Look at this photo... Is this a penalty ?

Having watched the replay I can't believe anyone thinks the ref got that right.

The debate of whether maguire went down a millisecond beforehand is bizarre.What a poorly timed challenge, it was a foul.

this

Also everyone slagging off Maguire after showing a good bit of skill in the box is just weird to me.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

It depends from which angle you see it, but seeing as people get booked when they don't even put a tackle in... On that judgement it should have been a Penalty, on saying that.. the ref had a good view and he booked the player for diving, there should be a lot more of that, just not when we do it.

We're talking less than a second or so before he was fouled. He was still wiped out by a defender and it was a penalty

I understand what you're saying but it's also pretty simple to see that it was a clear pen

if he didn't go down prior to getting touched I would agree.

10 secs or a 1 sec it doesn't matter he still went down before getting clipped.

Edited by richowl

Gerard got a penalty at Bramall Lane without getting touched because he had to take evasive action to avoid the challenge.

No matter what Maguire did he wasn't ever going to avoid that challenge and it was as clear a penalty as you will ever see.

The Maguire haters are using it as a stick to beat him.

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/chris-maguire-speaks-on-controversial-incident-2100157.aspx

“It was a penalty, a definite penalty. I knocked the ball on and I was tripped, it was as simple as that.

“It all happened so quickly. When you are tripped like that there is nothing that goes through your mind other than ‘that’s a penalty’.

“We were live on Sky, there was no way I would take a dive, it would have been embarrassing in front of the nation.

“It was a foul, it was stonewall, but the referee didn’t give it and there’s nothing we can do about it.

“To make matters worse I was booked and that’s a card that cannot be taken away and a card on my record.”

Maguire anticipates the contact and starts to go down before he is touched. It is a reasonable argument that he was committing the offense of simulation before the defender fouled him giving the ref justification for what he gave.

99/100 for other teams it would have been given as a penalty.