Is it just me who's still positive?

Guest JonTheOwl66

I'm reluctant to post this thread because I'm going to get slated, but screw it.. Somebody needs to be positive.

We lost last night's game due to two wonder goals. Sure, we didn't give out our best performance by all accounts, but we lost the game through two wonder goals.

Rotherham didn't tear us apart and absolutely demolish us, they simply scored two very, very good goals.

I really feel sorry for the players, especially those on Twitter. The flipping low-lives that spend their entire life just tweeting the players begging for a 'RT', then after a bad performance.. They just rant and rant and rant about the players, how they have a bad attitude and need to be shipped out.

Anybody that listened to Steve Evans last night on Radio Sheffield will realise that Dave Jones is regarded as a very good manager. A very good manager. So why do people think they know better and claim 'this player should be shipped out', or 'we need to spend more money'. If we did need to, we would.

The truth is we have a very capable squad that played badly last night. It doesn't mean we're going down, or we need an overhaul. It simply means we played badly last night. Some people might say its unacceptable, but it doesn't mean we can go absolutely over the top and abuse ordinary people.

I don't know, I do wonder whether people love this to happen at times. We will be signing a couple more players, we will strengthen and we'll be alright this season.

There's no need to panic and flap.

Only virtually one game into the season, I don't, never have and never will count any Cups.

Enough evidence from saturday to suggest we will do well this season.

whether it was the tin pot cup(as some like to call it) or not ,makes no difference it was a game to win,it was a game to compete in and give your all as a player ,did we as a team do this by a lot of accounts we weren't at the races ,people pay hard earned to watch the team and tbh it's like a kick in the teeth if the team can't be arsed to put the effort in and are out played by lower league team ,ok jon we as you state were beat by to good goals fair comment ,but as an ex player (as you tell us and I don't doubt it)Would you go out and look like you are not interested , or would you go out with fire in your Belly and throw yourself into the cause and give 100%, that is why most people are upset mate, Rotherham were committed to the cause but sadly we thought opposite so that's why people are miffed about yesterday and rightly so

Eyup JontheOwl66,

I agree about the positivity for the rest of the season and the idiots who constantly have a go at players publicly because things haven't gone well. 

However, I have not been able to get too excited about any cup game over the last god knows how many years, because of our club's total disregard for the fans who go to watch them. I just wish that once in a while our club would say something like, "We are going to give everything we have to win this cup match" and turn up to watch them do just that. I can't remember seeing the club's stock pre cup match comments last night, telling us how important the game is, or whatever. Which kind of led me to believe we would be poor in the cup again.We never looked as though we were going to score and without our wonder goal of a free kick we wouldn't have. The underdogs winning a cup tie is actually expected more than ever these days and has always been the allure for most, but the manner in which we lost was not too cheery, so the less experienced, less patient and/or less realistic fan, may well be a bit peeved about losing to a team who were in league 2 last year. 

Most Owls went last night to see the new stadium almost as much as to see our lads kick the ball about, but considering that we had 13 attempts at goal and got only 4 on target against even a half decent L1 team, it shows a certain lack of quality. 

Again I think we will do well and have indeed put money on it, but our biggest problem from last season remains to be the total lack of quality balls into the strikers, from midfield and from the wings.

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

I'm reluctant to post this thread because I'm going to get slated, but screw it.. Somebody needs to be positive.

We lost last night's game due to two wonder goals. Sure, we didn't give out our best performance by all accounts, but we lost the game through two wonder goals.

Rotherham didn't tear us apart and absolutely demolish us, they simply scored two very, very good goals.

I really feel sorry for the players, especially those on Twitter. The flipping low-lives that spend their entire life just tweeting the players begging for a 'RT', then after a bad performance.. They just rant and rant and rant about the players, how they have a bad attitude and need to be shipped out.

Anybody that listened to Steve Evans last night on Radio Sheffield will realise that Dave Jones is regarded as a very good manager. A very good manager. So why do people think they know better and claim 'this player should be shipped out', or 'we need to spend more money'. If we did need to, we would.

The truth is we have a very capable squad that played badly last night. It doesn't mean we're going down, or we need an overhaul. It simply means we played badly last night. Some people might say its unacceptable, but it doesn't mean we can go absolutely over the top and abuse ordinary people.

I don't know, I do wonder whether people love this to happen at times. We will be signing a couple more players, we will strengthen and we'll be alright this season.

Some sense. 

Great post Jon.

No point being a pessimist. I'm still optimistic for the season ahead.

I mean, we're 2 games in for crying out loud so there's no need to panic! We know what we're capable of once we get a good run together.

I'm still positive, in our League performance we looked good and like we'd be comfortable this season. Yes last night was poor, but we haven't finished signing players yet and have a few injuries. Perform on Saturday and we will beat a very average Burnley team.

Obviously the meltdown from some people is OTT.

But I think people WHO WENT are more hacked off with the performance not the result Jon.

Fair enough being positive but you can't come on saying things like "Rotherham were lucky", "they didn't outclass us", "they were just 2 wonder goals" etc when you didn't even go.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Obviously the meltdown from some people is OTT.

But I think people WHO WENT are more hacked off with the performance not the result Jon.

Fair enough being positive but you can't come on saying things like "Rotherham were lucky", "they didn't outclass us", "they were just 2 wonder goals" etc when you didn't even go.

Sure, I appreciate that. The people who went will have far more of an idea than me - that's to be expected.

It's true about the two goals for them though - on another day we may have won that game 1-0.

Just think it's daft getting so upset about being knocked out of the cup.

All teams have their off-days.. Ours was an off-day last night. Time will tell whether there's genuine cause for concern.

No I'm not. I'm saying that anybody who witnessed that performance will know what a disgraceful result is.

Two different things mate.

Like I said, just because we got battered by Stevenage 2 years ago doesn't mean that last night wasn't as dreadful for those that went.

But I'm keeping optimistic like thee.  We haven't even played at home yet this season n people are saying we should change players, managers & even chairmen !

No mate I was enthused by the performance against QPR and a loss in the League Cup isnt going to change my mind.I was reminded last night of when we played the pigs when Laws was in charge and they had Robson , Laws was bulling up the game something cruel and Robson played it down as just another game and we went at them from the first whistle as Rovrum did us .Win against Burnley and last night will be forgotten I can't believe tho that some are calling Saturday a must win game.