The Wednesday

As part of the celebrations for our upcoming 150th anniversary year I would like to see us officially change our name back to "The Wednesday" just for one year.

Also we should play in a replica of our original kit - with maybe a bit of poetic licence to make it work in the modern era. ie - not tripping up over massive baggy shorts.

Or alternatively, how about a permanent name change back to The Wednesday?

Thoughts?

We were never "The Wednesday"; we were "The Wednesday Football Club" as in the football club that plays on a Wednesday.  We became commonly known as Sheffield Wednesday before we officially renamed the club. 

Anyway, my point is that we wouldn't go back to being known as "The Wednesday" because I believe we were never that - we were "The Wednesday Football Club". 

We were never "The Wednesday"; we were "The Wednesday Football Club" as in the football club that plays on a Wednesday.  We became commonly known as Sheffield Wednesday before we officially renamed the club. 

Anyway, my point is that we wouldn't go back to being known as "The Wednesday" because I believe we were never that - we were "The Wednesday Football Club". 

and we're now sheffield wednesday football club...

doesn't every football club in the divisions from accrington stanley to york city have that in there somewhere?

Guest Maxine

Much prefer Sheffield Wednesday. Am proud to support my home city club so strongly want Sheffield in the name. Can't understand why anyone would want to change the name.

I agree

Love the total uniqeness of The Wednesday. Everybody who knows anything about football anywhere in the world knows were from Sheffield just like they know Chelsea, Arsenal, QPR are from London and Everton are from Liverpool. Would love to see it changed back.

For those saying keep the past in the past, you're effectively saying forget the 150 year anniversary entirely.

Load of bull we are acknowledging the past through embracing the 150 years of evolution the club has undertaken to pinpoint one part of history and highlight would be a disservice

Load of bull we are acknowledging the past through embracing the 150 years of evolution the club has undertaken to pinpoint one part of history and highlight would be a disservice

You've missed the point.

To "leave the past in the past" would be to do nothing to celebrate 150 years: just another season, same as the last, same as the next.

And I'm not suggesting change the name and nothing else. Do it as part of a package of events.

You've missed the point.

To "leave the past in the past" would be to do nothing to celebrate 150 years: just another season, same as the last, same as the next.

And I'm not suggesting change the name and nothing else. Do it as part of a package of events.

What your effectively saying is we should revert our identity back to a time, none of us fans remember and lose our demographic identity.

I imagine if you found the old players and asked them if they played for 'Sheffield Wednesday' or the Wednesday most would tell you Sheffield wednesday.

Just because we have an anniversary there is plenty of ways in which we can celebrate our history but do so by remembering our full history and not just the parts we think are cool and retro!

I get the distinct impression it the out of town era who want us to lose the Sheffield part?