BIG sponsorship deal

Guest mrbluesky

Wasn't there some loophole closed after the Man City renaming? It has to be in line with reasonable and fair sponsorship or something I.e you can't sponsor a stadium for 500m.

Wasn't there some loophole closed after the Man City renaming? It has to be in line with reasonable and fair sponsorship or something I.e you can't sponsor a stadium for 500m.

In Uefa's FFP.

Which, I will say again, is a completely different thing to the Football Leagues FFP.

Doesn't matter what the call it will always be known as hillsborough, Re-naming it though might help seperate it from the disaster to new fans and people abroad though.

True. 

I was talking to a group of non-football people who all agreed there was a stigma attached to the name.

The only thing they knew about Hillsborough was the disaster, one thought Liverpool played there.

Now I know this is all nonsense and irrelevant to many people.

But just think if the default view of Hillsborough is always going to be disaster among the general public, however unfair.

Obviously not good in the grand scheme of things!

True. 

I was talking to a group of non-football people who all agreed there was a stigma attached to the name.

The only thing they knew about Hillsborough was the disaster, one thought Liverpool played there.

Now I know this is all nonsense and irrelevant to many people.

But just think if the default view of Hillsborough is always going to be disaster among the general public, however unfair.

Obviously not good in the grand scheme of things!

But their non footballing people we aren't targeting them

As far as I'm concerned you can call the stadium anything you like if it brings in loads of cash.

Would be nice if you can incorporate "Hillsborough" or "Owlerton" into the name, ie The "whatever you like" Hillsborough Stadium

or The "what ever you like" Owlerton Stadium.

Being an old git I prefer Owlerton over Hillsborough and it also has the advantage of not being automatically associated with the

tragedy by the public at large.

However if we do incorporate the name "Owlerton" FFS will somebody teach those people at Radio Sheffield how to pronounce it !!!!

But their non footballing people we aren't targeting them

Yeah but it can't be a good thing if we want to attract attention, new fans, interest (or even new money)

That is all I'm saying mate. Stigma is not good!!

I know it's cosmetic, but now would be a good time to rename, much as I hate to say it.

Guest totemowl

Yeah but it can't be a good thing if we want to attract attention, new fans, interest (or even new money)

That is all I'm saying mate. Stigma is not good!!

I know it's cosmetic, but now would be a good time to rename, much as I hate to say it.

Baloney.

3 times since we've attracted significant new money.

For 25 years, we've been attracting new fans.

And the attention / publicity has never ceased. If anything it's increased.

If people can't make a distinction between the tragedy that happened and the football club and ground then that's down to their personal issues, not something we can sort out.

Edited by totemowl

Baloney.

3 times since we've attracted significant new money.

For 25 years, we've been attracting new fans.

And the attention / publicity has never ceased. If anything it's increased.

If people can't make a distinction between the tragedy that happened and the football club and ground then that's down to their personal issues, not something we can sort out.

But it is something we could sort, we could (should have already) change the west stand so that when all the old video's and photo's get shown it doesn't look like what's there now, Heysal is totally different, so is Ibbrox and Bradfords stand is too, ours is the only one that still resembles a tradegy, time it was changed so we can start to move on, I hope you'll help with the funding if you get elected...