Worst Outgoing Transfer Ever?

Guest ™Goody™

Not standing by Di Canio after his push and ultimititely forcing him to leave for nowhere near what he was worth. We lost our best player and didn't get enough cash to be able to replace him.

Completely agree with this post. Danny Wilson should have stood by this player. This not only led to Paolo leaving but Carbone followed. Our 2 best players went for a hell of a lot less than they should have. All because of Danny Wilson not standing by his player.

Look where he is now...

Completely agree with this post. Danny Wilson should have stood by this player. This not only led to Paolo leaving but Carbone followed. Our 2 best players went for a hell of a lot less than they should have. All because of Danny Wilson not standing by his player.

Look where he is now...

while no way standing up for wilson i think richards would have played a bigger part in di canio leaving ,it was about the time that he was trying to worm his way into the fa/prem hierachy and can imagine he thought it would be good for his image to show how righteous he could be by getting rid of di canio ......i think that wilson being weak just toed the party line .

Yes, those 4 visits to Wembley 2 years later were the some of the low points.

Francis made some bad decisions towards the latter end of his time with us , but there were numerous transfer transactions underaken by Pleat that that turned us from an average side to relegation material.

Despite everything that Wilson, Yorath, Shreeves, Turner, Irvine did to us , Pleat, in my opinion, will always be the one that did the most damage. The 95-96 kit pays testimony to this.

Losing the 93 FA Cup final reply was a real low point for me. And Francis made some bad decisions at the start of his term like signing Jemson for 800,000, not signing Cantona and blowing 1.3million on Woods when we already had 2 good keepers and to put it in perspective Man Utd signed Schmeical for 550,000 that same summer

Very good list Nev.

Cannot agree about Ian Knight though, not doubting his talent, but he was done after that scummy tvvat bennett did him.

You cannot blame the club for that.

No, sorry not into blame thing, we lost him because of Bennett, but we lost him. Siggi Jonsson we sold but Souness did for him in a Scotland Iceland match after he'd gone to Arsenal.

Quality Players & Managers we have lost needlessly in my life as an Owl. ( players we did n't push boat out for)

Albert Quixall; Harry Catterick;(Joe Baker) Tony Kay; Wilf Smith; Peter Eustace; John Quinn; Ian Knight; Dalian Atkinson; Ron Atkinson(twice); (Eric Cantona); Roland Nilsson; Siggi Jonsson

Sorry but I have only dealt with what I consider to be an absoloute elite in quality.

Ian Knight and Siggi Jonsson left or retired because of serious injury unfortunatley, nowt much we could do about that.

I would add Brian Marwood, Lee Chapman, Mel Sterland, Nigel Pearson, Worthington, Palmer, Sheridan, Hirst and Harkes from the late 80s / early 90s along with (Mark Wright) and (Gordon Strachan)

Plus Petrescu, Kovacevic, Thome, Di Canio, Brunt, Whelan.

Also a rare bit of bad business from Big Ron (apart from selling Dalian Atkinson) was letting Newsome and Weatherall go to Leeds for next to nothing, helping them win the League then signing Newsome back for 1.6 million a few years later!

Guest kylejswfc

Even to this day, it brings my blood to a boil how we treated him after that incident. Im not saying what he did was right, far from it, looking back now our club did the right thing in fining him. What followed after that was a complete joke, forcing him to leave the club was the wrong decision. Players have done worse things at other clubs, and the club have still supported that player after everything calms down. The same should have happend with Di Canio.

I remember a TV special (cant remember the programme) by the BBC where they went to Rome to find Di Canio after he went AWOL, they found him outside some cafe. He was saying what the club said to him straight after the incident, basically get out the club we don't want you anymore. Bet they think differently now.

Yeah I am 100% behind this! Especially when you see managers at other clubs (Wenger being the one that springs to mind mainly) absolutely ridiculing themselves to stick up for their own player!

Guest SnookerOwl

instead of who ?......

Lets for one moment forget about how much we all love Hirst; there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Warhurst deserved to start the FA cup final. He was on absolute fire, and almost everything he touched turned to a goal, he was a revelation, and he would have troubled Arsenals back 4 a lot more than an unfit Hirst.

Kind David should have been on the bench.

Not standing by Di Canio after his push and ultimititely forcing him to leave for nowhere near what he was worth. We lost our best player and didn't get enough cash to be able to replace him.

this completely . we do like to be seen to do the right thing . can you imagine any other club hanging their most prized possession out to dry because a referee acts like an Italian footballer .

Lets for one moment forget about how much we all love Hirst; there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Warhurst deserved to start the FA cup final. He was on absolute fire, and almost everything he touched turned to a goal, he was a revelation, and he would have troubled Arsenals back 4 a lot more than an unfit Hirst.

Kind David should have been on the bench.

he may well have done if pearson and shirtliff had been fit to play but they wern't so he had to play at the back and for him to threaten to pull out that day coz he couldnt play up front tells you everything you need to know about the bloke .he played up front in the league cup final and he didnt trouble the arsenal back 4 to much that day .

I think no matter what Wednesday would have done Di Canio would have left. Wednesday were not the first club he left under a cloud.

My thoughts exactly, to be honest how do you defend a player that lays hands on a ref?...I know Alcock made a fvckin' meal of it, but you don't do it. Di Canio wanted out, he should have turned up to play against Leicester if I remember correctly, he did not show, the blokes a footballing genius, i loved watching him play, but I remember him throwing a ball at a Linesman, I think was against Watford, sent off....3 weeks in fvckin' Roma....he was calculating when he wanted to be....."aww let me off... look at me i'm mental"...

You know who I was sad to see go? Marc Degryse...i thought he was a very underrated player for Wednesday

Ian Knight and Siggi Jonsson left or retired because of serious injury unfortunatley, nowt much we could do about that.

I would add Brian Marwood, Lee Chapman, Mel Sterland, Nigel Pearson, Worthington, Palmer, Sheridan, Hirst and Harkes from the late 80s / early 90s along with (Mark Wright) and (Gordon Strachan)

Plus Petrescu, Kovacevic, Thome, Di Canio, Brunt, Whelan.

Also a rare bit of bad business from Big Ron (apart from selling Dalian Atkinson) was letting Newsome and Weatherall go to Leeds for next to nothing, helping them win the League then signing Newsome back for 1.6 million a few years later!

I was just going to mention Dalian Atkinson, but did we have a choice there? We probably had to sell someone.

But we had already won the League Cup under Atkinson. With the right additions to the squad we should have won more trophies and possibly even the league in 91-92. Francis made some great signings, Waddle, Walker, Warhurst (as a forward not centre half as you mention) and Bart Williams but also made some bad signings (Jemson, Ingesson, Nolan, Sinton, Andy Pearce, Poric) the non-signing of Cantona plus, as has been mentioned, he let some key players go way too early like Pearson, Harkes, Palmer, Worthington, Nilsson (maybe not Francis's fault), Warhurst.

Jemson's career fell apart after the car crash he was involved in. Hardly Tricky Trev's fault... And Sinton a bad signing ? How was that Francis' fault ? Sinton was an England international.

Losing the 93 FA Cup final reply was a real low point for me. And Francis made some bad decisions at the start of his term like signing Jemson for 800,000, not signing Cantona and blowing 1.3million on Woods when we already had 2 good keepers and to put it in perspective Man Utd signed Schmeical for 550,000 that same summer

You're on the wind up now ...

So Francis was at fault for signing the England keeper ?

Jemson's career fell apart after the car crash he was involved in. Hardly Tricky Trev's fault... And Sinton a bad signing ? How was that Francis' fault ? Sinton was an England international.

I remember when we signed Sinton close season thinking we were signing the final piece of a side that was going to win things.

On the face of it, Sinton was a fantastic signing (and beating Arsenal to his signature was a major coup) - it just didn't work out though.