Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

Guest zipzippy

Grant holt has to be one of our most bizzarre ones....plucked from none league obscurity ..looked crap Sold to non league then re-appears a few years later to fire Norwich to 2 promotions and one of the top scorer in the premier league

Grant holt has to be one of our most bizzarre ones....plucked from none league obscurity ..looked crap Sold to non league then re-appears a few years later to fire Norwich to 2 promotions and one of the top scorer in the premier league

He was gash for us to be fair, and hindsight is wonderful pal, agree that he has done really well for himself tbh, i would never in a million years would have ever expected him to do what he has done.

Edited by 03 owl

However bad some of the managers have been, Pleat really does take some beating. He couldn't handle characters and made bad decision after bad decision with no regard to the long term ramifications. Even with the Waddler he turns down a 500,000 bid from Celtic at end of the '96 season, only to release him a couple of months later for nothing. He had no regard for the club or it's supporters and only thought about No.1. I detested him and still refuse to listen to his disingenuous comments when speaking on the radio. Thank God for Megson!!

Didn't Pleat turn down 4 million for Andy Booth from Tottenham ?

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.

Gutted when Paul Warhurst left, always hated Blackburn after that.

Also gutted about that one.

I saw him in the petrol station on his way there to sign. It was the last one in Stocksbridge and he was fuelling his golf for the trip across the pennines. I mustered enough courage to ask him if he was going to Blackburn and he couldn't even look me in the eye. He just muttered I don't know son.

Collectively selling off the early 90s team a year or two too early.

Thanks Trev

1.75m.

Couldve probably got £7-10m for him before the whole incident.

Give over

My thoughts exactly, to be honest how do you defend a player that lays hands on a ref?...I know Alcock made a fvckin' meal of it, but you don't do it. Di Canio wanted out, he should have turned up to play against Leicester if I remember correctly, he did not show, the blokes a footballing genius, i loved watching him play, but I remember him throwing a ball at a Linesman, I think was against Watford, sent off....3 weeks in fvckin' Roma....he was calculating when he wanted to be....."aww let me off... look at me i'm mental"...

You know who I was sad to see go? Marc Degryse...i thought he was a very underrated player for Wednesday

Got to agree

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Why did we let FJ9 run his contract down and go on a free I will never understand !

He should have been SHOT ! :angry:

Guest jhancock

Going back into the Eighties the worst player we let go was Bannister he was a class act. At the time I played golf at the same club as Bert Magee, Stan Speight & Matt Sheppard three of the then Board. I asked Stan Speight why did you let him go and he said it was because he wanted too much money. That has been Wednesday's problem for years and we always suffer with it such as when Maclean left for what turned out to be a few quid more a week.

John Hancock

Quality Players & Managers we have lost needlessly in my life as an Owl. ( players we did n't push boat out for)

Albert Quixall; Harry Catterick;(Joe Baker) Tony Kay; Wilf Smith; Peter Eustace; John Quinn; Ian Knight; Dalian Atkinson; Ron Atkinson(twice); (Eric Cantona); Roland Nilsson; Siggi Jonsson

Sorry but I have only dealt with what I consider to be an absoloute elite in quality.

Your memory is playing tricks Nev. Ian Knight was finished by that thug Bennett (even their own fans called him Psycho) in a cup match against Chester. Completely shattered his leg and he never played again. Worse challenge I have EVER seen malicious and deliberate and he was the finest young centre half in England at the time.

I'm old enough to remember the dark days of the 70's when we had a very good right back called Richard Walden who we had to sell to Newport County for financial reasons FFS!

Then presumably you will also remember Dave Cusack leaving for Southend (I think) citing our lack of ambition as his main reason for going!

he may well have done if pearson and shirtliff had been fit to play but they wern't so he had to play at the back and for him to threaten to pull out that day coz he couldnt play up front tells you everything you need to know about the bloke .he played up front in the league cup final and he didnt trouble the arsenal back 4 to much that day .

You kidding? He ran them ragged the first 20 and if the shot that hit the woodwork had gone in it was 2-0 and game over. The goal was still shaking at half time!

I'm old enough to remember the dark days of the 70's when we had a very good right back called Richard Walden who we had to sell to Newport County for financial reasons FFS!

this was the first wednesday player i remember being sold, i think ashurst took him to newport with him and the fee was set by a tribuneral and wednesday got about £2,500.

worst for me was john harkes to derby, it was the start of the breakup of the best wednesday team i have ever seen.

Guest Bald Owl

We sold Kovacevic for 2.5m, who a year or so later went for 18m.

Didn't he shortly after go to Juve for 25M as well?