He's Ripped The Heart Out Of The Squad

Seem to have touched a nerve with a couple of you!

First of all I appreciate that I am only looking in from a distance (which I hate by the way, would love to be there every Saturday), however I do try to keep in touch via Owlstalk, the official site, The Star and the BBC. All I was picking up on was the fact that DJ said after promotion that he would make sure that the team spirit stayed intact as it was one of the most valuable commodities we had.

His actions fly in the face of that statement for example (as already highlighted by others) the appointment of Taylor as Captain. How can a player who has never played for the club before and knows nothing about players characters, strengths weaknesses and what motivates them be made Captain before even kicking a ball for us? What does that say to the rest of the team?

Yes I know we have injury issues, but even so last years players seem to be getting sidelined and resentment on their part would be pretty understandable hence my comments over a possible split in the dressing room. I did not say in my original post that DJ should be sacked, however he has clearly made some major errors in terms of the set up and selection of the team and he needs to properly re-assess the situation before it get's any more serious.

Does anyone honestly believe that for the last several games our genuine best starting 11 only consisted of 4 of last seasons team (the Bolton game actually had just 2, Jones and Antonio)? I am sorry but to me (and obviously this is just my opinion) but it smacks of DJ putting his stamp on the team almost as a direct riposte to GM's comments. I know players and managers have big ego's (i.e. Bothroyd and Taylor's reactions to the fans) but hoped that DJ would be man enough to swallow his pride but the signs at present don't exactly fill me with encouragement. Nothing a decent run can't put right though.

it seems that "across the miles" we see things similarly Utah. I have stated this previously and also DJ's "attack is the best form of defense" statement. I don't think you touched a nerve mate, some posters find it difficult to accept comments from non-attenders never mind fans based overseas. Quite honestly, my first reaction would be "what the f**k do they know, thousands of miles away?" Keep posting mate with your observations. Having fans with such passion to even take part in a forum like Owlstalk should show "others" that Sheffield Wednesday is close to many people's hearts. I also wish I could get every Saturday, I certainly put my time in home and away when I lived in England.

Guest Deleted member

I absolutely welcome comments from far flung places

The only reason I picked up on it in this context was - how can you tell the team is playing 'without heart' when you aren't actually watching? Its such a subjective thing to say

The team showed immense courage and yes - heart - to come back 3 times from a goal down to win a point on Tuesday night. Thats the bit I couldn't understand

The only reason I picked up on it in this context was - how can you tell the team is playing 'without heart' when you aren't actually watching? Its such a subjective thing to say

The team showed immense courage and yes - heart - to come back 3 times from a goal down to win a point on Tuesday night. Thats the bit I couldn't understand

Fair comment Nigel. Lack of heart I have taken from the general consensus on Owlstalk and the press reports over the last few weeks. Purely in terms of last night, encouraging that we fought back three times yes, but also disheartening that we went down three times in the first place! I would have been a lot happier with a 1-1 draw to be honest. All the 3-3 shows is that our defence is just as bad as it has been all season and for me now that we are 1/5 of the way into the season the alarm bells are ringing.

Question is are the goals coming from deficiencies in the defence, midfield or both? Until the leaky defence is sorted we are going to struggle and could easily end up going straight back down.

Guest pops55

Fair comment Nigel. Lack of heart I have taken from the general consensus on Owlstalk and the press reports over the last few weeks. Purely in terms of last night, encouraging that we fought back three times yes, but also disheartening that we went down three times in the first place! I would have been a lot happier with a 1-1 draw to be honest. All the 3-3 shows is that our defence is just as bad as it has been all season and for me now that we are 1/5 of the way into the season the alarm bells are ringing.

Question is are the goals coming from deficiencies in the defence, midfield or both? Until the leaky defence is sorted we are going to struggle and could easily end up going straight back down.

And this i my main concern if things aren't rectified soon and this is the last thing i expected when we won promotion last season.

I think it's always easy for fans of any club to accuse their players of lacking 'heart' and 'passion' when they are on a losing streak.

DJ commented on it post Burnley - said he didn't understand that accusation because EVERYONE who plays the game, at whatever level, goes out to do their best and tries to win.

I think he has a point

Guest pops55

DJs comments about COG on RS this morning beggar belief

Says running around a lot doesn't make you a good player in the Championship

No it doesn't Dave but HE SCORES GOALS FFS

I bet he drops him for the Hull game

I said the same thing on another thread last night, and why were at it why was he brought of the other night when he was on a hat trick, was he scared he would score one?

we have been lucky or should i say (unlucky) to have seen the Wolves and Bolton games + Oldham game online... i didnt like what i saw.

as others have said. would much rather be in S6... typical im back next weekend when there are no games.... doh!!!

He said what?? Weirdly, I think COG's excellent form when given a chance this season has 'annoyed' DJ because he clearly isn't interested in him and resents the fact that the crowd chanting for him have been proved correct so far. I wonder what he would have been saying about Bothroyd on RS if it had been him who scored that brace against Burnley?? It's almost like he will only praise the players he has personally signed. It's all really strange behaviour to me...

Edited by Almat

He said what?? Weirdly, I think COG's excellent form when given a chance this season has 'annoyed' DJ because he clearly isn't interested in him and resents the fact that the crowd chanting for him have been proved correct so far. I wonder what he would have been saying about Bothroyd on RS if it had been him who scored that brace against Burnley?? It's almost like he will only praise the players he has personally signed. It's all really strange behaviour to me...

This is exactly what is upsetting what seems to be the majority of the fans. DJ is not allowing the members of the previous team a proper chance in spite of his own signings and the calls are that DJ's ego is getting in the way -"Rule No. 1 - the boss is always right. Rule No. 2 - see Rule No.1" This could be his saving grace but then again it could backfire on him. I don't think the majority of Wednesday fans are "calling" to get rid of DJ. On the contrary but many believe the forum is probably more powerful than it actually is. I think it adds to the fun ....

Against Wolves was the only time I have seen them this season - work gets in the way (can't get it in Saudi). I don't know if i would have used "without heart" to describe them, well maybe one player would have fitted that....unfortunately Bothroyd. Barkley was also a bit lost against Wolves. I think i will apply for a reposting ..

Could this be what he means?

“I thought we needed more quality from wider areas, so Jay was coming in and picking a pass, whereas Chris is more of a runner and chaser and gives us something different up there. Jay picked him out a couple of times,” said the Owls boss.

“That’s where the quality comes. On Saturday, probably we had the run but not the pass. On Tuesday we got both.”

Could this be what he means?

“I thought we needed more quality from wider areas, so Jay was coming in and picking a pass, whereas Chris is more of a runner and chaser and gives us something different up there. Jay picked him out a couple of times,” said the Owls boss.

“That’s where the quality comes. On Saturday, probably we had the run but not the pass. On Tuesday we got both.”

COG scored 2 goals and DJ was happier talking about Bothroyd. That's what I was getting at. Bothroyd has been brought in (presumably) to score goals because DJ thought he could score more than any of the other strikers we have. It's not working out like that at the moment. But he still gets praised, seemingly over a Megson signing who scored 2 and got us out of the poo poo.

COG scored 2 goals and DJ was happier talking about Bothroyd. That's what I was getting at. Bothroyd has been brought in (presumably) to score goals because DJ thought he could score more than any of the other strikers we have. It's not working out like that at the moment. But he still gets praised, seemingly over a Megson signing who scored 2 and got us out of the poo poo.

To be honest, i think people are looking into these interviews far too much again in an attempt to find something that's not there.

Wouldn't it be easier for DJ to just not even pick COG at all then?

Some of you guys worry yourselves too much about what DJ says in interviews, when the facts are that COG has played in 10 out of 12 games this season. He's either starting him, or frequently turning to him to bring off the bench ahead of either Rodri or Madine. So, do you really think DJ doesn't rate COG?

As for Bothroyd, DJ's trying to get the guy match fit - how does he do it? 20 minutes at the end of games? He'll never get him match fit that way. No, he's starting him because he believes in the player that got himself an England cap not much more than a year ago. Is that really so ridiculous? But having not played all season, he started 3 games in 8 days, and got booed off the pitch at the end of the third game. Granted, up to that point his displays hadn't been great, but his last two have been better - especially the Burnley one. We've got a player who's much fitter now, and I'm sure we'll start to see his quality. He needed games, and now he's got them. He wouldn't have got these games if DJ didn't start him. The fact is we've got 5 strikers to accommodate - at least 60% of which won't be happy.

To be honest, i think people are looking into these interviews far too much again in an attempt to find something that's not there.

The will of some fans to have a go at Jones is truly remarkable; they don't even seem to try to mitigate for him. No faith whatsoever.