Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

hirst ,thome ,bougherra ,alexandersson ,whelan ,brunt ,palmer ,warhurst ,harkes,bart-williams,pearson ,watson ,watts,worthington ,talbut,tudgay,grant .....to be honest mate i was going to agree with you and then i thought about it .

But then there are (just off the top of my head)...

Jonk

Magilton

Hinchcliffe

Stefanovic

Carbone

Di Canio

Phil O'Donnelly-Triumverate

De Bilde

Any of these turn a profit?

Jemson's career fell apart after the car crash he was involved in. Hardly Tricky Trev's fault... And Sinton a bad signing ? How was that Francis' fault ? Sinton was an England international.

So was keith curle and he was poo too

from my time

Sibon

Kuqi

De Bilde

Carbone

Stefanovich

Di Canio

Quinn

Bromby

Thome

Kovacevic

Ian Taylor

Chris Bart Williams

Kevin Pressman

Paul Heffernan

Frank Simek

Deon Burton

Juan Cobian

Wayne Collins

i'm sure there are a hell of a lot more transfers where we've ballsed up on big time

FRICKIN PEANUT BRAIN

David fackin Pleat..............................

Had more money to spend than any Wednesday manager in history and squandered the lot leaving us with a relegation quality squad.

It was obvious that Hirsty , Shez and Waddle were coming towards the end of their careers , but instead of retaining them and utilising their ability to help mould a new younger squad ( a la Fergie with Giggs , Scholes etc ) he got shut of the lot to try and prove a point to the fans.

Within a year we had a midfield of Whittingham , Atherton , Humphreys and Pembridge......................not the most skilful Pleat admitted but all "solid citizens" WTF!!!

When this quartet inevitably failed Pleat ( the guy who allowed Waddle and Sheridan to leave ) commented to The Star that we needed to sign someone who could "manipulate the ball "......................and promptly wasted the last of the charterhouse money on .................Jim Magilton !!!!!

Guest Briscoe Inferno

We sold Kovacevic for 2.5m, who a year or so later went for 18m.

This one.....

It would have made a huge difference at the time but even if we had got real money for Darko, Dave Richards would probably have blown that too or thrown it into his favourite fountain in the hope it would bring him good luck...

Not had time to read all the posts so this has probably come up, but it has to be Darko Kovacavic for me. Simply because we sold him for so little and he went on to be worth so much more within a matter of a couple of years.

Edit; just noticed the post above me says the same thing

Edited by Leaping Lannys Perm

Guest roblowe25

I dont think anyone has mentioned this, but Richard Wood. Had bids for him in the summer which we turned down, get to October and realise he isnt going to sign a new contract so his value plummets and we have to sell him for peanuts.

We then dont have anyone to replace him and he scored against @ Ricoh Arena at the end of the season which was one of the last nails in the coffin to us being relegated.

Just shows how poorly we were administrated at that time.

I dont think anyone has mentioned this, but Richard Wood. Had bids for him in the summer which we turned down, get to October and realise he isnt going to sign a new contract so his value plummets and we have to sell him for peanuts.

We then dont have anyone to replace him and he scored against @ Ricoh Arena at the end of the season which was one of the last nails in the coffin to us being relegated.

Just shows how poorly we were administrated at that time.

To be fair that was down to Imre his agent who knew he wasn't going to re-sign but didn't tell us until we were forced into a fire sale.

Guest roblowe25

To be fair that was down to Imre his agent who knew he wasn't going to re-sign but didn't tell us until we were forced into a fire sale.

Yer that is a fair enough point, but doesnt mean it wasnt a poor transfer, in hindsight us staying up would have covered the transfer fee. Plus it was Wood's prerogative to leave us in the dark, but we should have prepared for the fact that if somsones goes into the last year of thier contract and they hold value as a player we have to more than 'hope' a player nowadays will be loyal and re-sign.

I cant remember but didnt the same thing happen with Tudgay? maybe not with bids coming in in the summer, but we didnt prepare for the eventuality that he was out of contract and we would be forced into a quick sale...

Not the worst but one that really pissed me off was Kevin Pressman. The guy was a legend and Turner just fvcked him off, still not had a testimonial to date & he even said he was willing to accept large a pay cut to stay at the club. He still had a few good seasons in him, even if he would have been on the bench. He deserved some respect and got none! Really fvcked me off, was at the same time he carted Quinn/Geary etc off as well.

Wilkinson going to L**ds..Then been allowed to hand pick our players..And he would have signed Cantona for us.

The difference is not that we crashed and burnt afterwards like with other managers but we lost a lot of potential of actually winning the Premier league.Which he went on to do.

Jonk

Magilton

Hinchcliffe

Stefanovic

Carbone

Di Canio

De Bilde

no they didnt mate and a load more besides .rudi ,sibon ,atherton ,bright ,waddle ,walker ,kuqi ,armstrong ,nilsson.wilson ,shirtliff,sedloski ,jemson ,jeffers for starters .....add these to your group and we must have lost around 20 million .

Not the worst but one that really pissed me off was Kevin Pressman. The guy was a legend and Turner just fvcked him off, still not had a testimonial to date & he even said he was willing to accept large a pay cut to stay at the club. He still had a few good seasons in him, even if he would have been on the bench. He deserved some respect and got none! Really fvcked me off, was at the same time he carted Quinn/Geary etc off as well.

For the last couple of years Pressman was just too immobile to be a top goalkeeper and couldn't get down quickly enough. Doesn't stop him from having been an excellent servant for the club though.

Kovacevic only appeared 16 times before we sold him. That had nothing to do with work permits. It was Stefanovic for whom that was an issue a couple of years later. Wilson kept him on the bench so at the end of that season we had no choice but to let him go as he'd not appeared in enough games to qualify for a renewal.

I'm sure I read somewhere that stefanovic only needed 1 more sub appearance that season to qualify for a permit!

Jonk

Magilton

Hinchcliffe

Stefanovic

Carbone

Di Canio

De Bilde

No they didnt but to be honest, with most of those, the problem wasn't the outgoing transfer, but the actual signing in the first place.

O Donnell, Donnelly and Andy Hinchcliffe were known crocks, Hinchcliffe apparently failed a medical but was still signed, and Jonk was put on a ridiculous contract and spent his time stealing a wage and pretending to be injured,

Definitely some of the worst inbound transfers we made.

I've woken up in some strange parallel owlstalk reality where it has been suggested that losing Richard Wood was the worst outgoing transfer we've made...

The only bad thing about his transfer was that we didn't ship him out immediately

I'm sure I read somewhere that stefanovic only needed 1 more sub appearance that season to qualify for a permit!

As I recall he was several games short, but me and my brother were mentioning it still with several months to go. I remember one game in particular where we had a handy lead and he stayed on the bench even though we had at least one substitution spare. What a terrible manager Wilson was for us.

Still, good job Stefanovic didn't go on to a decent career or even return as an accomplished Premiership performer eh?

:dry:

Wow, I just looked him up and never realised he was still playing occasionally. Apparently he's player/coach at Havant and Waterlooville !