Evolution or revolution?

Guest sotonowl

financially we aren't that far behind anymore

technically, i don't understand where you get that from, how are we technically miles behind?

as we aren't a transport or warehousing company, i cant for the life of me see how logistics come into it

Logistically we are behind commercially...our turnover is woeful.

We have only just established a scouting network and proper academy in the last couple of years.

Simply how we operate - when it comes to contract negotiations and our transfer policy is nothing compared to our peers.

Technically speaking we are lacking in that most of our squads are made up of loan players, short term contracts or squad players. We have to rip up the rule book every year to accomodate our poor budgets whilst other clubs build and evolve year on year and grow.

Where does everyone stand on this? Are you impetuous or patient?

I reckon this is a 3 to 5 year project to return to the PL.

Surely we can't bring in 3/4 players on twice or thrice what the others are on without causing upset can we?

Personally I reckon an easy top half finish next season, play off push the season after but can see the 3rd season at the earliest before we go up.

McCormacks been mentioned, well that aint gonna happen, it can't be done that quick.Can it?

Id replace 3-5 with 1-3. First year with a large slice of luck (you never know) and then years 2-3 as realistic if the reports are to be believed, depending on how well on field issues are managed. Look at Leicester, as soon as then got realistic with players wages ect. And stabilised again after Sven, they went up.

The turnover worries me, that has to be increased.

If he goes poo poo or bust it could end up costing him a fortune.

Still think a 3/5 year plan of increasing turnover and steady improvement on the field is the key

He isn't a multi millionaire/billionaire because he's crap at business, he'll have an exact plan in place as we speak

Guest Darkus Owlus

3 - 5 would be a  target had we carried on with investment would it not?

With investment he won't want his new purchase to sit and 'bide it's time' in a revenue sapped CCC - we'll be going for some decent signings right after his press conference, mark my words, this is it. 

Logistically we are behind commercially...our turnover is woeful.

We have only just established a scouting network and proper academy in the last couple of years.

Simply how we operate - when it comes to contract negotiations and our transfer policy is nothing compared to our peers.

Technically speaking we are lacking in that most of our squads are made up of loan players, short term contracts or squad players. We have to rip up the rule book every year to accomodate our poor budgets whilst other clubs build and evolve year on year and grow.

i still fail to see what logistics have to do with anything, and how we can become commercially more viable by improving logistics is again, beyond me

true we have had too many loans in important positions, and we have some players out of contract, but how that equates to us being technically inept, again i simply cant see

we are far from a competitive squad at the moment, but financially lacking, technically poor, and logistically inept are 3 phrases i don't think are true, in fact, as reasons as to why we cant now become a leading player in this league, quite frankly, i don't think they make any sense

Look where that got us! Millions in debt and hours from going bust. I'm pleased we got loads money but please don't let us go down same route of careless spending.

miss management, shocking recruitment, and poor contracts negotiated by those in charge at the time caused our decline, nothing else, the amount of money we spent was pretty reasonable, its who we spent it on that was the trouble

miss management, shocking recruitment, and poor contracts negotiated by those in charge at the time caused our decline, nothing else, the amount of money we spent was pretty reasonable, its who we spent it on that was the trouble

Yep, I agree. We've never been big spenders even as an established top flight team. We'd buy the next best thing and regret it.

I still think that we shouldn't pay over the odds for players though if we can help it.

Till I die is spot on. People thinking we can spend millions with no consequence are naïve in the extreme. As with all football owners, they stack that expenditure as debt against the football club (or the company). If it all goes t*ts up the club still owes the money to the owner. He tries to sell the club with the debt included in the price.

We've been down this road before.

Bolton will never be taken over for this very reason.

If he can put 10 million into getting a french ligue 2 side promoted he should be able to double that for an English championship side. He knows how much that premier league prize is worth he won't want to wait 3 years for it. Sooner the better I feel he will be thinking.

I reckon he will want to do this quickly for the following reasons:

If the various press articles are to be believed, currently he is big mates with the people in power in Azerbaijan which has enabled him to obtain contracts generating his wealth. But in many of these countries things can change quickly, i.e. the regime or just a fall out with those in power (we've seen it before plenty of times especially in the former Soviet republics) so who knows how long his primary source of income is likely to continue.

Buying a football club like ours is a great way of getting a considerable chunk of money out of the country and creating an asset. That asset has cost him 40 million quid, but if we were a premiership club we could be worth 5 or 6 times more. If things then were to become uncomfortable he has created a very considerable fortune outside. Obviously this is speculation, but given all his other football investments this seems to make sense.

In respect of him and lots of other foreign owners I think it is about creating assets that they can fall back on if for any reason they become persona non-grata at home.

So my guess is revolution and create that really valuable asset quickly, maybe 1-2 seasons. Play offs this season and if that doesn't get us up automatics next I assume would be his targets.

Guest NottinghamshireOwl

Anyone hoping for us to buy the league in the next 2 years is going to extremely disappointed. 

1- It doesn't work like that. Money helps, sure. But it doesn't equal success.

2- The type of player that you end up with when you try and convince players to come to a lower placed team just for money is not the type of player I want at the club. Do we really want our own Chris Sambas and Loic Remys?

3- There are still other teams with much more spending power than us.

Always been a bit of a revolutionary (Teen heroes were Castro and Che Guevara).......but on this it's more of an assisted evolution for me, think it would be more sustainable. Judging by the reports from Mamma's dealings in France it seems to be his way too.

Power to the evolution!

Whilst we may not be here forever there is a responsibility to make sure the club is. We will increase losses, it's unavoidable but if we didn't go up in two years and we had losses of 50m -60m that could be seriously painful, unless mammadov is the kind of guy who writes it off.

It's really easily done though, looking at teams like forest. Will be interesting to see how mammadov chooses to proceed.