Look at this photo... Is this a penalty ?

No because hes already falling before the contacts made!

This was brought across from foreign players, makes refs jobs so much tougher nowadays.

If Maguire stayed on his feet and tried to just get to the ball then he'd have been genuinely tripped and wouldve been a clear pen.

I have no sympathy for players who start to go down before contacts even made, it shows you are looking for it. Why cant players just genuinely focus on playing the ball and not worry about contact anymore?

It wouldve been a clear pen had Maguire not gone down early, wouldve been clear cut.

Its Ronaldo we have to thank for this falling before contact move, when he was at Man U. Now lots of players do it, stupidity.

People should realise thats what makes it much tougher for the refs to call now. The standards not gotten worse just refereeings become more difficult with players looking for fouls. And of course the fact it was us makes it easy for refs not to give a penalty.

Edited by swfc-dan

No because hes already falling before the contacts made!

This was brought across from foreign players, makes refs jobs so much tougher nowadays.

If Maguire stayed on his feet and tried to just get to the ball then he'd have been genuinely tripped and wouldve been a clear pen.

I have no sympathy for players who start to go down before contacts even made, it shows you are looking for it. Why cant players just genuinely focus on playing the ball and not worry about contact anymore?

It wouldve been a clear pen had Maguire not gone down early, wouldve been clear cut.

Its Ronaldo we have to thank for this falling before contact move, when he was at Man U. Now lots of players do it, stupidity.

People should realise thats what makes it much tougher for the refs to call now. The standards not gotten worse just refereeings become more difficult with players looking for fouls. And of course the fact it was us makes it easy for refs not to give a penalty.

I think maguire knew that deep down - it's only a split second but the ref would have seen his legs give way before contact - and i agree there was contact, so technically it could have been a pen.

Mcgugan was heading forward but was clipped in midfield. Gave a good flail as well and we got the free kick. Does that suddenly change in the box?

Yes it does.

The ref was looking for a reason not to give it and Maguire gave it him.

I blame Maguire. 

He needs to work on how he goes down.

Guest Sheff Owl

There is a natural and unnatural way players go down from pens, Maguire's is unnatural if touched or not, he doesn't need to do what he does.

Refs are looking and have to look due to people like Ashley Young, Arjen Robben and others trying to con a ref, of course they are gonna look for it especially with players who have history.

While ever players are continuing simulation and then the refs will continue to look and try to stamp it out.

The reason it isn't given is because Maguire is thick.

It's a penalty, but FFS why the hell does Maguire sit on his arse on his way down and appeal, FFS.

It saying to the ref, if I have the control to appeal whilst still on the way down, then it dive.

Thick Maguire, Thick.

Small margins in tight games & our players aren't smart enough.

Absolutely this. Pathetic from Maguire.

He needs to work on how he goes down.

lol how about not think about going down at all and just focus on the ball? Then if he crops you and takes you down there will be clear contact.

What does anyone else do when playing footy?

This falling before contact move has been passed on from foreign players. Never used to be part of our game, players should just toughen up and not premediate contact.

There is a natural and unnatural way players go down from pens, Maguire's is unnatural if touched or not, he doesn't need to do what he does.

Refs are looking and have to look due to people like Ashley Young, Arjen Robben and others trying to con a ref, of course they are gonna look for it especially with players who have history.

While ever players are continuing simulation and then the refs will continue to look and try to stamp it out.

Precisely. Well said lad.

It shouldn't and that's my point. The ref shouldn't be looking for reasons and should be consistent. If he deemed it a foul in midfield he should deem it a foul in the box

the only difference is Mcgugan was tripped & Maguire was tripped when he was already half way down lol

not sure if your fishing lol

I'd have to look at the magugan one again but at the time he seemed to be going forward anyway with the ball ahead of him and was clipped just slightly after and he made a big flailing motion. At the time I thought the ref may use that as an excuse, but he gave the foul. Rightly so., he was clipped as you say.

Again in real time I thought maguire was fouled and the reactions of both sides indicated they felt the same. They are often given and if a defender commits and fails then there is room to interpret it that way. Maguire www still clipped - even if he was theatrical the ball wasn't won.

Others obviously feel differently but if a player has a similar scenario in midfield and it's deemed a foul and booking I think the same should apply in the box in the same game.

I will have to agree to disagree with you rich.

If Maguire wasn't such a bleeding fanny in the way he falls down everytime then ref would have given it! All this over acting when players go down is convincing the refs that it's simulation! Who falls like that anyway?!?! Just fall down like a man stop flinging your arms out!

Edited by abrodie2002

If Maguire wasn't such a bleeding fanny in the way he falls down everytime then ref would have given it! All this over acting when players go down is convincing the refs that it's simulation! Who falls like that anyway?!?! Just fall down like a man stop flinging your arms out!

barcelona players do it all the time.  Seems to work for them

If the incident had happened in our box I'm pretty confident the penalty would've been given. Whether or not you think we deserved anything today or think we're a decent side or not? You can't deny we've been continually shafted by the officials for donkey's years!

Maguire has been booked for simulation before and the refs know the players who do it and look for it.

It was a pen but Maguire doesn't help himself sometimes with the way he tries to force it.

I agree with you. He does it just about every game. Why dunt he just take the weight of the tackle go down naturally and let the others appeal. It makes me think he has no brains.