He's Ripped The Heart Out Of The Squad

Guest Deleted member

I thought we were

On the back of 6 defeats in a row - to come back 3 times from a goal to get a draw is certainly an achievement

Jones says in the Star/Telegraph that we were "Magnificent" last night?

Really? Can anyone who went confirm?

Scored 3 good goals but his description of Magnificent seems a tad OTT

bordering delusional

I just don't understand what you want him to say. I mean, come on...the interview is as much about motiviating the team as it is giving his views on the game.

If he'd been a miserable bugger, you'd have been moaning that he should be praising the team for the great fight back...

Guest pops55

I'm not denying he's made mistakes at all. (Yes it is me!)

I'm sure if you asked DJ he wouldn't deny it either

But I'm happy to give him time to develop the squad in his own way and see where it goes. He's definitely earned that right. He knows what makes a squad to do well and challenge in this division. Much better than you, me or anyone else on owlstalk

Even if that means we get dragged into a relegation battle all season?

By the the way i want to see him get this right but we are supposed to learn by our mistakes not keep repeating them and this is what is frustrating the fans.

I also can't see why he's not brouht in an emergency loan at right full back since Lee's injury as the first two goals we gave away last night were at the right back possition, and yes i went last night.

Guest pops55

I thought we were

On the back of 6 defeats in a row - to come back 3 times from a goal to get a draw is certainly an achievement

Your right we kept going right to the end and really should have won the game, however,the goals against were woeful and we won't how many times will we score three away from home?

I just don't understand what you want him to say. I mean, come on...the interview is as much about motiviating the team as it is giving his views on the game.

If he'd been a miserable bugger, you'd have been moaning that he should be praising the team for the great fight back...

Don't be stupid, i wouldn't have moaned at all.I want him to be realistic.Something like, we did well, worked hard to fight back 3 timesbut there is lots to work to do.Magnificent? My fear is he actually thinks that

Hi Leon, you forgot to add the obligatory "Put's tin hat on" But you are right of course.

DJ is in a difficult place right now, only he knows how many of the nw faces are his. However, one thing is for sure his answer to our deffensive problems have yet to be resolved. He has been let down a little by some and badly let down in one particular instance.

Llera's only sin is that he is one of Megsons men, true he makes the odd blunder but this he more than makes up for in his general contribution and his blunders, few that they are, are far less profligate than his inept replacement.

Going on tonight he has gone back to trying to outscore the oposition, at least we know the flare play is still in the locker. But surely he can't go on in the hope that our deffence is going to get a lucky clean sheet in order to justify his 'Taylor first on the team sheet' policy.

Come what may, I think we've done enough tonight to suggest that we're heading for three points on Saturday. I just hope it's with Llera partnering Gardener for I can't for the life of me put my finger on what Miguel is supposed to have done wrong.

If you watch any Championship game you'll see most CBs making mistakes and very few having perfect games ( and even in the Premiership). From what I've seen of Llera this season his defending has been ok but can someone who's seen him away confirm he's been so abysmal that he can't possibly start for us ever again even considering everything positive he brings to the table?

Amazing how we have so many football coniseurs on here who know for a fact last years team were'nt good enough ,when the facts are that they have never been tried,so the only thing to go on is that DJ said ,,whether they were'nt or possibly could be is a guess and has to be proved before dismissed,Purely and simply

DJ does not want a megson team tag around his neck , which can be a good thing in theory, but a difficult thing to do in practice players will be upset about his decisions to drop them with no reason ,tbh any player would ,players like cog who wasn't a feature last season have stepped upto the plate and this season has laid down the gauntlet so to speak, he's another one that by many utterances on here wasn't good enough for this league ,So the old question of try before you buy, jumps out at me tbh , then and only then you will have a correct answer to whether or not last years side would do the buisness or not ,

I can understand people's frustration and concern (I am frustrated and concerned also) but we should stick with Jones - he has a proven track record and is not 'the cheap option' that we have chosen on so many occasions. I bet the vast majority of managers have been through spells such as the one we're going through at the moment but have become better managers because of it, which, in turn, has brought success to their respective clubs - David Moyes is an example.

We have had too many managers over the past 10 - 15 years. We need to stick with one through thick and thin.

Amazing how we have so many football coniseurs on here who know for a fact last years team were'nt good enough ,when the facts are that they have never been tried,so the only thing to go on is that DJ said ,,whether they were'nt or possibly could be is a guess and has to be proved before dismissed,Purely and simply

DJ does not want a megson team tag around his neck , which can be a good thing in theory, but a difficult thing to do in practice players will be upset about his decisions to drop them with no reason ,tbh any player would ,players like cog who wasn't a feature last season have stepped upto the plate and this season has laid down the gauntlet so to speak, he's another one that by many utterances on here wasn't good enough for this league ,So the old question of try before you buy, jumps out at me tbh , then and only then you will have a correct answer to whether or not last years side would do the buisness or not ,

You are right and i'm no expert but Rob Jones is better than Taylor from what i've seen.He may turn it round who knows and what damage will have been done by then.I think having a proper right back will help.

Guest Deleted member

DJ does not want a megson team tag around his neck

WOW - this is now a fact is it? I'm gobsmacked

Quick question - how many people think Megson wouldn't have made wholesale changes to the team that got us promoted?

Guest pops55

Good post mate.

WOW - this is now a fact is it? I'm gobsmacked

Quick question - how many people think Megson wouldn't have made wholesale changes to the team that got us promoted?

tbf that's a good point I'm sure GM said as much on that late night regional football show (forgot name)

BUT whether he would have thrown away the so hard gained momentum so quickly we'll never know because

a) I think we would prob have only gone up via the playoffs

b) I doubt he'd have been supported as much as DJ has

Guest Deleted member

Even if that means we get dragged into a relegation battle all season?

Jones record as a Championship manager would suggest he knows the division well enough and the calibre of players required to avoid that

Going back to cardiff and his six year tenure,

Whenever he bought someone new and they turned out to be garbage he wouldnt drop them for a while.

Chopra had and still has major gambling debts and problems, dj stuck by him, even when he would go 1 goal in 15 games.

Chops went on to admit he was playing through big injuries just so he could get his appearance fee every week. DJ knew this and wouldnt drop him.

This was annoying our fans, seeing dire performances weeki in week out, and then fans would see chops in the bookies every day after training.

DJ did find some fantastic players, whittingham, for example, but he didnt half bring some garbage here too.

You might well be losing the dressing room, the promoted players must be well cheesed off with not having a stab.

Similar to our dressing room when DJ brought in about 13 players on loan in his last season all on big wages.

DJ's last season was bellamys first stint with us, rumours were, and i must emphasise rumours , were that bellamy started taking over and running the dressing room when results started going against us.

Pretty scandalous if true. An interesting thing i picked up by reading about DJs managerial record yesterday is the sort of thing that's happened to him over the last 26 games is actually not new. He seems to get his teams on a fantastic run of games then immediately they go on really bad runs. Seems no middle ground with him. Quite bizarre.

maybe or maybe not Nigel who knows . but the truth is don't dismiss a players worth before you know if a player can make the step up ,if they are found wanting then you make the changes ,may be DJ was right in this maybe not ,but to dismiss and bring players in that are currently playing worse , screams out to me that players who were confident and on the crest of a wave should have got their chance to prove otherwise ,then adjust accordingly ,costly mistakes have and are still being made, and need stamping out ,we all should admit that at least if nothing else ,

Guest Deleted member

Pretty scandalous if true. An interesting thing i picked up by reading about DJs managerial record yesterday is the sort of thing that's happened to him over the last 26 games is actually not new. He seems to get his teams on a fantastic run of games then immediately they go on really bad runs. Seems no middle ground with him. Quite bizarre.

Chopra had 4 separate spells at Cardiff

06/07 - 22 goals in 42 games

Nov 08 - Jan 09 - 5 goals in 10 games on loan

Feb 09 - Jun 09 - 4 goals in 13 games on loan

09/11 - 34 goals in 75 games

Guest Deleted member

maybe or maybe not Nigel who knows

Then don't quote it as a fact.

I'm as frustrated by our recent run as anyone - but recognise exactly what Jones is trying to bring to the team in terms of quality - and the fact that it hasn't brought instant results is not actually all that surprising.

But given the opportunity to play through the problems and come out the other side (as they showed last night is possible soon) without us all demanding change is a right that Jones has earned - not just as a result of last season - but as a result of the record that Jones has in this division with other clubs.

You guys are hilarious!!

JJ was at fault for the 2nd goal, you can say he is not a right back and blah blah blah but he totally misjudged the flight of the ball when to be fair even Verne troyer could have got his head to the cross with a bit of composure, BUT lets blame TAYLOR.

The 1st goal JJ got beat in the air fair and square, both crosses for both goals came down mattocks side......BUT lets blame TAYLOR.

As for the 3rd goal, Not the best defending in the world but you've got to admire Austins touch and finish, it wasn't exactly handed to him on a plate. Look where the pass came from to Austin, we had the ball, we were attacking, While I agree barkley had a stormer last night it was a fancy flick he tried when he didn't need to that put us under pressure. Great ball to Austin , Fantastic first touch and well the finish was top drawer.

The Lads played well last night, Showed heart, composure and we looked a threat everytime we went forward. A couple of shandy bass drinking pubescent spotty geeks behind me were on Bothroyds back from the warm up until they left the field at the end. I remember he knocked a brilliant 60 yard ball to antonio from Just inside our own half, antonio crossed the ball and ogrady just failed to get onto the end of it, the shandy bass boys were effing and jeffing about how useless and lazy Bothroyd was for not been in the box. :tango: :tango:

I was actually felt embarrassed last night when the chants for Llera were going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JioVmcU1CLg&feature=related

Llera takes a decent corner/free kick but is also a total liability when it comes to defending, his positional sense is suspect at best and he often gets caught ball watching. Short memories and very fickle.

I too paid £27 last night, got pi*sed wet through, even during the game as rain leaked through the roof, Jones has put together a team on a shoestring budget compared most in this league and there are signs of us actually been a good side, other fans are laughing a lung up at us owls fans.........most of you proclaim the "MASSIVE" tag we give ourselves is just used to wind up others......... :duntmatter:

Edited by mcduk