The Wednesday

As part of the celebrations for our upcoming 150th anniversary year I would like to see us officially change our name back to "The Wednesday" just for one year.

Also we should play in a replica of our original kit - with maybe a bit of poetic licence to make it work in the modern era. ie - not tripping up over massive baggy shorts.

Or alternatively, how about a permanent name change back to The Wednesday?

Thoughts?

I hate when people refer to us as The Wednesday it sounds like it's been said in derogatory manner and is to long for a nickname we are Sheffield Wednesday 'the Owls'

Not 'Sheffield' or 'The Wednesday'

Edited by CS5swfc

Much prefer Sheffield Wednesday. Am proud to support my home city club so strongly want Sheffield in the name. Can't understand why anyone would want to change the name.

Exactly this. It does however really annoy me when fans/players/media refer to us as Sheffield. No other cities get this so why the heck do we.

Exactly this. It does however really annoy me when fans/players/media refer to us as Sheffield. No other cities get this so why the heck do we.

I agree. wee wees me off. I do like 'The Wednesday' though. Would happy if commentators said that. It's Unique.

Edit... I don't think anyone would ever detach Sheffield from our name in name or spirit.

Edited by F. Spiksley

I must admit I love to see the whole name in print.

Sheffield Wednesday 

Beautiful.

However, if asked which football team I support I always reply "Wednesday". Never "Sheffield Wednesday", Never "The Wednesday", just "Wednesday".

It's sufficient.

Everybody knows who we are.

UTO

FTB

Guest conisbrough

Both Sheffield Wednesday and The Wednesday sound good to me, think it would be good publicity to change for one season. Actually not having where you come from in title of club would create more curiosity from those outside of country.

Personally not keen on Owls as a nickname.