Pečnik...

Watched the game this evening via t'internet, as not lucky enough to be out in Portugal.

The streaming wasn't totally freeze or blocking free at times but from what I saw of our new Slovenian Rambo (Pečnik) he seems a tidy player.

I'm not going to go as far as to already rave about him as no doubt some other fellow Owls may but what I will say is that he signed so super fast, when he was allegedly just supposed to be on a trial first... Of which I am sure he didn't actually trial more than one day or so lol.

The rush by DJ / MM to bring him in with a contract so suddenly, was that they saw enough technical ability, skill, physique and no doubt more, that warranted this contract.

Moreover I do believe they brought him in as primarily a winger but maybe saw through the centre being more his position / role within the 2012-13 Owls squad and whilst we played him out wide for a good while tonight, before allowing him to become more central.

I'd like to think the above is somewhere along the lines of how DJ is seeing Pečnik and if so we'll see him grow in to his central role starting with the Reading match, enabling us to look out for another winger now Pečnik won't play there week in week out.

Who agrees that DJ and MM knew they'd found a relatively untapped talent from foreign shores but weren't too sure where his best position would be and are currently edging their bets, (with the players agreement) to finding his best position during pre season, ready to take his berth in his new teams squad for the coming season.

Just one league below, what a big % of foreign players still count as the best league in the world.

Does anybody think along the same lines here?

Here's to unearthing another BM, MA and maybe a few more out of our 2012-13 squad once they've had a couple of matches together with their new team mates and settled in.

P.S. PLEASE for christ sake, anybody who moans about actual individuals performances in these VERY early pre season matches, don't shoot down ANY of the new boys and the old boys for that matter... At the very least, until the two sections have had a few games under their belts, to bed in and start working well for each other, their manager, the fans etc.

From what little I've seen of Picnic, he does seem more suited to a central role.

However, we're more in need of wide players and we've made the mistake of playing players out of position, many times before ... Miller, Lines ... Tudgay, JOC lol

Guest OxtonOwl

He's better as a striker.

Why people can't see this is beyond me. See his video again. I am right on this, trust me.

I agree looked solid finisher etc on the video think he has a lot to offer although do think he can cut it at cf just behind the two st's, looked a very good technical player in the video also

Guest OxtonOwl

We should have tried Reda as striker tonight, he would have murdered them.

Him and semedo almost did it from defence, can't think would have happened if they'd gone upfront together...

I agree looked solid finisher etc on the video think he has a lot to offer although do think he can cut it at cf just behind the two st's, looked a very good technical player in the video also

In about 90% of the video he was playing for Celije in the Slovenian league and the defending was really poor. Saying that though, Robert Koren played for Celije in the past so let's hope Pecnik turns out to be as good as him. Koren even scored 22 goals in 78 appearances playing for Celije which he couldn't replicate in the Championship so maybe that tell you a little about the quality of the Slovenian league?

Guest OxtonOwl

In about 90% of the video he was playing for Celije in the Slovenian league and the defending was really poor. Saying that though, Robert Koren played for Celije in the past so let's hope Pecnik turns out to be as good as him. Koren even scored 22 goals in 78 appearances playing for Celije which he couldn't replicate in the Championship so maybe that tell you a little about the quality of the Slovenian league?

Yes fair points I mean I wasn't saying he was the best player we've ever signed I just thought he looked better as a striker I mean tonight even against a europa/ champions league team he was producing glimpses of quality and skill, bearing in mind he doesn't know any of the team properly and it was his first game for the club, I think he looks a decent signing that's all, good attributes that we needed aswell

From what little I've seen of Picnic, he does seem more suited to a central role.

However, we're more in need of wide players and we've made the mistake of playing players out of position, many times before ... Miller, Lines ... Tudgay, JOC lol

Yes we made the mistake of playing JOC at all.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Looked more effective in the middle where his little flicks and first time passes had more chance of finding someone.

I agree totally.

I was there last night and in the first hall he looked uninterested on the wing, despite some good early touches. Second half much better when he went into the middle, and I thought he linked up well with Lines and looked a threat.

On a side note JJ was tosh.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Picnic looked like a player who could play wide because he is a good player but I think a central role would be better for him, maybe behind the strikers.

I think he has obviously demonstrated in a short time that he is both a bargain and an improvement to the squad. Well done on snapping him up.