Should Wednesday decline promotion to the Premier League?

I can see where Maple is coming from but at the end of the day the fans don't own the club. MM does or which ever rich playboy/syndicate he sells us to. I can't see any way such an owner would pass up either the money or the kudos that comes from owning a Premiership club.

There would also be a dressing room revolt if we turned down promotion. Al the players would want the glory of playing in the PL never mind their chance to earn the inflated salaries a promotion would bring.

For the supporters though the prospect of getting beaten week in week out would be miserable.....what am I saying? We should be used to it after the last 2 years experience in the Championship under the miserable 2@ DJ. 

Edited by prowl

I get what you mean Maple.

I undertand where Maple is coming from as well, bro.

I understand exactly where he is coming from too.

Both with regard to competition - and Premiership away ticket prices too.

I think I paid £40:00 for a rubbish seat at Stamford Bridge in the late 90's?

It's not that stupid a question to ask IMO.

Guest CageFightingOwl

Lets sack promotion off.

Be happy to be bottom end Champ and a couple of seasons in League One to mix it up.

Milan will be delighted with this news.

Quickly offers Llera, Prutton, JJ, Reda, Davies, Taylor and Gardner new deals. 

No ambition.

Who? Me?

provocative post with some interesting and valid points, but we can't turn down over 100 million pounds!!!

On ticket prices, my barber is a Stoke St holder and paid only £60 more than me for next season.

Haven't the West Brom lads said theirs are cheaper than ours.  Pretty sure there's a few in the PL that cost less than one at Hillsborough.

I wouldn't turn down promotion due to a perceived lack of competition in the top flight.

But I would turn down promotion based on the fact that the Premier League is killing the rest of football - and I have very little desire to be part of that.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I go to watch Wednesday, the opposition are irrelevant. Makes no difference to me if it's MK Dons or man Utd.  I have an interest in Galatasaray and the Turkish national side, and have only seen one England game (went to Wembley in the early/mid 70's with a gang of Scottish mates), and probably wont bother with the Worl Cup this summer.

Wednesday, first second and last.

Having said that, I'd rather watch us being competitive in a league than just being there to make up the numbers.

I've always maintained that I'd cast the premier League adrift, and have no promotion to it or relegation from it, ban then from the FA and League cups, and let the over priced, overpaid prima donna's go their own way.

that was the point of the discussion I mentioned above. The danger that some fans would lose interest and stop going

Even if it were a choice, we should of course not decline the opportunity to be in the PL as the income generated by TV etc would be useful even if relegated straight away. The champ is also fast becoming a league of two halves with parachute payments, ticket prices are not being reduced when teams come down from PL so they are driving up the prices for away games anyway. Wolves are coming back up with parachute payments still applying from PL so that, you would imagine, will be an immediate advantage next season

I go to watch Wednesday, the opposition are irrelevant. Makes no difference to me if it's MK Dons or man Utd.  I have an interest in Galatasaray and the Turkish national side, and have only seen one England game (went to Wembley in the early/mid 70's with a gang of Scottish mates), and probably wont bother with the Worl Cup this summer.

Wednesday, first second and last.

Having said that, I'd rather watch us being competitive in a league than just being there to make up the numbers.

I've always maintained that I'd cast the premier League adrift, and have no promotion to it or relegation from it, ban then from the FA and League cups, and let the over priced, overpaid prima donna's go their own way.

you could argue that with the new money the Premiership could become a closed shop of sorts. As already said one season in the premiership could be worth £100 mill the teams who come down next season will have a huge war chest to use to get automatic promotion

Guest alanchinny

It's official - The worst post ever on Owlstalk has been posted

No Milan Mandaric ?  was the worst ever post on Owlstalk lol.

if we got a man city type owner who had an open cheque book I wouldn't mind at all.i know some would like slow progress but if someone came in this summer and bought the club then told gray go get who you want money no object.how many would complain not many I bet.

If somebody came in with that type of cash then Gray wouldn't be the manager

I understand what the OP is saying - and a lot of people on here who are dismissing it will be the biggest moaners when we start a season with relegation-avoidance as our only ambition

Bigger, wealthier clubs than us can't even begin to think about challenging

We are lights years away from anything more than making up the numbers in the premiership - and hoping to stay that way

Edited by scram

Guest trusty_left_peg

Imagine not actually wanting to your team to test itself against the very best teams this country has to offer, and getting a huge audience worldwide for the football club that you support.

1389277281334.jpg

The way things are going with the EPL,we are not too far off the day when Promotion and Relegation are done away with and the PL moves towards a RFL Franchise system as they have in Rugby League and that will be the day I stop watching football altogether. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Guest CageFightingOwl

15 years of 2nd and 3rd division football as effected people more than i thought.

Sheffield Wednesdsay should be in the Premier League.

I dont care that the top 4/5 are in there own mini League.

Id settle for 4th bottom every season, we would be f'kin loaded too.

This just highlights how much apathy is around the place, you can see it a mile off.

Bunch of losers.

15 years of 2nd and 3rd division football as effected people more than i thought.

Sheffield Wednesdsay should be in the Premier League.

I dont care that the top 4/5 are in there own mini League.

Id settle for 4th bottom every season, we would be f'kin loaded too.

This just highlights how much apathy is around the place, you can see it a mile off.

Bunch of losers.

Why should we be in the premier league?

And fo you not see the irony of accepting 4th bottom every season - then calling others "losers" who aren't so keen on that as the height of ambition?