Promotion next year not wanted?

So, I sat thinking promotion next season would be a year ahead of schedule and absolutely brilliant.

Getting ahead of myself, yes definitely - we have not seen the intent of any new signings yet, but then I set to thinking, how hard is it for a newly promoted side to stay up?   I don't actually have stats nor do I intend to look them up, but I would imagine it's not the best % ratio in recent times.

That being the case, and with the stated ambition to be in the top flight for the year 150 - relegation just prior to year 150 would not be so good, right?

I might be a little premature but I don't see anything more then building blocks this close season, with any explosive transfers the next close season.

Not a bad thing, and I still think even with modest backing Gray can do quite a lot more than he achieved this season so I am still not discounting promotion.

Guest wilyfox

You're right, let's not bother with promotion through fear of coming back down. Championship is the new premier league.

Hell the best season I remember was after Atkinson got us back up.   It wasn't a bad few years.

Times have changed somewhat, the difference is quite a leap, but then so are the benefits even if you do go straight back down.   I just see longer term investment being 12 months away that's all I am saying.

Edited by salmonbones

Guest Fedor

flip that promotion malarkey, lets get relegated next season and hopefully the grunters will come up and replace us. :rolleyes:

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I don't care if we come straight back down.  Just ONE season in the Premier is better than doing nowt season after season.

So, I sat thinking promotion next season would be a year ahead of schedule and absolutely brilliant.

Getting ahead of myself, yes definitely - we have not seen the intent of any new signings yet, but then I set to thinking, how hard is it for a newly promoted side to stay up?   I don't actually have stats nor do I intend to look them up, but I would imagine it's not the best % ratio in recent times.

That being the case, and with the stated ambition to be in the top flight for the year 150 - relegation just prior to year 150 would not be so good, right?

I might be a little premature but I don't see anything more then building blocks this close season, with any explosive transfers the next close season.

Not a bad thing, and I still think even with modest backing Gray can do quite a lot more than he achieved this season so I am still not discounting promotion.

I understand what you're getting at. Mused something similar in another thread. But, the one qualifier I added was that Mr C seems to be setting in motion the necessary staff and infrastructure to keep us up should we achieve the goal this season (here's hoping). One thing that is missing so far is a promotion capable squad. Given that it's still only May (insert obligatory FFS) that's not really going to come into focus for another 8-10 weeks. Then we'll have a better idea of where we are really at. Keep your pecker up.

Whether we get promoted this season, next season or the season after, our aim will be the same, to finish 17th

Look at the season Bournemouth fans have just been given to enjoy though,  after the boring, goalless shitfestival at Hillsborough all season, I'd like a bit of that please, even if we were to come straight back down 

Edited by Lee A

Getting ahead of myself, yes definitely - we have not seen the intent of any new signings yet, but then I set to thinking, how hard is it for a newly promoted side to stay up? I don't actually have stats nor do I intend to look them up, but I would imagine it's not the best % ratio in recent times.

With respect, that sounds like a daft reason to avoid getting promoted.