Out of contract players?

Gray had a clear out last summer. Made one or two big calls particularly letting go of Reda but on the whole got it right.

This Summer he has an opportunity to make some similarly big calls. Personally I don't think we'll see the type of cull we did last time.

Team spirit is good and Gray won't want to upset this. Loovens, Semedo and Lee are shoe ins for me. Despite indifferent seasons I expect Maguire and Maghoma to get the benefit of the doubt. Injury concerns will probably count against Buxton and Zayatte and you could throw a coin with most of the rest?

I don't honestly expect a lot of players coming in to be honest. McGugan hopefully? Two wingers, a centre half and maybe a striker. I believe the strikers we currently have will be given another opportunity next season and with better service over the whole of the season they may well be more productive?

I'm not expecting a promotion push next season but I would expect us to be looking at a top 8 finish with a view to have a real tilt at it the season after.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Out of contract and should go:

Kirkland(love to keep him but he won't stay as a No2), Buxton and Zayatte (always injured), Floro, Mattock, McCabe, Corry, Kelhar, Coke, Maghoma, Madine (all not good enough). Would be tempted to give Kelhar a chance before the season ends though.

New contract offers:

Loovens: 1 year...this is a must!!

Semedo: 1 year... he has been superb this season. I have heard he already has another year on his contract though.

Lee: 2 year...solid and started chipping in with goals

Maguire: 2 years.. a good squad player and sometimes makes an impact from the bench. Worth keeping around.

Young: 1 year... been solid on loan at Carlisle. Worth keeping as back up to Palmer and Vermijl.

Think we will need:

1 GK (back up)

1 LB

1 CB (experienced back up when Loovens is injured)

1 Cm (McGugan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

3 wingers

1 striker

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

Highlighted the problem yourself.

Yeah. I've been thinking about Zayatte and I guess in the past we'd have offered a new deal but the risk of him being unavailable for large periods makes me unsure if it's a good idea. I'd not be too upset either way TBH so long as it doesn't interfere with signing improved players elsewhere.

We definitely need someone to step into Loovens shoes, if not next season then the season after. Another Lees.

Out of contract and should go:

Kirkland(love to keep him but he won't stay as a No2), Buxton and Zayatte (always injured), Floro, Mattock, McCabe, Corry, Kelhar, Coke, Maghoma, Madine (all not good enough). Would be tempted to give Kelhar a chance before the season ends though.

New contract offers:

Loovens: 1 year...this is a must!!

Semedo: 1 year... he has been superb this season. I have heard he already has another year on his contract though.

Lee: 2 year...solid and started chipping in with goals

Maguire: 2 years.. a good squad player and sometimes makes an impact from the bench. Worth keeping around.

Young: 1 year... been solid on loan at Carlisle. Worth keeping as back up to Palmer and Vermijl.

Think we will need:

1 GK (back up)

1 LB

1 CB (experienced back up when Loovens is injured)

1 Cm (McGugan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

3 wingers

1 striker

A couple of those as loanees and sign 6 permanent...sounds about right to me. Not against signing 8 permanent but would be surprised to see it if we're looking at top level Championship players.

It's all very well saying, have a clear out, but we have to replace those players. Since we've had money, I've been a little puzzled by our transfer activity. Only McGugan of the six players signed has made a meaningful impression. All the others have yet to convince, although of course, some may still come good. We really need to be agreeing a fee with Watford now, for McGugan, not leaving him to sweat about his future. He's made it clear he'd like to stay, so the last thing we need is someone else coming in for him while we dither.

For me, all go. No room for sentimentality. We now have money to invest in a promotion challenging squad and good though some of the players may have looked at times in an average side, compared to the calibre of players we should be looking at would not get a look in IMO.

All players noted have obvious limitations be that ability or injury prone and we can and should be looking at better. We should be aiming at the McGugan standard of player and above, using this summer to reshape the squad significantly.

For me, all go. No room for sentimentality. We now have money to invest in a promotion challenging squad and good though some of the players may have looked at times in an average side, compared to the calibre of players we should be looking at would not get a look in IMO.

All players noted have obvious limitations be that ability or injury prone and we can and should be looking at better. We should be aiming at the McGugan standard of player and above, using this summer to reshape the squad significantly.

i reckon you could be in for a disappointing summer mate if you think we´ll get 10 players in around or above mcgugan.s standard .....

Kirklands gotta be on good money here, absolutely silly to pay that for a bench warmer when we have promising kids on our books

But if we can now afford it and he's prepared to stay it would make sense to have two quality keepers in the squad.

Kirkland wants 1st team football so will go. Keep Lee Maguire Loovens. Kelhar is rated very highly by staff so will be offered a deal. Zayatte and buxton injuries may rule out a deal beings offered.

Mattock and Maghoma will be offered deals. Whether we think they should or not is irrelevant. We need a big squad to push on. Promotion is not a must next season. Maghoma and Mattock can add a bit of depth to incomming players

Keep:

Kelhar - highly rated by staff and deserves a chance

Zayatte - made a vast improvement this season

Loovens - We'll really struggle to replace him with a defender of equal quality. 

Semedo - Earned himself a contract.

Lee - One of our better players, useful squad player and generally a tidy footballer. Seems lo love playing with McGugan.

Release all the others.

Seen a lot of people saying keep Maguire, but he isn't good enough to move the club forward

Kirkland

Lee

McGuire

Loovens

Coke

Corry

McCabe

Madine

Maghoma

Buxton

Mattock

Zayatte

Kelhar

Think that's it all! might be a few young uns as well

If that's it, I would think the only ones I would offer new deals to would be, Loovens, Mattock and Zayatte. I would have liked to have seen more of Corry and McCabe, but that wasn't to be. As for the rest, thanks but no thanks. If we're serious about making some kind of a promotion push next year, look at the top sides this season, and then ask yourself which of the players on that list would get a place in any of the top sides, and the answer would be none. Time to get rid.