Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

I cant believe no-one has mentioned Grant Holt!!!

Was sold for just £35,000 to Rochdale in 2004, profilic in the lower leagues for a few seasons and is now doing the business for Norwich in the Premier League and tipped for England, just 7-8 years after he was wrote off by us!!!

Holt has been mentioned in this thread

But i think its laughable if people tink thats the worst outgoing transfer we ever made

Firstly Holt wasn't good enough for what we needed at the time - and after leaving us he dropped down the divisions and it was several season before he was back playing at our level again.

People aren't seriously suggesting we should have persevered with a player for 4-5 seasons of not being good enough on the off chance he might go on to be good enough later on are they?

If that was the case we'd never release a player

Edited by scram

Grant holt has to be one of our most bizzarre ones....plucked from none league obscurity ..looked crap Sold to non league then re-appears a few years later to fire Norwich to 2 promotions and one of the top scorer in the premier league

Selling Grant Holt to fund the purchase of Kim Olsen is the most recent poor sale.

We had no cash and (whilst admittedly raw) Holt looked a great prospect.

I was going to suggest Holt. At the time though no-one complained - he wasn't particularly popular with Wednesday fans.

I cant believe no-one has mentioned Grant Holt!!!

Was sold for just £35,000 to Rochdale in 2004, profilic in the lower leagues for a few seasons and is now doing the business for Norwich in the Premier League and tipped for England, just 7-8 years after he was wrote off by us!!!

;-)

hes done well since leaving us, but only because he left us, if that makes sense? no way on earth would he have developed as well in that wednesday side, with all the issues that were flying around.

was a hasty decision but not the worst, not by a long chalk.

Goce Sedloski. Just highlighted how daft we and the transfer market had got

We had to let him go because of the work permit situation...I spoke to him several times and he was gutted to leave but Des Walker and Thome were the regular centre backs so he couldn't get enough games

We had to let him go because of the work permit situation...I spoke to him several times and he was gutted to leave but Des Walker and Thome were the regular centre backs so he couldn't get enough games

same situation with Kovacevic wasnt it? he hadnt played enough games to stay or something?

same situation with Kovacevic wasnt it? he hadnt played enough games to stay or something?

Stefanovic you mean? Yes, that's what happened. Another shambles overseen by Wilson. My brother and I highlighted this issue when there was still plenty of time to do something about it and it's not like he was outclassed by the other 'talent' at the club at that point. Another good player and/or couple of million quid squandered through incompetence.

Stefanovic you mean? Yes, that's what happened. Another shambles overseen by Wilson. My brother and I highlighted this issue when there was still plenty of time to do something about it and it's not like he was outclassed by the other 'talent' at the club at that point. Another good player and/or couple of million quid squandered through incompetence.

i did mean Kovacevic, i thought ol' Dejan played more games than Darko? My dad mentioned it to me actually, he was suggesting Darko needed to play 5 more games than he did, and would it have killed wednesday to bring him off the bench a few times.. he nearly shat his pants in rage when he was sold for millions later...

flip me, he actually had a decent record!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Kova%C4%8Devi%C4%87

Edited by Hawkeye

i did mean Kovacevic, i thought ol' Dejan played more games than Darko? My dad mentioned it to me actually, he was suggesting Darko needed to play 5 more games than he did, and would it have killed wednesday to bring him off the bench a few times.. he nearly shat his pants in rage when he was sold for millions later...

flip me, he actually had a decent record!!

http://en.wikipedia....%C4%8Devi%C4%87

Kovacevic only appeared 16 times before we sold him. That had nothing to do with work permits. It was Stefanovic for whom that was an issue a couple of years later. Wilson kept him on the bench so at the end of that season we had no choice but to let him go as he'd not appeared in enough games to qualify for a renewal.

Kovacevic only appeared 16 times before we sold him. That had nothing to do with work permits. It was Stefanovic for whom that was an issue a couple of years later. Wilson kept him on the bench so at the end of that season we had no choice but to let him go as he'd not appeared in enough games to qualify for a renewal.

ah i see, i always thought it was Darko.. good old didwell..

Posted · Hidden by Big Malc, April 12, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Big Malc, April 12, 2012 - No reason given

The worst outgoing transfer in Sheffield surely has to be the outgoing transfer of WelshJuice from Ched's wee wee tail into the fleshy hole of his FreshLamb.

john ritchie was another awful bit of business bought him for 80k and then sold him back to stoke for 27k coz we thought his best days were behind him and proceded to score another 71 goals in 160 games for them ........

I'm not going to highlight just one transfer, but rather argue that our transfer dealing for a long time were crap. How many players over the last twenty years have we turned a profit on?

hirst ,thome ,bougherra ,alexandersson ,whelan ,brunt ,palmer ,warhurst ,harkes,bart-williams,pearson ,watson ,watts,worthington ,talbut,tudgay,grant .....to be honest mate i was going to agree with you and then i thought about it .

from my time

Sibon

Kuqi

De Bilde

Carbone

Stefanovich

Di Canio

Quinn

Bromby

Thome

Kovacevic

Ian Taylor

Chris Bart Williams

Kevin Pressman

Paul Heffernan

Frank Simek

Deon Burton

Juan Cobian

Wayne Collins

i'm sure there are a hell of a lot more transfers where we've ballsed up on big time

Dont really understand these 5, pretty good reasons for letting all of these go I think.

But the list of ballsed up transfers at Wednesday has to be longer than anywhere else, not just outgoing, but also the amount of injured players we signed on ridiculous contracts

Sedloski said that as soon as Wilson took over doors were closed for him, and was even sent to train with academy players