Should Wednesday decline promotion to the Premier League?

Wednesday belong in the top flight.

Clubs like ******* Burnley and Stoke in the Premier League over us aggravates me.

Why do we belong in the top flight.

This self entitlement and arrogance really grates with me.

No club has a divine right to be in the top flight, thats not what football is about as well. Hopefully we never get to the stage where people at the top actually implement something like Scudamores idea.

Indeed we deserve to be where we are as we have f*cked up royally on and off the field.

An even better solution would be for the top six or so clubs to join a brand new European league, no promotion to or relegation from thereafter.

The only problem with that is, all the money from the top flight leagues would go with them. With the like of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Ac Milan, PSG, Juventus, Chelsea, Man City etc in one league who'd subscribe to watch Swansea vs Wednesday in the premier league if you didn't support either of those teams?

I don't think there's any real solution because you can't criticize or stop teams being more successful than others. 

A possible way to even things out would be to have a salary cap where each team can use up to 25m a season (subject to finances) Then you could possibly set up a draft system for young talent so that it gets spread out more evenly between the teams.

Does anyone think that there's too many teams playing in English football?

The only problem with that is, all the money from the top flight leagues would go with them. With the like of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Ac Milan, PSG, Juventus, Chelsea, Man City etc in one league who'd subscribe to watch Swansea vs Wednesday in the premier league if you didn't support either of those teams?

I don't think there's any real solution because you can't criticize or stop teams being more successful than others. 

A possible way to even things out would be to have a salary cap where each team can use up to 25m a season (subject to finances) Then you could possibly set up a draft system for young talent so that it gets spread out more evenly between the teams.

Does anyone think that there's too many teams playing in English football?

Salary caps will never work, there would be so many loop holes that you might as well let the top clubs pay the best players what they want because they will anyway.

As for your last point its been talked about for years that there are too many professional football clubs in England however I dont see a sensible solution, eg Why should a city such as Shrewsbury have their team taken from them, its part of the community even if there are more man Utd fans there than local supporters.

Guest NottinghamshireOwl

It's very interesting how many people would accept one poor season in the sun for a seemingly big wedge of cash.

IMO, we've never fully recovered from the last time we were in the premier league, to the point of almost losing the club completely until Milan stepped in. There's a great line from Moby d i ck that sums things up, "If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

Why would instant relegation from the premier league be so acceptable? Look how many teams not only dropped one division, but dropped two. Man City, Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves, Wednesday, United, Coventry, Barnsley, Bradford.

How many people would want us to risk that again?

In fairness I think times have changed. The amount of parachute payments you receive now is ridiculous and I think because of that, unless you go absolutely crazy with the money, there is little to no risk of going bust afterwards. I mean even if you sign players on inflated wages and are immediately relegated, provided those players aren't on longer than 3 year deals the parachute payments alone will pay off the rest of their contracts. 

Wednesday belong in the top flight.

Clubs like ******* Burnley and Stoke in the Premier League over us aggravates me.

But these teams more or less play to get 38pts per season, just as we played for 50pts this season. How much fun was this season, how much fun / how good did it feel following Wednesday for the last 8 games this season when there was nothing to play for.

The ideal for the lower end clubs is to reach say 38pts as quickly as possible (the magical safety barrier), but then what? Everyone just relaxes because they're safe. Can you imagine that, season, after season, after season simply because you've got no chance of winning the title?

But these teams more or less play to get 38pts per season, just as we played for 50pts this season. How much fun was this season, how much fun / how good did it feel following Wednesday for the last 8 games this season when there was nothing to play for.

The ideal for the lower end clubs is to reach say 38pts as quickly as possible (the magical safety barrier), but then what? Everyone just relaxes because they're safe. Can you imagine that, season, after season, after season simply because you've got no chance of winning the title?

Season after season after season of mid-table mediocrity in the top flight? Compared to where we are now? Yes please. Even compared to season after season after season of just missing out on promotion, yes please.

Salary caps will never work, there would be so many loop holes that you might as well let the top clubs pay the best players what they want because they will anyway.

As for your last point its been talked about for years that there are too many professional football clubs in England however I dont see a sensible solution, eg Why should a city such as Shrewsbury have their team taken from them, its part of the community even if there are more man Utd fans there than local supporters.

I'm not so sure about that. Certainly there are loopholes and teams will try it on but, I think it works reasonably well when implemented correctly. Plenty of examples in recent times of punishment handed down to clubs in Australian sport who had breached salary cap regulations. Take a look at what happened to the Melbourne Storm (as one quite marked example). There are others though less striking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Storm_salary_cap_breach

I don't think we need to worry about not wanting to be in the Premier League the way things are going.

Don't you go chucking facts into the mix now.

I am going to assume the OP didn't follow the club when we were in the top division?

I did but an awful lot has changed since then. Look how much it cost to assemble the team that finished 3rd in the 90's and look how much it would cost now in transfer fees, agent fees and wages to put a similar team together. When you can get David Hirst  and John Sheridan put together for less than a million, you can see how much times have changed. 

Saying no to the Premiership is a definite no no for me.

However, the Yoyo strategy made famous by ourselves and financially fine tuned by WBA in recent years does have a certain appeal; Avoiding the stupidity of wasting new found resources on simply trying to avoid relegation.

Just one year in the Premiership buys an abundance of building time if managed right !