SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE

I wasn't there today, I know, part timer and all that, but what was the deal with the barriers? Where were they, for what purpose, and where did they funnel people to?

I sit at the away end of the North every game. Always come out at final whistle into a sea of owls and away fans mingling outside. Normally a line of coppers at the roadside, one of em always has a camera, same one every week by the way so it must be his or summat, and I've not seen any trouble for ages. After the udders game there was hardly a copper in sight by the way, no bother and fans mingling.

Coincidence that its kicked off today?

I come out of the same entrance and have done for years. When playing teams who have a decent away following there is a bad a atmosphere, particularly if Wednesday have lost. It only takes a spark and it could all kick off imo. So I understand that the police might want to try something to get fans away from that area asap. But, like you say, there hasn’t been any trouble there for a long long time.

Not sure about the specifics about yesterdays trouble. I only saw one barrier across the leppings lane car park, which basically funneled people right up to the fence and out onto Leppings lane. This allowed home fans to get out of the gates without any away fans mixing immediately.

Of course it was incident free , to say anything else would be to say look at us were not fit for the job and we couldn't care less about anyone apart from our wages . what would you rather do part fighting fans or nick an old woman with a tail light out while being all masterful . coppers no longer give a rats about the public . They join fir the pension and the power of being able to talk down to people who risk arrest if you answer back . I have known 5 people in my life who have become coppers and not one of them had any interest whatsoever in serving and keeping the public safe .

They claim no trouble so they'll be congratulating themselves on the successful barriers . anyone else think that the reason that the police didn't get involved is that there would have been a report and inquiry . by not getting involved and letting them fight , nothing happened so no report so barriers are a success .

I really believe that our police don't have a clue about football matches. With 55 years at Hillsborough, I have seen trouble break out on several occasions actually caused by the tactics of the police. During the miners strike (well before the Hillsborough disaster), I remember being driven at by a police vehicle on the pavement and then threatened with arrest because I was in their way! I have written to the Chief Constable on two occasions but the replies were always from someone so convincved that they were right that they ignored every point I raised and were in "transmit mode" only.

When I read about the barrier trial, I initially welcomed it as a means of allowing our stadium to be properly filled at the United match, without the ridiculous gaps enforced by the police (gaps that never seem to be necessary at Premier League grounds). However, when I saw what had been erected as I left the North Stand, I was horrified. Thise barriers may just about be acceptable in a war zone, but at a football match, with paying customers, quite ridiculous. The West Ham support was good and reminded me of football a gereration ago when we could all mix together. If there was trouible outside because of the barrier, then the police have to take full responsibility for what they have done.The police will never get it but their stupid tactics and the use of such inappropriate devices creates trouble. I am convinced that some of them come to the game looking for trouble and actually try and create it.

They won't listen but what they need to do is:

1 Ensure the crowd is safe and ensure that the traffic is properly directed

2 use their intelligence gathering to identify any really difficult groups from both clubs playing - and isolate them

3 Give us space to leave the groung at the end, rather than deliberately standing in our way in an attempt to provoke us

3 For the rest of us - 99%, treat as citizens of this country who pay their wages, who have paid to go to an entertainment venue.

But no-one is listening...........

You do realise the type of self important look at what I can make people do person that joins the police . they are in a no lose situation . they want to prove that all fans are hooligans so they want it to kick off so that they can not only prove their point but also bring in even more liberty eroding laws and so the circle goes on . the police are box tickers and until someone in power decides to make them fit for purpose box tickers is how they will remain . what do you think they would rather do for their money , put a tick in a box or get out of their car and arrest some thugs .

At the end of the day yes the barriers might create tension, but if people behaved normally they wouldn't see barriers and immediately start thinking they've got to fight what evers on the other side.

this is totally true . the thing is when you herd people together it creates a pack and us against them mentality . I'm not saying its right as I agree with you , but it is how humans behave .

This is probably the idea of some shiney arse polishing his or her trousers on a seat in an office totally ignoring the poor bobby who ends up dealing with the consequences. Its an attempt to cut costs and sod the consequences, they can then say they need less police and throw it back at SWFC to provide more stewards.

How many years have the average football fan seen how over handed policing or barriers create a hostile atmosphere yet we are continually ignored.They will carry on with it because they won't want to loose face by saying it doesn't work.

My bad, I thought you were talking about the disaster. That is wot I meant by my " a bit harsh " comment.

Sorry mate, I've just looked back at my post and it was a bit vague, I was just talking about policing I've witnessed at Hillsborough, you weren't to know that.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

At the end of the day yes the barriers might create tension, but if people behaved normally they wouldn't see barriers and immediately start thinking they've got to fight what evers on the other side.

Were you at the match - did you see the barriers? 9 feet high made of solid shiny metal.

My experience is that at Hillsborough, the home and away fans always come out together at the Leppings Lane end and there is rarely trouble there. I started going to Leppings Lane in 1956 and then the North stand when built in 1961. I have been using Leppings Lane a long time! Yesterday, they segregated the West Ham supporters and forced them down across the bridge where South Stand customers were exiting.So instead of coming out at Leppings lane where there is room, it was too many in too small a space down Parkside Rd. So where there previously wasn't a problem, they created one. My view is that, if the police had a clue how to recognise and treat 'normal' people, there would be much less trouble and they could concentrate on the 1% who are looking for trouble. When the supporteres were all mixed together, like normal people and like at Rugby matches, there was very little trouble. Once you segregate and herd people together you create an artifical gang culture. As stated by others, there is some belief that a section of the police actually want trouble to gibe then some excitement.

Edited by Andrew Robinson

My experience is that at Hillsborough, the home and away fans always come out together at the Leppings Lane end and there is rarely trouble there. I started going to Leppings Lane in 1956 and then the North stand when built in 1961. I have been using Leppings Lane a long time! Yesterday, they segregated the West Ham supporters and forced them down across the bridge where South Stand customers were exiting.So instead of coming out at Leppings lane where there is room, it was too many in too small a space down Parkside Rd. So where there previously wasn't a problem, they created one. My view is that, if the police had a clue how to recognise and treat 'normal' people, there would be much less trouble and they could concentrate on the 1% who are looking for trouble. When the supporteres were all mixed together, like normal people and like at Rugby matches, there was very little trouble. Once you segregate and herd people together you create an artifical gang culture. As stated by others, there is some belief that a section of the police actually want trouble to gibe then some excitement.

Sorry I don't understand that part Andrew.

As far as I understand the gate from the South stand into leppings lane was closed and therefore the WHU fans must have exited into leppings lane.

The trouble at the corner of parkside road & catch bar lane was caused by WHU fans coming back towards the stadium along parkside road from middlewood road

At the end of the day these "fans" who decide they wanna create trouble are f*cking cowards

testicles to the barriers excuse

testicles to the syp excuse

If there was no barriers & no police there would be no-one for these spineless or more people born out of wedlock to impress.

Sorry I don't understand that part Andrew.

As far as I understand the gate from the South stand into leppings lane was closed and therefore the WHU fans must have exited into leppings lane.

The trouble at the corner of parkside road & catch bar lane was caused by WHU fans coming back towards the stadium along parkside road from middlewood road

I had read that the gates from the south stand to Leppings Lane were to be closed but understood that half of the away supporters were funnelled back that way. If you are correct (I didn't go down there so have assumed that is what happened from posts on here), then the barriers were completely pointless as the home and away fans were all merging together as usual. There certainly was no trouble at Leppings Lane and the WHU supporters were still very friendly as they were before the match.

I had read that the gates from the south stand to Leppings Lane were to be closed but understood that half of the away supporters were funnelled back that way. If you are correct (I didn't go down there so have assumed that is what happened from posts on here), then the barriers were completely pointless as the home and away fans were all merging together as usual. There certainly was no trouble at Leppings Lane and the WHU supporters were still very friendly as they were before the match.

I exited the South stand at the leppings lane end and there was a row of stewards directing us to the bridge across the river and these were saying that the gate was closed. I crossed over the bridge and only then met with opposing fans walking towards tailtone road from leppings lane which is normal at all games.

As I said in another thread the trouble seemed to be between Wednesday fans that had congragated near the bridge & WHU fans coming down parkside road from the vicinity of the tram stop on middlewood road.

I didn't see the barriers at the leppings lane end but was told by a friend that they only segregated the fans for about 50 yards straight out of the exit gates and then the fans mixed on leppings lane itself.

I can't see what effect the barriers had on the trouble as it was well away from that area.