Jason Koumas Offered Pay-As-You-Play Deal

lets leave it to DJ shall we ,we know zilch ,

i will say one thing in Koumas's defence , if you have the neccessary skill and trickery as a footballer you don't lose that , it's all about whats in your head if the mentality is there the skills definately will be 33 or not

Thats my point Auntie, we need the flexibility a player like Koumas would give us. We know that Jones prefers the 442 system but we won't find success against some sides playing this way. A Koumas type would give us different options

Agree. Jones never really had to change it last season as we were winning every week, but over the course of Championship season, especially in tough away games I'm sure we'll have to adjust to a 5 man midfield for certain matches but we don't currently have all the personel.

Guest James Junny

Koumas is quality. People are questioning his age like he's 42 and not played for ten years, at his age he is experianced but certainly not past it, fitness is the issue here and I'm sure a few weeks already and a full pre season will get him up to speed, so Jason koumas would be an great pick up however last season dj said the boy had plans for next season somewhere which didn't sound like playing for us, maybe he's now interested coz were in the championship

Rather us go for someone like Simon Davies.... he's leaving Fulham in search of first team football.

Drifts around the pitch well, quality on the ball, scores goals, a player to build around.

The man to partner Semedo is key next season and an half arsed p/p deal for Koumas just doesnt inspire for me.

He has been training with us for a couple of months - so DJ will have a good idea of his fitness and mentality. I am getting a bit tired of hearing his name though!

Dave jones said on the radio he was invited to train but never turned up

Guest wilyfox

Koumas is quality. People are questioning his age like he's 42 and not played for ten years, at his age he is experianced but certainly not past it, fitness is the issue here and I'm sure a few weeks already and a full pre season will get him up to speed, so Jason koumas would be an great pick up however last season dj said the boy had plans for next season somewhere which didn't sound like playing for us, maybe he's now interested coz were in the championship

it's not so much his age, rather his decline. we'd be hoping for the Koumas of old; i'm not sure that's who we'd be getting.

....He obviously has the qualities DJ is after .... I hope he's being assessed away from our other plans tho ... if he says hes up for it then bails out just before the season starts we may lose out on another target.... there's no doubt he's a good player tho' and DJ knows him well so lets give it a go!!!....

I think some people are forgetting we need to build a Championship squad and not just a team.

I don't subscribe to the idea that offering Koumas a pay-as-you-play deal will impact on our other signings. For me, all circumstances considered, signing Koumas on such a deal suggests this might be a signing to perhaps fill the gaps left by the likes of Sedgewick - who has already gone - and Giles Coke who Jones is likely to want to move on.

We've released six players and people regularly draw up lists around here of a further 6 or 7 fringe names they want to see released or transfered. We still need to maintain options while we're moving players on, and we need to be smart in adding to the team without gutting it as well. I don't think Koumas will be brought in as the definitive, first choice partner for Semedo. He'll be brought in to provide options, to push Lines and maybe help bring his game on, and give us more attacking potential from midfield, and he'll be doing so on a pay-as-you-play deal which offers no risk to us if he doesn't turn out to be valuable first team player.

Right now our central midfield consists of Semedo, Lines and Prutton. A midfield of Semedo, Lines, Prutton, Koumas and the younger creative influence that people here want us to sign looks like a much more diverse, competetive central midfield to me.

I think some people are forgetting we need to build a Championship squad and not just a team.

I don't subscribe to the idea that offering Koumas a pay-as-you-play deal will impact on our other signings. For me, all circumstances considered, signing Koumas on such a deal suggests this might be a signing to perhaps fill the gaps left by the likes of Sedgewick - who has already gone - and Giles Coke who Jones is likely to want to move on.

We've released six players and people regularly draw up lists around here of a further 6 or 7 fringe names they want to see released or transfered. We still need to maintain options while we're moving players on, and we need to be smart in adding to the team without gutting it as well. I don't think Koumas will be brought in as the definitive, first choice partner for Semedo. He'll be brought in to provide options, to push Lines and maybe help bring his game on, and give us more attacking potential from midfield, and he'll be doing so on a pay-as-you-play deal which offers no risk to us if he doesn't turn out to be valuable first team player.

Right now our central midfield consists of Semedo, Lines and Prutton. A midfield of Semedo, Lines, Prutton, Koumas and the younger creative influence that people here want us to sign looks like a much more diverse, competetive central midfield to me.

Dont disagree with that, i also expect DJ to be on the hunt for some other central midfielders as well.

Im just not keen on the thought of signing another ageing player with questionable desire, when we have already shown that we can sign quality younger players, who will come in and do a good job. and potentially have a decent sell on value too.

I think Championship experience is a valuable asset. We already have a fairly young side in most areas. Semedo and Lines are only in their 20's still and I wouldn't expect Prutton to feature much in first team affairs next season.

I also think people need to show caution with the whole "Koumas has no desire" thing. It was similar with Neil Mellor last summer. People say and speculate on things without knowing the full story, and in the case of Mellor people were later proven wrong. Nobody on here knows for a fact that Jason Koumas has no hunger for the game anymore.

The only people who can ascertain that information are Dave Jones and his coaching staff, and personally I trust them implicitly. If Dave Jones thinks Jason Koumas still has enough in the tank to be worth a contract then for me any question over his desire or hunger becomes irrelevant.

For what it's worth I say all this speculatively. I don't know if we are signing Koumas and don't know if I expect us to. I don't trust The Sun but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true.

Championship experience is going to be very useful, but we need a player who is likely to be on the field for the majority of games, or even on the training ground. Koumas hasnt done anything for a year (did he even train with anyone?).

I just feel under Mandaric, we should be attracting a different type of person into this club now, not taking gambles on questionable players.

Guest Dadders

This is the kind of deal you'd have to trust DJ with. He knows the lad well and must have an idea of his fitness. I'm sure DJ knows whether Koumas still has what it takes.

^^^^^ Spot on^^^^^

In what way has DJ caused us not to trust him? He hasn't - so we respect his decisions and experiance. No manager has a 100% success rate in the transfer market, everyone will make mistakes, but this looks a sound tactical and financial "gamble" that if it goes wrong will not be too serious

If it works then we would have made the transfer coup of the summer

Championship experience is going to be very useful, but we need a player who is likely to be on the field for the majority of games, or even on the training ground. Koumas hasnt done anything for a year (did he even train with anyone?).

I just feel under Mandaric, we should be attracting a different type of person into this club now, not taking gambles on questionable players.

Sure, but like I say, for me this comes down to trust. I trust Dave Jones and his team to fully assess Koumas, and if there are any issues about "gambles" or "questionable" attributes then I doubt we will be signing him. If we do, those "gambles" largely dissapear, as far as I'm concerned.

We don't just hand out contracts for the sake of it. I don't know if we will sign Koumas but if we do you can get guarantee it's a signing which will have been afforded the same planning, care and attention with SWFC's future and this season in mind as much as any other signing this summer.

Interesting developments, didnt expect we'd be going back in for Koumas again!

The funny thing is though, both GM and DJ know him well, so I guess we shouldnt be that suprised.

If he's fit and still able to contribute, I could see him being used in the Lines role or wide left. His most effective times though have to be when he was in GM's WBA team, everything went through him, though he was at the centre of a diamond there.

Interesting developments, didnt expect we'd be going back in for Koumas again!

The funny thing is though, both GM and DJ know him well, so I guess we shouldnt be that suprised.

If he's fit and still able to contribute, I could see him being used in the Lines role or wide left. His most effective times though have to be when he was in GM's WBA team, everything went through him, though he was at the centre of a diamond there.

I imagine we'd only sign him if other targets slip the net.

Like I said though, pay as you play would be low risk, so maybe worth a try

if true think could be a very good bit of business; if he gets fit and is still as good as he used to be, he'll play and he'll get paid, if he turns out to be a useless, lazy past it crock then jones won't play him and we wont have to pay him. dont really see the risk for us, either we've got a good experienced playmaker or we've got someone who won't be playing in which case we wont have to waste any money on him. the fact he's willing to sign a pay as you play deal would suggest to me he is still hungy and wants to prove himself