He's Ripped The Heart Out Of The Squad

Ridiculous comparison.

Anyone who thinks the bulk of our team last year would compete in this league is deluded. DJ quite rightly saw that and made changes, PERHAPS too many at once but he didn't foresee Lines, Buxton and Reda getting injured.

He's tried players from last season - Llera? Beevers? Semedo? Madine? None have shone that much so far given the chance. I read somewhere last night someone saying we should have kept Rob Jones!?!?

We need to build a team for this level. DJ knows that and he's doing it. It's gonna be hard, against some very good teams but hopefully last night (from the reports I've heard) we've moved slightly in the right direction.

Well said Essix.

Guest totemowl

Another poor OP written in hindsight, ignoring the realities of the situation.

Don't know why people feel the need to write these. Doesn't matter though whether they're fickle, attention seeking or what. It's a good reflection of how a lot of our fans are bouncing themselves off the walls right now and having a go at anyone who is in the firing line. While praising the merits of those who aren't.

The OP has obviously ignored the fact that the main concern at the beginning of the season - when we started with 8 of the L1 squad - was the defence letting in 2 goals a game, even against L1 opposition. He ignores the fact that 2 of our defenders got injured and had to be replaced. He ignores the fact that we needed someone to boss the defence and midfield.

He ignores the fact that our strikers weren't performing, with the exception of Rodri in his first game and the possible exception of COG, who disappointed in even measure. (It was a big step forward for COG last night, but that's another story).

He ignores the fact that Semedo and at first Antonio have both struggled in this league.

All in order to have a go at Jones, previously 18 matches unbeaten, who has dealt with the above not ignored them.

In hindsight, it's not a poor OP. It's simply disgraceful.

Edited by totemowl

Another poor OP written in hindsight, ignoring the realities of the situation.

Don't know why people feel the need to write these. Doesn't matter though whether they're fickle, attention seeking or what. It's a good reflection of how a lot of our fans are bouncing themselves off the walls right now and having a go at anyone who is in the firing line. While praising the merits of those who aren't.

The OP has obviously ignored the fact that the main concern at the beginning of the season - when we started with 8 of the L1 squad - was the defence letting in 2 goals a game, even against L1 opposition. He ignores the fact that 2 of our defenders got injured and had to be replaced. He ignores the fact that we needed someone to boss the defence and midfield.

He ignores the fact that our strikers weren't performing, with the exception of Rodri in his first game and the possible exception of COG, who disappointed in even measure. (It was a big step forward for COG last night, but that's another story).

He ignores the fact that Semedo and at first Antonio have both struggled in this league.

All in order to have a go at Jones, previously 18 matches unbeaten, who has dealt with the above not ignored them.

In hindsight, it's not a poor OP. It's simply disgraceful.

This is a forum and you're entitled to your opinion as is UTAH however as disgraceful as you think his OP is I think you are sounding like an apologist for DJ over what has been a catastrophic series of managerial mistakes

First rule after a promotion build on it not completely destroy it

He has singled handed ripped the motivation and confidence from last year's squad introduced a new captain into the defence with the season started dropped our most influential player llera ( after a couple of shakey displays agreed) but yet plays his own players continually despite abysmal displays they are first on the sheet. COG gets dropped after being the only striker looking like one.

I'm very disappointed with DJ I don't want the guy sacked yet but for Sheridans sake I wish MM would have a word

Going back to cardiff and his six year tenure,

Whenever he bought someone new and they turned out to be garbage he wouldnt drop them for a while.

Chopra had and still has major gambling debts and problems, dj stuck by him, even when he would go 1 goal in 15 games.

Chops went on to admit he was playing through big injuries just so he could get his appearance fee every week. DJ knew this and wouldnt drop him.

This was annoying our fans, seeing dire performances weeki in week out, and then fans would see chops in the bookies every day after training.

DJ did find some fantastic players, whittingham, for example, but he didnt half bring some garbage here too.

You might well be losing the dressing room, the promoted players must be well cheesed off with not having a stab.

Similar to our dressing room when DJ brought in about 13 players on loan in his last season all on big wages.

DJ's last season was bellamys first stint with us, rumours were, and i must emphasise rumours , were that bellamy started taking over and running the dressing room when results started going against us.

Did Jones release you from Cardiff's development squad?

You seem to dislike him intensely.

lol no. im fed up of looking like i hate him. its not the case, just trying to give you 6 yrs of the frustrations we had

How about giving us some examples where he did well at your club, during a very rocky period in the back room.

Have you read his book, by the way? you might find some answers in there.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Like who?

At the end of the day Megson assembled a team of league 1 players to get out of league 1. DJ is now having to do the necessary surgery to make us competitive in the Championship. Which is why he has brought in experienced championship players like Taylor, Gardner and Bothroyd as well as promising top flight players like Barkley.

You don't cut someones leg off to cure toothache.

How about giving us some examples where he did well at your club, during a very rocky period in the back room.

Have you read his book, by the way? you might find some answers in there.

ok.

Yr1 finished 11th

Yr2 were 12 points top of the league in december finished 12th ish

yr3 finished 7/8 ish and got to the fa cup final, which jones left aaron ramsey and robbie fowler out of the starting 11, much to the annoyance of the fans.

Yr5 finished 4 th, lost to blackpool in po final. jay bothroyd came off after 10 mins and refused treatment off our physio.

Yr4 finshed 7th after needing one win from our last 6 games to guarantee a play off spot, preston took our spot by 1 goal difference after beating us 6-0. Had we lost 6-1 we would have been ok

Yr6 had a load of loanees in and rested bellamy in our second leg v reading hoping to keep him for the final that never occured.

Incidently we were 2nd for much of the season, 3 games from the end the players were in the vip suite in lava lounge 2 days before we lost 3-0 at home to boro.

ok.

Yr1 finished 11th

Yr2 were 12 points top of the league in december finished 12th ish

yr3 finished 7/8 ish and got to the fa cup final, which jones left aaron ramsey and robbie fowler out of the starting 11, much to the annoyance of the fans.

Yr5 finished 4 th, lost to blackpool in po final. jay bothroyd came off after 10 mins and refused treatment off our physio.

Yr4 finshed 7th after needing one win from our last 6 games to guarantee a play off spot, preston took our spot by 1 goal difference after beating us 6-0. Had we lost 6-1 we would have been ok

Yr6 had a load of loanees in and rested bellamy in our second leg v reading hoping to keep him for the final that never occured.

Incidently we were 2nd for much of the season, 3 games from the end the players were in the vip suite in lava lounge 2 days before we lost 3-0 at home to boro.

lol

Good effort....

I,ve said it all season, the backbone of the team should be made up of last seasons players. With when fit, Buxton, Llera,(should have signed Batth), Reda, JJ, Antonio,Semedo and O,Grady the first names down on the team sheet and fill in around this team unless injured. I know I haven,t got the badges, but I can see DJ eventually having to come round to this thinking. If not then it will be bye bye.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

Guest TonyOwl88

We've not been good enough, so you can understand DJ wanting to make changes, but some decisions are just beyond me.

Dropping Semedo against Bolton

COG being shuffled down the pecking order despite being our top goalscorer by about 3 goals from a couple of defenders in 2nd and 3rd.

Mattock at RB despite Lee actally being a right back and not being anywhere near the first-team. Also playing JJ at right back.... its just stupid when we know he's no good at defending... he's a winger.

Pecnik up front at times instead of one of our many strikers. We've still not seen Maguire get a real chance.

Guest Deleted member

Interesting debate

Considering that the major contributors appear to be based in Utah, Thailand, Bahrain, Lanzarote, New South Wales, South Wales, and a Cardiff fan, and someone who thought the fans should be demanding Mandaric's head when Megson was let go - I think I will go with the views of people actually watching the football.

Like Essix Blue.

There is no way that heart and motivation alone are enough for this division. Dave Jones has tons of experience in this division.

I'll trust him to do whats right.

*carries on happy clapping*

Edited by Deleted member

Interesting debate

Considering that the major contributors appear to be based in Utah, Thailand, Bahrain, Lanzarote, New South Wales, South Wales, and a Cardiff fan, and someone who thought the fans should be demanding Mandaric's head when Megson was let go - I think I will go with the views of people actually watching the football.

Like Essix Blue.

There is no way that heart and motivation alone are enough for this division. Dave Jones has tons of experience in this division.

I'll trust him to do whats right.

*carries on happy clapping*

been to many a match and had to watch the highlights to see what actually happened later many times you get carried away when your there - so nothing wrong with people having an overseas opinion how you know they aren't watching on tv mate - btw is that really you Nigel? or another Neil login?

Yes he has tons of experience and it sounds like he's repeating mistakes if Nugent is to be believed - I think the trick is to nurture the momentum and confidence and add a bit of quality (Before the season started)not rip the thing to bits and add a captain midstream - he's disappointed me so far but like you I hope he'll get it right what you are saying isn't happy clapping mate but it sounds a bit like denial of mistakes

Guest Deleted member

I'm not denying he's made mistakes at all. (Yes it is me!)

I'm sure if you asked DJ he wouldn't deny it either

But I'm happy to give him time to develop the squad in his own way and see where it goes. He's definitely earned that right. He knows what makes a squad to do well and challenge in this division. Much better than you, me or anyone else on owlstalk

"I'm sure if you asked DJ he wouldn't deny it either" I,m not sure he,s the type of manager who would. He seems to be the type who says I,m right and I,m going to carry on doing what I want however much the opposite is staring me in the face. (Oh and by the way I,m an ST holder who goes to the away games).

I'm not denying he's made mistakes at all. (Yes it is me!)

I'm sure if you asked DJ he wouldn't deny it either

But I'm happy to give him time to develop the squad in his own way and see where it goes. He's definitely earned that right. He knows what makes a squad to do well and challenge in this division. Much better than you, me or anyone else on owlstalk

I'd be interested in hearing what he thought the mistakes he's made are because he doesnt seem to be admitting them at this moment in time (copyright Wilson)

tbf we have no choice but give him time because no amount of sh*te I, you and anyone writes on here makes any difference does it ? The person he needs to worry about is the guy who writes the points into the league cos that's who MM listens to not us

To people saying Norwich and Southampton didn't change much, they both made 10+ signings after being promoted from L1.

Building takes time and like any major restoration, it always looks worse before it gets better