaps more commonly known as First Team Coach).  Carvalhal was always going to pick the team etc - if we had offered Cooper that he'd have jumped at the chance.  But obviously Cooper doesn't wish to trade down from manager at Swindon to just a coach here, which is fair enough I suppose.  Why we chased him so hard to become a coach is quite bizarre though, I'll give you that!

Wouldn't surprise me if Mike Marsh (coach from Liverpool that Daily Mail reported we were in for earlier) rocks up at some point to do the exact role Cooper would have done, but just with the normal title for his job (coach!).

That is plausible and would explain the delays but who knows?  Probably we will never find out...

So in everyday life a 36 year old who's never kept a job for 5 minutes is as good as someone who's been successful and loyal to a few employers?

Success cannot be guaranteed in football whoever you bring in, but making a calculated decision based on previous success, methodology and loyalty is usually the way to go to. It's common sense. Carvahal is a total punt and his backgroung shows he won't be here for long.

I'll get behind him but I think next season is going to be an expensive learning curve for Chansiri.

Radio Sheffield interviewed a Portuguese (I think) football pundit a few weeks ago, someone who knows far more about the football culture over there than you and me.  He suggested that it was very common for managers to have short reigns in Portgual (and on the continent in general), it was just how they did things.

Its quite interesting to listen to, and he suggested that it should not be a concern to us that Carvalhal had lots of clubs for perhaps only a year or so at a time.  Its not an indicator of him being a rubbish coach or anything like that.  We only think its weird over here because its not how its traditionally been done in England.

posted this earlier but this guy seems to have got some decent experience © linkedink

Bruno Lage

Coach Al Ahli F.C. Dubai August 2012– Present (2 years 11 months)

Season 13 / 14 - Reserve Team
Season 12 / 13 – Under-19

(Open)1 recommendation
  • ghost_person_40x40_v1.png Manuel Gomes Controller (Account and Taxes) at Siemens, SA

Bruno is a big trainer with a vast technical knowledge. I consider a big driver of teams Worked with him in the Sport Lisbon and Benfica and know well his workView

06b2f2a.png Coach Sport Lisboa e Benfica July 2004– July 2012(8 years 1 month)

Season 11 / 12 – Under-17
Season 10 / 11 – Under-17
Season 09 / 10 – Under-17
Season 08 / 09 – Under-15
Season 07 / 08 – Under-15
Season 06 / 07 – Under-19
Season 05 / 06 – Under-17 and Under-11
Season 04 / 05 – Under-16 and Under-11

Honors & Awards
Additional Honors & Awards

Sport Lisboa e Benfica
Season 2011-2012
Named “Coach of the Year”, on the 108th Sport Lisboa e Benfica anniversary Gala

Season 2010-2011
Winner of the U17 national championship

Season 2009-2010
Named “Coach of the Year”, on the 106th Sport Lisboa e Benfica anniversary Gala

Season 2008-2009
Winner of the U15 national championship

Season 2005-2006
Winner of the U11 championship
Winner of the Dunluce Trophy at Milk Cup - International Youth Football Tournament - U17, Northern Ireland

Season 2004-2005
Winner of the U11 championship

Estrela Futebol Clube, de Vendas Novas
Season 2002-2003
Runner-up of the 3rd Division-F Series; promotion to the 2nd Division B