Megson - "people expect us to skate through the division...."

The main factor that puts a slant on things is that United have the chance to go so far ahead. Thats what the majority of the hysteria is about, even if we dont want to admit it.

If United had done a PNE or Scunny we may be more objective. But the fact that United and Charlton are skating the division makes us want to do the same.

Megson- 'A few players think they are better than what they are, and they've got to start shaping themselves!'- in Yorkshire Post, 3 days ago.

Nothing wrong with this attitude from the players as long as the players are playing well and with confidence. It's really good to have self-belief beyond your talents, especially as a professional athlete. If Megson thinks this about some of his players then great, but use this self-belief and nurture it, not shoot it down in flames!

Megson is shaping the players himself by sugesting that they are not as good, as they themselves, would like to be!

*LMH Waits for the happy clappers and Megson brigade to shoot HIM down in flames*

You are obsessing about this now. Please find something else to talk about. You're like a dog with a flipping bone.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

You are obsessing about this now. Please find something else to talk about. You're like a dog with a flipping bone.

The irony. Grrrrrrr!

Chill out shandypants!

We all feel passionate about the club and all have our own views. I just happen to feel strongly about this paticualar one.

However, Iam the first one to give Megson credit when I feel it is it deserved- like I have done with his management to-date.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Guest brimowl

Give jones a chance with buxton put jj on left then lets c how good he is if he cant play with lewis we might as well get shut.Im 15 st and id like him as back up

The irony. Grrrrrrr!

Chill out shandypants!

We all feel passionate about the club and all have our own views. I just happen to feel strongly about this paticualar one.

However, Iam the first one to give Megson credit when I feel it is it deserved- like I have done with his management to-date.

But you're doing yourself a disservice by focussing on this one subject. Its the only thing we are hearing from you at the moment. A debate has got to stop at some point - surely you know that. You are labouring the point. I think that you have made some good points but now they are getting lost in your rhetoric IMO.

Absolutely.

The extent to which he puts Megson's comments under the microscope is bordering on the obsessional. It is of course important to monitor how the manager projects himself, but not to this degree.

When the results are not going so well it is interesting to see how random and desperate some people can be in deciding on the factors that are to blame which are usually highly presumptuous. For my money, all that has happened is a slight shift in a number of things that have been threatening to occur all along. We've had to struggle to get where we have, it was almost inevitable that we couldn't carry on like that indefinitely. With a bit of focus and application there is no reason we cannot go back on a good run, but it will take the same sort of effort it required earlier in the season and this takes it's toll in the long run.

Too many people were getting carried away a few months ago when we were in a good position.

This is the thing for me

A few weeks ago nobody, not one person, was slating our players and saying our squad wasn't good enough - contrast to now with a lot saying the squad is weak and not comparable to peer clubs.

We have lost one significasnt player granted - but any team should be able to cope with the loss of one player - however influential - without imploding.

There seems to be a groundswell on here where GM's position has been sacrosanct and you can't even bring it to the table whether any of this can be laid at his door.

The players have been slated, Paul Aldridge has laughably been in the firing line and even MM himself - but don't dare whisper that the manager may need to be taking more of a forensic analysis.

For what its worth i think currently we're in and around where we should be - not overperforming like Stevenage or MK nor disappointing like Preston.

I like GM and felt football in general has sometimes judged him incredibly harshly and even erroneously - but he has had his negatives and i don't think whats happening regarding his input should be a virtual no-go area without a million negs cutting short further debate.

One of the best managers ever to come to these shores IMO, Hawkeye.

agreed. i think hes one of the greatest managers in european football personally.

but fans are still criticising his methods, style and decisions - Arsenal will be one of the most cash rich clubs in world football in the next ten years, and it will be all thanks to Arsenes thriftiness in the transfer market.

my point it simply that sometimes as fans, we allow our hearts to run away with the decision making - ultimately, good managers like wenger do what is right for the football club, and im 100% confident that the spend/no spend we have currently done, is all down to a drive to protect us and make us stable in the future.

never again should our outgoings overtake our income - and i also include the owner chucking a pot of cash into it.

This is the thing for me

A few weeks ago nobody, not one person, was slating our players and saying our squad wasn't good enough - contrast to now with a lot saying the squad is weak and not comparable to peer clubs.

We have lost one significasnt player granted - but any team should be able to cope with the loss of one player - however influential - without imploding.

There seems to be a groundswell on here where GM's position has been sacrosanct and you can't even bring it to the table whether any of this can be laid at his door.

The players have been slated, Paul Aldridge has laughably been in the firing line and even MM himself - but don't dare whisper that the manager may need to be taking more of a forensic analysis.

For what its worth i think currently we're in and around where we should be - not overperforming like Stevenage or MK nor disappointing like Preston.

I like GM and felt football in general has sometimes judged him incredibly harshly and even erroneously - but he has had his negatives and i don't think whats happening regarding his input should be a virtual no-go area without a million negs cutting short further debate.

The thing is Scram, generally the comments made/topics started/opinions raised about Megson are pretty hysterical. we were all pretty happy with the state of affairs not long ago, its only over the last couple of weeks when things have gone a little downhill that the threads have started again.

his decisions etc are always up for debate, but sadly most of the comments are so laughable it kills all chances of that.

I dont understand why people keep saying we've got a strong squad.

Apart from Madine, Lowe, COG and Mike Jones, who all incidentally come from teams below us, and Semedo who came from a team in the same league, we've got a squad of other teams 'cast offs'.

Ben Marshall papered over some very large cracks.

Megson has(d) instilled a battling mentally, it can only get us so far, we've overachieved and Megson should take some credit for that, we need some speed and creativity to push on imo.

Edited by Weshallovercome

Where do people think Charlton or Huddersfields players come from? They may, along with the Blades, have a bigger playing budget than us but when it comes to squad strength, you won't find much stronger than ours It's not that long ago that people were comparing our squad favourably with Uniteds.. Madine was apparently better than Evans, their keeper was a joke and all bar Lowton and Quinn were hopeless In truth there isn't much between the two squads Would their team be as impressive if they had to play with the shackles on?

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

But you're doing yourself a disservice by focussing on this one subject. Its the only thing we are hearing from you at the moment. A debate has got to stop at some point - surely you know that. You are labouring the point. I think that you have made some good points but now they are getting lost in your rhetoric IMO.

Fair do's.

I suppose I am just fighting my corner. I feel strongly about our club my posts are out of concern, not to stir up trouble.

But as you have said, enough is enough. I have made point.

It is difficult though when people keep responding to my comments, because I disagree with them....but hey ho!...I respect what you're saying.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Owlstalk is quickly turning into a haven for over-reacting drama queens with Neil fanning the flames. I fully understand certain ppl like to get a debate going and it's in some ppl's interest keep these debates going. But I'd really like to read ppl's actual point of view rather than some attempt to create a frenzy

Neil is an employee of the club, his very existance like eveyone elses depends on Aldridge not Megson.

The only person outside the playing staff who does n't fret about Aldridge is Megson. A dichotomy is developing and it needs to be put right.

Megson needs to be given the business plan so he can work within that framework, he thought he had this on his arrival but someone keeps moving the goal posts.