SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE

Heard an interesting piece on the radio about the police the other night. Apparently they do not have to undergo CRB checks. They were talking about Police in the Stoke area iirc.A newspaper has published an article in which it alleges that serving Police officers have been convicted of sex offences drug dealing and taking,theft, driving offences amongst other things. They also allege that two chief inspectors are included in the list. Can't find anything on the net to confirm.

Guest intercity0wl

I take it these barriers can do the job of Many officers, seeing as reports suggest there was no police presence near them, and most were having a natter a few streets away.

In my opinion there is an institutional problem with police and particularly riot police.

I have heard some 'banter' that riot police engaged in when they were together and it was vile.

I also remember being herded up after bramall lane 3 years ago and the attitude of the police was disgusting.

As I said in the miners strike thread I once knew a Police man who boasted that the strike in particular Orgreave paid for his house.

Heard an interesting piece on the radio about the police the other night. Apparently they do not have to undergo CRB checks. They were talking about Police in the Stoke area iirc.A newspaper has published an article in which it alleges that serving Police officers have been convicted of sex offences drug dealing and taking,theft, driving offences amongst other things. They also allege that two chief inspectors are included in the list. Can't find anything on the net to confirm.

...it's so they can understand the criminal mind better...

This - shame that will never be uncovered.

However, apparently there was a group of WHU fans booing a flag in memorial to some guy who died? Poor taste there.

Was stood at leppings lane before match waiting for mates and saw the lads walking down to the ground singing holding the RIP flag, heard no booing what so ever from Hammers fans, there was clapping from some Wednesdayites when they stopped to take pictures of flag while singing the persons name, but definatly no booing unless it happened away from ground.

In my opinion there is an institutional problem with police and particularly riot police.

I have heard some 'banter' that riot police engaged in when they were together and it was vile.

I also remember being herded up after bramall lane 3 years ago and the attitude of the police was disgusting.

and this same contemptable attitude is why we have had past events like the miners strike 28 years ago where hundreds of striking miners have had their skulls battered by the police and more recently politcal protests such G20 and student loans demos where the police are showing complete and utter contempt for one's civil and human rights in this country when it comes to a person going about their lawful business be it peaceful protest or attending sports events.

As someone who nows works in the financial side of the public sector and who has previously completed a tour of NI with riot control training, this is my insight.

The Barriers - these barriers will have cost a fortune and some high up pig will have had to convince a few pig boards that they were required and cost - effective. This pig will now be dying to get get these out at every opportunity to prove their worth. Its like a new toy to them.

Riot police - When you are suited & booted in riot gear, the last thing the teams want in a peacefull event. How ever much they deny it, they want it to kick off. You can see this in their tactics. Watch the Utubes of Palace, a few Palace fans amble on to the pitch, through the police lines, the police could have nipped this in the bud easily, in my opinion they deliberately don't which gives the green light to Palace and more come on. The pigs knew the weds fans would respond and hey presto they've got there bit of fun.

I remember when we played Leeds a few years ago, a few of us walked out of the north & one heavily pissed up Leeds fans came over shoving into us looking for aggro. Any one of us could have dropped him in an instant, but there were about 50 riot cops and cameras fully looking on. So we looked at them & pointed at this bloke as if to say 'are you gonna sort this tail out'. The pigs just stood there, they had no interest in doing this, they wanted it to develop in to a larger scale incident. This is unfortunately the culture.

As someone who nows works in the financial side of the public sector and who has previously completed a tour of NI with riot control training, this is my insight.

The Barriers - these barriers will have cost a fortune and some high up pig will have had to convince a few pig boards that they were required and cost - effective. This pig will now be dying to get get these out at every opportunity to prove their worth. Its like a new toy to them.

Riot police - When you are suited & booted in riot gear, the last thing the teams want in a peacefull event. How ever much they deny it, they want it to kick off. You can see this in their tactics. Watch the Utubes of Palace, a few Palace fans amble on to the pitch, through the police lines, the police could have nipped this in the bud easily, in my opinion they deliberately don't which gives the green light to Palace and more come on. The pigs knew the weds fans would respond and hey presto they've got there bit of fun.

I remember when we played Leeds a few years ago, a few of us walked out of the north & one heavily pissed up Leeds fans came over shoving into us looking for aggro. Any one of us could have dropped him in an instant, but there were about 50 riot cops and cameras fully looking on. So we looked at them & pointed at this bloke as if to say 'are you gonna sort this tail out'. The pigs just stood there, they had no interest in doing this, they wanted it to develop in to a larger scale incident. This is unfortunately the culture.

this is totally spot on and your first point about barriers is one i wanted to make as well but shied away from.

suffice to say, this will probably not be the last we see of this idiotic directive.

I dont' want this to turn into an anti-police thread

Let's maintain some focus here on the barriers and the post match issues

Problem is any 'decent' policing gets forgotten. Sadly you can't criticise the barriers without recognising that there is a fundamental problem with how SYP and other Police Forces regard most football matches and fans as potential offenders or opportunities to put 'riot/crowd control' training into practice.

Treat the majority of people/football fans like criminals and those intent on trouble will take the opportunity to start it...

Guest intercity0wl

Paul walker asking for info regarding aftermatch events on Twitter, might be a way of getting the Media involved in getting some answers to the need for the barriers.

WalkerpwPaul Walker

Hearing about problems after the Wednesday game today. Can anyone shed any light on what happened?

Edited by intercity0wl

And that's why the police have such a difficult job, dealing with utter fools like you.

To add some balance, if it had kicked off outside lepping lane (with no barriers), we may have been slating the police for not using the barriers when a large following of notorious fans were visiting.

I think it's a problem in general. Police too often take the heavy handed approach with football supporters. I'm sure they get some satisfaction from it as well, it appears they treat every single football fan as a football hooligan. On my journeys to Yorkshire, I've often found the Police to be rather brutal. Do you share the same police forces in Doncaster and Hull? I presume not, both both of these places saw us on the back hand of heavy policing for what was pure banter. At Doncaster (we got promoted) several fans ran onto the pitch, however, the reaction of the police was unbelievable. They literally sprinted just to wack a few Albion fans with their batons. One fan who jumped on the floor in celebration then had six coppers come around and pick him up with one hitting him with a baton.

West Midlands Police have the same problem too. They just can't wait to get into the action, football supporters have banter, but the real trouble comes from the Police who appear to quick to have a go with the fans. Cardiff City had their fans banned at the Molineux for crowd trouble, and as a result have had their allocation at our place deducted on recent visits. Even when we play the Wolves, where trouble isn't as strong as what it used to be, the Police appear very heavy handed.

At our ground, those of you which have been will know what I am refering to. We have a fencing system which marches the away fans to the coaches. It happens to work and it has saw a decline in trouble at our ground on matchdays. The only problems we have is when our club continuously sells home seats to away fans who are looking for aggro.

I feel for the Police who have to deal with the real idiots, but I do feel some of the time that they bring the hassle on themselves.

Yeah, but surely there'd have been some massive barriers outside for them to utilise to stop any trouble. I also assume that there was a huge no mans land between the 2 sets of fans inside the stadium, like we have to have and like was seen at the lane. And rows of seats not used.

went to man city Vs. newcastle and they had the same barriers to keep fans apart. lead all away fans straight to a fenced car park with waiting coaches which seemed to help alot as there had been trouble inside the ground.