SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE

Swansea a couple of seasons back. SYP's policy of letting both sets of fans out onto Leppings Lane has been an accident waiting to happen for years. It always amazes me how one fat WPC holding a Dixons Camcorder manages to put off 250 hardcore football hooligans.

The police have an impossible job. Their trying to stop the same people who fight at football, in pubs, in clubs and on a Sunday morning in the pub league. It's the same people, and they'll fight whether a big barrier is in place or not.

So why put a big barrier up then ?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest TonyOwl88

South Yorkshire Police's approach to football matches at Hillsborough is far less than impressive.

Can't speak for today, since I didn't see what went off, but just look at Crystal Palace a year and a half ago. They allowed the Palace fans to invade the pitch, and then clubbed the poo poo out of Wednesday fans who followed suit.

All pitch invasions are wrong, but SYP's inability to hold a line, and to deal with situations in an appropriate manner causes us more problems as fans than anything else.

We are a generally well-behaved club, and I find it astonishing that we are treated like an 80's Millwall or something.

Disappointed to hear of trouble from the West Ham fans. I was happy to welcome them to Hillsborough and don't understand the trouble afterwards, since I wouldn't have been too fussed no matter what the result was.

Guest bartos

I've a great idea..

On games you want to keep fans apart, keep the away supporters inside for 10 or 15 minutes after the game

its all just a symptom of how we are treated as football fans, go here, you can't go there etc. As has been said the barriers only serve to create hostility plus as they did at the Lane they seem to filter the crowd together, just a bit further away from the ground. We came out of the lane into a mix of owls and blunts and no coppers

Heaven forbid when we do get back in the Prem and there are big games most home games, The panic about segregation, the way the ticket allocation was made at the lane with rows being missed !!. We see it most weeks that opposing fans are separated by a couple of lines of stewards, even at the big derby games but it is a different story for us. If we can get close to filling the ground for the derby lets see what bright ideas they come up with, whether thats SYP, the safety officer or the Club

The vast majority of fans want to go to a game, enjoy it and do this freely I resent so much the way we are penalised and restricted, unlike fans of other sports or entertainment

spot on.

SYP are run by imbeciles.

I've a great idea..

On games you want to keep fans apart, keep the away supporters inside for 10 or 15 minutes after the game

And thats what they used to do, and it worked a treat. No idea why they changed it.

The police didn't manage the crowd correctly at the semi final, the stadium was hardly fit for purpose (no safety certificate etc) but the real cause of the problems was the thousands of Liverpool fans outside the ground who tried to force their way into the ground, after turning up very very late. Ninety six people, who were in the ground in plenty of time to watch the game lost their lives because of the efforts of SY Police, SWFC and thousands of idiots from Liverpool. Don't lay the blame for 96 deaths solely at the door of South Yorkshire police.

Liverpool fans have a track record of this, not only causing trouble and killing people at Heysel but also not so many years in Athens? Champs League final where they rushed the gates again without tickets and Sky Sports showed some bragging about it saying no one dare blame them after Hillsborough...................................flipping hubcap knicking scum!

I've a great idea..

Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

Was watching the Manc derby earlier, United fans were kept in the ground for a good 15 minutes after the match, why SYP can't adopt this approach is a mystery to me.

The police didn't manage the crowd correctly at the semi final, the stadium was hardly fit for purpose (no safety certificate etc) but the real cause of the problems was the thousands of Liverpool fans outside the ground who tried to force their way into the ground, after turning up very very late. Ninety six people, who were in the ground in plenty of time to watch the game lost their lives because of the efforts of SY Police, SWFC and thousands of idiots from Liverpool. Don't lay the blame for 96 deaths solely at the door of South Yorkshire police.

2nd this! well said.

like this you mean?

<<<<< see this one big hard celtic man kicking a little kid?

Them days have gone for a reason, lets keep them gone, when I take my son to S6 I go wanting to enjoy the match and experience not fear for our lives!

Ha ha..Don't know what's more funny..The fact that you went to so much trouble to express such disaproval or the sight of the man in dungarees goading em on!! flipping joke pal!! Lighten up!

Edited by fatzooma

A real shame, the atmosphere before and during the game was really friendly.

I've had a season ticket on the north stand for 9 years entering via leppings lane and not once seen any trouble. In fact the only 2 times I can recall any sort of scuffle anywhere near the ground both came at Brammall Lane and both involved syp. once when SYP were picking out Wednesday fans at pure random to pen them in and march them into town, despite their protests of things like "my brothers over there with the car" pointing to a man stood next to a car. This led to them being targeted by blades.

Another time after we won there the other year a pig shoved a Wednesday fan with his son straight in the chest, when the Wednesday fan turned to an on looking policeman and said "did you just see that" he got another shove, this time from the copper, and was told to "get a f***Ing move on".

I've a great idea..

Keeping away fans locked in for a period of time after the game never goes down well (apart from Millwall away), especially for night games at places like Plymouth which happened a few years ago.

Our fans surged and pushed several coppers out of the way to get out which then resulted in a few lads who were at the front of the crowd that were pushed into the being coppers arrested.

In my opinion there is an institutional problem with police and particularly riot police.

I have heard some 'banter' that riot police engaged in when they were together and it was vile.

I also remember being herded up after bramall lane 3 years ago and the attitude of the police was disgusting.

Edited by Beholder

Guest intercity0wl

Anyone else notice the larger than normal police prescence on Penistone Road today? What was all that about?

Just after Christmas, and overtime available maybe.

Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

Was watching the Manc derby earlier, United fans were kept in the ground for a good 15 minutes after the match, why SYP can't adopt this approach is a mystery to me.

Yeah, but surely there'd have been some massive barriers outside for them to utilise to stop any trouble. I also assume that there was a huge no mans land between the 2 sets of fans inside the stadium, like we have to have and like was seen at the lane. And rows of seats not used.