Should Wednesday decline promotion to the Premier League?

As bizarre as it may sound to some, if it was possible, should Wednesday decline promotion to the top flight of English football if we ever got to that position?

What's actually in it for the fans? For me, it challenges why people watch Wednesday and why people go to football games.

Some people may say that it would be great to see the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City's world class players playing at Hillsborough. But, doesn't this change your view of football? You're paying increased prices to see the opposition, not to see Sheffield Wednesday. 

For some, going to a football match is about cheering a Wednesday goal, the atmosphere and seeing your team win. Their's no better feeling for the start of the weekend when Wednesday play well and win and no worse feeling when they don't. 

If Wednesday got to the premiership, we've realistically got no chance of winning the title and a slim chance of qualifying for Europe. The best opportunity for European football would be the cup competitions, which you don't have to be a premier league team to win or enter. All the point of each league campaign would be to stay up and keep revenue streams high for the club. 

With increased TV money etc, shouldn't teams reduce ticket prices and give something back to the fans instead of pushing them up and charging a premium?

Staying in the lower leagues with a good, competitive team would see us win a lot more games each season than if we were in the premiership. It would be cheaper for the fans and cheaper for the owners as well. No matter which league you are in, losing most weeks decreases attendances, otherwise every single team in the premiership would have sold out games every single week. 

Fans crave success, but success in football these days costs huge amounts of money. Some would say too much money to risk. We've had two stabilizing years in the championship and look how many people are getting frustrated that we're not progressing or should I say, not progressing fast enough. It would be even worse in the premiership. 

When economic times are tough, how many people would pay inflated prices to see their beloved team lose more than they win in the premiership. Shiny toys don't stay shiny forever.

There are many types of football supporter …….. which one are you?

As bizarre as it may sound to some, if it was possible, should Wednesday decline promotion to the top flight of English football if we ever got to that position?

What's actually in it for the fans? For me, it challenges why people watch Wednesday and why people go to football games.

Some people may say that it would be great to see the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City's world class players playing at Hillsborough. But, doesn't this change your view of football? You're paying increased prices to see the opposition, not to see Sheffield Wednesday. 

For some, going to a football match is about cheering a Wednesday goal, the atmosphere and seeing your team win. Their's no better feeling for the start of the weekend when Wednesday play well and win and no worse feeling when they don't. 

If Wednesday got to the premiership, we've realistically got no chance of winning the title and a slim chance of qualifying for Europe. The best opportunity for European football would be the cup competitions, which you don't have to be a premier league team to win or enter. All the point of each league campaign would be to stay up and keep revenue streams high for the club. 

With increased TV money etc, shouldn't teams reduce ticket prices and give something back to the fans instead of pushing them up and charging a premium?

Staying in the lower leagues with a good, competitive team would see us win a lot more games each season than if we were in the premiership. It would be cheaper for the fans and cheaper for the owners as well. No matter which league you are in, losing most weeks decreases attendances, otherwise every single team in the premiership would have sold out games every single week. 

Fans crave success, but success in football these days costs huge amounts of money. Some would say too much money to risk. We've had two stabilizing years in the championship and look how many people are getting frustrated that we're not progressing or should I say, not progressing fast enough. It would be even worse in the premiership. 

When economic times are tough, how many people would pay inflated prices to see their beloved team lose more than they win in the premiership. Shiny toys don't stay shiny forever.

No on so many levels, the bold part highlighted by Arsenal and Man City winning the cups this year.

I get what you mean Maple. there was a discussion on the radio about this the other day. Basically what was said is that the Premiership is split into 3 mini leagues. One of around 4 - 6 teams who have a chance of winning the title. The others are split in to 8-10 teams that are happy to finish mid table and 4-6 teams who will be relegated. with some of the teams outside the top ones moving between the other two groups.

It's a yes and a no from me. I believe we need to have ambition and a goal to work towards otherwise everyone would lose interest. Personally can't stand the PL as clubs of lesser financial means are just cannon fodder for the top 6 and the odd good result if you're lucky. Best you can hope for then is just staying up and hope for some rich benefactor to arrive, but as we've seen with Cardiff and others, that's not always welcome. I like the championship, hopefully more good days than bad next season.

It's a yes and a no from me. I believe we need to have ambition and a goal to work towards otherwise everyone would lose interest. Personally can't stand the PL as clubs of lesser financial means are just cannon fodder for the top 6 and the odd good result if you're lucky. Best you can hope for then is just staying up and hope for some rich benefactor to arrive, but as we've seen with Cardiff and others, that's not always welcome. I like the championship, hopefully more good days than bad next season.

that was the point of the discussion I mentioned above. The danger that some fans would lose interest and stop going

I get what you mean Maple. there was a discussion on the radio about this the other day. Basically what was said is that the Premiership is split into 3 mini leagues. One of around 4 - 6 teams who have a chance of winning the title. The others are split in to 8-10 teams that are happy to finish mid table and 4-6 teams who will be relegated. with some of the teams outside the top ones moving between the other two groups.

I undertand where Maple is coming from as well, bro.

I'm guessing the older fans(that dont get to Hillsborough as much as we'd like) like ourselves aren't that fussed about premiership football, would be nice but not the be all and end all it's made out to be,

But it's become the holy grail, I suspect the supporters/season ticket holders dont go just to make up the numbers, they want to see success in any shape or form, but it's a double edged sword unless we get a rich benefactor.

So you're saying we should have stayed in league one then....

Don't think that's what he saying I think was he's trying to say is that if we get into the Prem we have little or no chance of winning it unless a very very rich person buys us. So our other choice is to end up a mid table side again probably costing quite a bit of cash or become a side that might yo yo between lge 1 and the Premiership. What is pretty certain is that if we get into the Premiership ticket prices will go up. I would guess the cheapest ticket on the kop would be £35 if not more

Suppose another question is do you want to pay £35 or more to watch over paid players fall over and roll around if somebody breathes on them a bit heavy. Premiership football is basically fooked. Again on the radio same discussion iirc about clubs in the Prem getting on average £32 million more than last season. You would like to thing it might go towards stabilising ticket prices maybe even lowering them. But you know that players agents will be looking to trouser it.

Edited by darra

Guest CageFightingOwl

I don't think a comic from Canada is representative of our support.

No ambition.

Football is just as much about hopes and dreams as it is about winning. Take that away you're left with nothing.

So we have seasons like this one..ad nauseum?..Don't see the point.

Football is about competition, you go to Hillsborough hoping to win, and you go wherever that takes you...hopefully to Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge again.

I understand how supprters feel about the way Man City Chelsea etc have virtually "bought" trophies..but sadly thats now the nature of the beast.

Manchester City's chances of winning the Premier league and getting to the Champions league were bleaker than ours a few years ago, you hope for such as that...rather than doggie paddling down here for years..