Should Wednesday decline promotion to the Premier League?

I think this was a good OP post. I don't agree with its conclusions because I think the natural tendency for all fans is to want to see the club succeed at the highest level possible but sometimes you've got to be careful what you wish for and it is certainly worthy of discussion, not the flippant disregard given by some.

I know a lot of younger posters on here will only have known Wednesday as a crap team and ache for a day when Wednesday compete again at the highest levels. The same applied to those of us who grew up following Wednesday in the '70's. When the club finally made it back into the 1st division in 1984 and then more than held its own it was an amazing time for those of us that had never experienced it before.

However there are also many on here who remember those days outside of the top flight with a certain sense of nostalgia and pleasure. True the team was awful and the results at places like Walsall (1-5), Wrexham (0-4), Darlington (0-1), Mansfield (0-3), and York (0-3) were horrific but it was the day out, the camaraderie, the "all-in-it-together" attitude of payers, staff and fans that have stayed longest in the memory. Really it didn't matter the level of play, it was being part of the family that mattered. There were a lot of smiles mixed in with the angst even back then. 

Now Wednesday beating the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton, Liverpool, Forest, Tottenham, and Arsenal which they did that first year back was truly sensational. The thought of being able to do that today would be amazing. But in order to do that today the club would - I think - have to sell its soul. It would have to bring in outside investors that see the club only as a money making machine and a boost to the owner's ego. It would need to bring in mercenary players that have even less emotional connection with the club and the fans than the likes of Sibon and De Bilde did last time round. It would require the fans that go to the games to be prepared to pay through the nose even more so than today. And it would require an attitude that panders far more to the global TV audience than the fans that have supported the club through thick and thin.

Would the fans take the opportunity if it came at that price? Absolutely, for exactly the same reasons that we were all so pleased to be back on the 1st division in the 1980's. But I doubt very much that the club would still be the same and if losing that connection is what it would take to compete at the highest levels again then I guess we'd all just have to suck it up and accept it.

I couldn't honestly wish for anything other than the club to be as successful as possible, but there is a real chance that the club would never be the same again if it reached the Premiership and genuinely tried to compete. I personally think that's worthy of discussion. 

another question would be if we get into the Premiership with a mega rich owner i'd bet a reasonably large amount of money that at some point the issue of a new ground would rear it's ugly head. Would that be worth it?

It's very interesting how many people would accept one poor season in the sun for a seemingly big wedge of cash.

IMO, we've never fully recovered from the last time we were in the premier league, to the point of almost losing the club completely until Milan stepped in. There's a great line from Moby d i ck that sums things up, "If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

Why would instant relegation from the premier league be so acceptable? Look how many teams not only dropped one division, but dropped two. Man City, Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves, Wednesday, United, Coventry, Barnsley, Bradford.

How many people would want us to risk that again?

Suppose that's where the gamble comes in. Do you sign decent players on above average wages and hope they can keep you in the Premiership or do you buy good players on mega wages again hoping they keep you in the league with the added gamble of will they stay if we go down or can we get rid as Brum have been trying to do and failed

Guest NottinghamshireOwl

I agree. When we don't get promoted this season, this will be the reason why. We didn't want to win the league anyway.

Personally I can see both sides of the argument. The success and everything would be nice.

But with £ 50 / £ 60 away tickets and more daft kick off times I'd end up watching a load less football.

I've watched most of my football at the second level and by and large it's been good enough for me.

As bizarre as it may sound to some, if it was possible, should Wednesday decline promotion to the top flight of English football if we ever got to that position?

What's actually in it for the fans? For me, it challenges why people watch Wednesday and why people go to football games.

Some people may say that it would be great to see the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City's world class players playing at Hillsborough. But, doesn't this change your view of football? You're paying increased prices to see the opposition, not to see Sheffield Wednesday. 

For some, going to a football match is about cheering a Wednesday goal, the atmosphere and seeing your team win. Their's no better feeling for the start of the weekend when Wednesday play well and win and no worse feeling when they don't. 

If Wednesday got to the premiership, we've realistically got no chance of winning the title and a slim chance of qualifying for Europe. The best opportunity for European football would be the cup competitions, which you don't have to be a premier league team to win or enter. All the point of each league campaign would be to stay up and keep revenue streams high for the club. 

With increased TV money etc, shouldn't teams reduce ticket prices and give something back to the fans instead of pushing them up and charging a premium?

Staying in the lower leagues with a good, competitive team would see us win a lot more games each season than if we were in the premiership. It would be cheaper for the fans and cheaper for the owners as well. No matter which league you are in, losing most weeks decreases attendances, otherwise every single team in the premiership would have sold out games every single week. 

Fans crave success, but success in football these days costs huge amounts of money. Some would say too much money to risk. We've had two stabilizing years in the championship and look how many people are getting frustrated that we're not progressing or should I say, not progressing fast enough. It would be even worse in the premiership. 

When economic times are tough, how many people would pay inflated prices to see their beloved team lose more than they win in the premiership. Shiny toys don't stay shiny forever.

There are many types of football supporter …….. which one are you?

5The drugs don't work lol

As bizarre as it may sound to some, if it was possible, should Wednesday decline promotion to the top flight of English football if we ever got to that position?

What's actually in it for the fans? For me, it challenges why people watch Wednesday and why people go to football games.

Some people may say that it would be great to see the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City's world class players playing at Hillsborough. But, doesn't this change your view of football? You're paying increased prices to see the opposition, not to see Sheffield Wednesday. 

For some, going to a football match is about cheering a Wednesday goal, the atmosphere and seeing your team win. Their's no better feeling for the start of the weekend when Wednesday play well and win and no worse feeling when they don't. 

If Wednesday got to the premiership, we've realistically got no chance of winning the title and a slim chance of qualifying for Europe. The best opportunity for European football would be the cup competitions, which you don't have to be a premier league team to win or enter. All the point of each league campaign would be to stay up and keep revenue streams high for the club. 

With increased TV money etc, shouldn't teams reduce ticket prices and give something back to the fans instead of pushing them up and charging a premium?

Staying in the lower leagues with a good, competitive team would see us win a lot more games each season than if we were in the premiership. It would be cheaper for the fans and cheaper for the owners as well. No matter which league you are in, losing most weeks decreases attendances, otherwise every single team in the premiership would have sold out games every single week. 

Fans crave success, but success in football these days costs huge amounts of money. Some would say too much money to risk. We've had two stabilizing years in the championship and look how many people are getting frustrated that we're not progressing or should I say, not progressing fast enough. It would be even worse in the premiership. 

When economic times are tough, how many people would pay inflated prices to see their beloved team lose more than they win in the premiership. Shiny toys don't stay shiny forever.

To go up for me look at Wigan who stayed in for 9 years and won a cup on low crowds.

To go up for me look at Wigan who stayed in for 9 years and won a cup on low crowds.

goal posts with T.V money have moved massively this year though, don't forget Cardiff come down with £62 million burning a hole in their pocket along with a mega rich owner

I go to watch Wednesday, the opposition are irrelevant. Makes no difference to me if it's MK Dons or man Utd.  I have an interest in Galatasaray and the Turkish national side, and have only seen one England game (went to Wembley in the early/mid 70's with a gang of Scottish mates), and probably wont bother with the Worl Cup this summer.

Wednesday, first second and last.

Having said that, I'd rather watch us being competitive in a league than just being there to make up the numbers.

I've always maintained that I'd cast the premier League adrift, and have no promotion to it or relegation from it, ban then from the FA and League cups, and let the over priced, overpaid prima donna's go their own way.

An even better solution would be for the top six or so clubs to join a brand new European league, no promotion to or relegation from thereafter.

An even better solution would be for the top six or so clubs to join a brand new European league, no promotion to or relegation from thereafter.

Already being looked at and some people say plans are well advanced

I get what you mean Maple. there was a discussion on the radio about this the other day. Basically what was said is that the Premiership is split into 3 mini leagues. One of around 4 - 6 teams who have a chance of winning the title. The others are split in to 8-10 teams that are happy to finish mid table and 4-6 teams who will be relegated. with some of the teams outside the top ones moving between the other two groups.

I don't think there are 3 mini leagues personally - I think there are two.

1st to 7th - everyone underneath will fight relegation.

Southampton may have had a good season this year but they could quite easily be fighting relegation next year.

Just look at us.

Or even Villa in previous years.

I don't think there are 3 mini leagues personally - I think there are two.

1st to 7th - everyone underneath will fight relegation.

Southampton may have had a good season this year but they could quite easily be fighting relegation next year.

Just look at us.

Or even Villa in previous years.

wouldn't argue with that mate just repeating what was said :biggrin:

It's very interesting how many people would accept one poor season in the sun for a seemingly big wedge of cash.

IMO, we've never fully recovered from the last time we were in the premier league, to the point of almost losing the club completely until Milan stepped in. There's a great line from Moby d i ck that sums things up, "If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

Why would instant relegation from the premier league be so acceptable? Look how many teams not only dropped one division, but dropped two. Man City, Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves, Wednesday, United, Coventry, Barnsley, Bradford.

How many people would want us to risk that again?

My reasons have very little to do with the cash.

I just want to see us in the top flight again (where Wednesday belong). I'm willing to be patient though and would love us to do it right from a stable and sustainable base.

If we did ever get to the Premiership our fans would boo our own players if we didn't beat a Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Sad but true

Owlstalk Shop

There would also be a dressing room revolt if we turned down promotion. Al the players would want the glory of playing in the PL never mind their chance to earn the inflated salaries a promotion would bring.

End of discussion, surely? What would happen the season after we turned down promotion? Would we be challenging for promotion again? I don't think so. How likely would we be to attract the investment needed to compete even at the top end of the championship if the investor had no chance of hitting the premier league jackpot? Not very. I doubt the fans would be happy with such a lack of ambition either, especially if the blunts ever got their act together and got back in the premier league themselves.