Evolution or revolution?

Guest sotonowl

Guest sotonowl

I disagree, this is the aspect I was referring to earlier.

Any player doing well at a team plays with a smile on his face - it comes as part and parcel.

We have been doing poor but attracting players willing to chip in under tough times, those are the good lads and to be honest I am tired of it. Let some other chump team be the whipping boys as they clap themselves to League One just like we did.

We need attitude, conviction, application and intention. For that you need money.

We all want to return to the prem asap but what sticks in my gullet are players like best, bothrord and the whole of the qpr team from the season before last, I just hope we don't finish up with coonts like that playing for us.

Where does everyone stand on this? Are you impetuous or patient?

I reckon this is a 3 to 5 year project to return to the PL.

Surely we can't bring in 3/4 players on twice or thrice what the others are on without causing upset can we?

Personally I reckon an easy top half finish next season, play off push the season after but can see the 3rd season at the earliest before we go up.

McCormacks been mentioned, well that aint gonna happen, it can't be done that quick.Can it?

I tend to agree with you but at the same time I can't help but think that you don't spend a reported €50m to dordle around for 3 or 4 years. Edited by Chris Akabusi

If your definition of good lad is plucky but cr4p then yeah I agree.

But the attitude of the squad when the chips are down is vital. I want good lads who are good and have something to prove and if we do our homework it doesn't mean starting again

The irony is that a few players that have played for us over the last ten years have not been good enough BUT...were of such a luxury status would have slipped into a top 8 side no problems. Because we spend our seasons chasing games and working TOO hard based on our resources.

It takes a certain kind of player to be able to thrive in a relegation side, because by it's very nature a relegation side is poor. The one player that will do well on our improved status will be Antonio. for instance.

The irony is that a few players that have played for us over the last ten years have not been good enough BUT...were of such a luxury status would have slipped into a top 8 side no problems. Because we spend our seasons chasing games and working TOO hard based on our resources.

It takes a certain kind of player to be able to thrive in a relegation side, because by it's very nature a relegation side is poor. The one player that will do well on our improved status will be Antonio. for instance.

True I agree with that in the sense that when a player has to try and carry a team it can become too much. Antonio seems a confidence player who may do better with others around him, but I also think he will need to learn to share and allow others to help him.

There are others who could thrive, especially maguire, Palmer and lee

Guest Markowl1

With a few very good signings we would be pushing for playoffs imo not far off last season if it gets to xmas see where we are then go for it could see our gafes rise sharply with a promotion push

Guest sotonowl

Getting a top manager in would make all the difference I reckon

We already have one, give him a chance please.

Guest sotonowl

I always get the impression theres more to come from Antonio, love to see him do well. I work with a few saints season ticket holders who thought highly of him

1 year if we are very lucky but 2 or 3 years is more realistic.

The Championship is a highly competitive division not only that there are many teams backed by wealthy owners and/or big parachute payments.

The past two seasons we've scraped by on a low budget backed up with some high profile loanee's and just barely stayed up both seasons.

More importantly our squad is weak, only a handful of players you could say wouldn't look out of place in a top half challenging side in this division and only a few have the potential to make it in the top division. That suggests to me that it will take a time, more than one season to build on what we already have and to strengthen all the weaknesses we have in our starting eleven and our squad to turn us from a bottom six/lower half side into a top six/top half side. It's not impossible but patience is key. I reckon in 2 or 3 years we will do it.   

Revolution - with restraint.

We are so far behind other clubs financially, technically and logistically.

Some of our fans think a new scoreboard is the height of sophistication when they are pretty standard now even down to League One.

No more 'good lads' or anyone that 'loves the club' please.

Just go out and buy the best players we can afford and pay the wages that players deserve.

financially we aren't that far behind anymore

technically, i don't understand where you get that from, how are we technically miles behind?

as we aren't a transport or warehousing company, i cant for the life of me see how logistics come into it

Guest zico sterland

If you invest 40 to 50 million its doubtfull you want to hang around , it could be exciting times at s6 .