The Wednesday

What your effectively saying is we should revert our identity back to a time, none of us fans remember and lose our demographic identity.

I imagine if you found the old players and asked them if they played for 'Sheffield Wednesday' or the Wednesday most would tell you Sheffield wednesday.

Just because we have an anniversary there is plenty of ways in which we can celebrate our history but do so by remembering our full history and not just the parts we think are cool and retro!

I get the distinct impression it the out of town era who want us to lose the Sheffield part?

You get the wrong impression then...maybe you're just trying too hard to start being divisive....anyone who stood on the east bank in the late sixties knew that the chant " The Wednesday was our rallying call "

You get the wrong impression then...maybe you're just trying too hard to start being divisive....anyone who stood on the east bank in the late sixties knew that the chant " The Wednesday was our rallying call "

Correct and it was even better when we sneaked on somebody,s end at away matches all regrouped together and the first chant to let them know we had arrived was always "The Wednesday".

Exactly this. It does however really annoy me when fans/players/media refer to us as Sheffield. No other cities get this so why the heck do we.

I'm sure it's fairly common for reporters on TV to refer to "Newcastle" and lots of other clubs by their place names and not their actual club name, but I agree it's a bit denigrating - especially when it only seems to happen to Sheffield and Bristol where there are two clubs in the city. You never hear them talking about "Nottingham" or "Manchester", as far as I can recall. 

That apart, I prefer "The Wednesday" because that was (the important bit) of our original name and I think it was not the best decision in the world to change that name back in the 20s. Especially when we were League Champions at the time. Nobody but an ignoramus (or a foreigner, natch) would not know we are a Sheffield team.

As for not liking "The Owls" as a nickname? Put more water in it, Conisborough! :biggrin:

Guest minsk owl

Old timers wantin to recapture their glory years...us young uns prefer sheffield wednesday

it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with glory years ........ it's simply a reflection of past times and personal experiences, 

either will do for me !!!!   ( COME ON  { THE }  WEDNESDAY )  !!!

post-38035-0-54760000-1431125110_thumb.j

Chanting the Wednesday is completely different to changing your name to it though? I sing WAWAW not WASWAW but believe our correct title should be Sheffield Wednesday football club.

Don't know why I'm debating this with you as its silly and something that won't happen.

I must admit I love to see the whole name in print.

Sheffield Wednesday 

Beautiful.

However, if asked which football team I support I always reply "Wednesday". Never "Sheffield Wednesday", Never "The Wednesday", just "Wednesday".

It's sufficient.

Everybody knows who we are.

UTO

FTB

amen brother

We were never "The Wednesday"; we were "The Wednesday Football Club" as in the football club that plays on a Wednesday.  We became commonly known as Sheffield Wednesday before we officially renamed the club. 

Anyway, my point is that we wouldn't go back to being known as "The Wednesday" because I believe we were never that - we were "The Wednesday Football Club". 

Bobbins.  When people ask you who you support you don't say "Sheffield Wednesday" and add "Football Club" unless you're a Joey Deakin

I must admit I love to see the whole name in print.

Sheffield Wednesday 

Beautiful.

However, if asked which football team I support I always reply "Wednesday". Never "Sheffield Wednesday", Never "The Wednesday", just "Wednesday".

It's sufficient.

Everybody knows who we are.

UTO

FTB

This ^. It gets fvvcckking crackers on here sometimes. "The Wednesday", black shorts, hooped socks, central blue stripe..... 'Kin'ell! What next???

What your effectively saying is we should revert our identity back to a time, none of us fans remember and lose our demographic identity.

I imagine if you found the old players and asked them if they played for 'Sheffield Wednesday' or the Wednesday most would tell you Sheffield wednesday.

Just because we have an anniversary there is plenty of ways in which we can celebrate our history but do so by remembering our full history and not just the parts we think are cool and retro!

I get the distinct impression it the out of town era who want us to lose the Sheffield part?

lol

Also, and in addition, as well, plus the fact.......

To my mind, what used to really  scare them on our long-ago travels was...

"We all come from SHEFFIELD, doo dah, doo dah"  (and something about being noisy and being the East Bank Boys)

I think that should have put this thread to bed! :biggrin:

Lets leave it as it is: Sheffield Wednesday. It IS a lovely , and  - to most - incomprehensible name and to revert, no matter for what reason - would only cause rifts in our great community. After all WAWAW

She's our club - that's all that matters.

This ^. It gets fvvcckking crackers on here sometimes. "The Wednesday", black shorts, hooped socks, central blue stripe..... 'Kin'ell! What next???

I dunno, next thing is you'll get people posting about the squad, possible transfers, how much we should pay, and team formation. Bloody crazy poo poo man.

It's a dangerous road...

I think the moderators should ban opinions on club matters. Full Stop!

Lets leave it as it is: Sheffield Wednesday. It IS a lovely , and  - to most - incomprehensible name and to revert, no matter for what reason - would only cause rifts in our great community. After all WAWAW

She's our club - that's all that matters.

What if you think the club is male???

As part of the celebrations for our upcoming 150th anniversary year I would like to see us officially change our name back to "The Wednesday" just for one year.

Also we should play in a replica of our original kit - with maybe a bit of poetic licence to make it work in the modern era. ie - not tripping up over massive baggy shorts.

Or alternatively, how about a permanent name change back to The Wednesday?

Thoughts?

I'm in.