Jason Koumas Offered Pay-As-You-Play Deal

People say its no risk... but if we signed Koumas on P/P deal its unlikely we'd sign another quality midfielder with him.

I'd rather focus elsewhere tbh.

Would such a deal really be structured so that if he wasn't playing he literally wasn't paid? Surely not? It could still cost some serious coin for a player who might turn out to be a waste of space, and like you said it might be better spent on a longer term solution.

Edited by DJMortimer

it would imply he's not the most dependable of signings. i can understand p-a-y-p deals for injury-prone players of quality, because you balance the risk versus benefit with cost in mind. there's nothing to suggest Koumas is injury-prone, but question marks over his motivation. i dunno; DJ calls himself a builder - you don't build on uncertainty...

Maybe he'd be looking at a role where he plays a bit and helps with the development squad too? Everyone's happy.

Would such a deal really be structured so that if he wasn't playing he literally wasn't paid? Surely not? It could still cost some serious coin for a player who might turn out to be a waste of space.

You often see the 'bonus' elements of the contract increased to compensate the pay gaps.

Appearence, goal, win, play a specfic amount of games, etc etc

I reckon just another case of lazy journalism. Widely reported that koumiss was "training" with us last year - is that even true?? - so they've just put two and two together but probably got three...

I don't trust a word that comes out of that horrible little rag

Edit...If It is true, then I trust DJ to make the right decisions. He wouldn't offer this kind of deal if he didn't think koumas could be a valuable edition to the squad. Say we were paying him a basic wage of 2k per week, with a bonus of another 3 if he starts a game, could be a really shrewd move.

I echo the sentiments of those above who question why he hasn't played football for over a year mind....

Going to be a long, at times frustrating, but hopefully an extremely productive summer all in all.

Sit tight fellow owls...

UTO FTB

Edited by s110wl

Guest wilyfox

I reckon just another case of lazy journalism. Widely reported that koumiss was "training" with us last year - is that even true?? - so they've just put two and two together but probably got three...

I don't trust a word that comes out of that horrible little rag

quite possibly. the Koumas to Wednesday link has been running for a year now; will always help newspapers fill little voids on their pages...

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

No brainer.

Win-win situation.

If he's in the team, constantly, than that means he'll be playing well, so will be worth the money.

If he is'nt playing in the team then he gets no brass.

The onus is on Koumas to use his undoubted talent and recapture his form at this level. If not, he get no reward.

Nothing more to be said on the subject, really.

Not for me thanks.

Has missed an entire year of football - and why? Too greedy? Too lazy? Lost appetite? Who knows.

Better options out there for us, surely!

These are the big questions aren't they?

But Paul Scholes proved last season that a spell away from the game doesn't necessarily turn you into a lazy Sunday League gutbucket.

Would such a deal really be structured so that if he wasn't playing he literally wasn't paid? Surely not? It could still cost some serious coin for a player who might turn out to be a waste of space, and like you said it might be better spent on a longer term solution.

Your right DJ.

It would be a small contract (in comparison) with the bonus incentive.

These are the big questions aren't they?

But Paul Scholes proved last season that a spell away from the game doesn't necessarily turn you into a lazy Sunday League gutbucket.

Difference being Scholes retired and only for 4-5months.

Koumas just can't be arsed (it would seem) and has been out the game for well over a year.

I think we need a mixture of older and younger players. Kevin Phillips at Blackpool is now 103 and ended up being their top goal scorer and most of them were coming on as a sub

Phillips has a lot of personal drive to ensure he plays into his 40's.

Koumas hasn't signed for anyone because he chose not to play.

Guest wilyfox

If it was a simple as that someone would have signed him over the last 18 months.

Personally, I can't see DJ having Treacy AND Koumas in our midfield.

Stick with Treacy, leave Koumas to someone else.

i agree, Treacy is the better prospect; he's on the way up, Koumas is on his way down. 23 versus 33.

How good of Jason. Would rather sit on his arse for a year than lower himself to playing for us in League 1, but now we're in the Championship and moving forward, he's willing to grace us with his presence.

Not for me thanks.