Alfreton Town v Sheffield Wednesday XI

Guest Saturday Owl

Talk about over reaction.

A load of young inexperienced lads associated with a league one side, the majority of which will never play pro football, get hammered by some older, more experienced, decent non-league players.

Its not like we invest millions of pounds in our youth team is it?

Most of the lads in our youth ,or any other L1 sides youth, will be lucky to be playing at Alfreton Town's level in a few years, most will be turning out in local sat / sun leagues.

Who cares.

Edited by ka58

Talk about over reaction.

A load of young inexperienced lads associated with a league one side, the majority of which will never play pro football, get hammered by some older, more experienced, decent non-league players.

Its not like we invest millions of pounds in our youth team is it?

Most of the lads in ours,or any other L1 side, will be lucky to be playing at Alfreton Town's level in a few years, most will be turning out in local sat / sun leagues.

Who cares.

I agree with that to a point, but 14-0 is bonkers considering all these lads do all day, most days, is play football and be 'coached' in an attempt to improve. Even the most basic of football brain, with a degree of ability could kill it off at say 5-0, and park the bus in order to avoid severe embarresment.

I agree with that to a point, but 14-0 is bonkers considering all these lads do all day, most days, is play football and be 'coached' in an attempt to improve. Even the most basic of football brain, with a degree of ability could kill it off at say 5-0, and park the bus in order to avoid severe embarresment.

Yeah maybe, but still, calls for sackings and overhauls of the youth system etc are just daft. The result is bizarre at 14-nil, but mis-matches between sides of different standards and ages etc will always get bizarre scores.

What happened today happens at amateur level all the time, and this is in essence was an amateur match.It's just that the players of one of the sides are attached to a league 1 team for a probably brief amount of time.

Yeah maybe, but still, calls for sackings and overhauls of the youth system etc are just daft. The result is bizarre at 14-nil, but mis-matches between sides of different standards and ages etc will always get bizarre scores.

What happened today happens at amateur level all the time, and this is in essence was an amateur match.It's just that the players of one of the sides are attached to a league 1 team for a probably brief amount of time.

Wow. So you think it's acceptable that a youth set up of academy status, fields a side of players hoping to earn professional contracts in the next 12-24 months gets turned over 14-0 by part time footballers?

The same academy setup that fails year in year out to produce anything other than average eft sided centre halves?

The same set up that recently went a season without winning?

You're right- no need to change a thing.

Guest thetruthisoutthere

First of all, there are absolutely no excuses for Sheffield Wednesday U18's being 0-14 by ANYBODY including Barcelona. And make no mistake, it's our strongest academy team. Cuff, Tumilty, Modest and Nyoni have all been around the first team set-up. Regardless of other factors, the players need to have a long, hard look at themselves, this level of performance is simply unacceptable.

Onto McAuley. I have never been a fan, and can remember quite a few of our fans saying he should have been the first team manager following Laws' tenure - laughable. Having seen his style of management compared to other academy managers from other clubs, I've been of the opinion for a long time that he shouldn't be anywhere near our club, he is completely counter-productive and is often vicious with his criticism. Again, I am not excusing the players, but it's no wonder their confidence is shot to pieces with McAuley in charge. I've personally seen him scream vitriol at players for misplacing passes, threaten to substitute a defender for clearing his lines and literally turn his back on the players during the last game of last season, preferring to watch the U16's instead.

His methods of developing players includes fielding youngsters out of position for months on end just to 'beef them up', and his recruitment process this summer consisted of giving up on local lads and journeying to Durham and London, where he apparently signed up four black lads after watching them play on public parks.

Of course there are different managerial styles, but he comes across as a bully to me, and he should have been sacked long, long ago, and Lee Strafford has a lot to answer for for offering him a five year contract, unheard of in youth football.

And while both the players and McAuley need to take large chunks of blame for their part in this disaster, you really have to question the wisdom of fielding kids against a senior professional football club. The academy has a long standing annual match with Dinnington Town seniors, who always provide a tough game and often beat the youngsters. For them to be asked to step up and play a side five divisions above Dinnington is not on.

Pro's that didn't play yesterday should have played today - where were O'Donnell, Beevers, Jones etc...? If they couldn't play, the fixture should have been postponed, the gulf in quality was simply too much and would help neither team in their preparation for the new season.

Alan Irvine was the man who started the trend of fielding the youngsters, a trend which was continued under gary megson, neither seemingly having any regard for the confidence of the kids who repeatedly took batterings on the pitch.

Thankfully the reserve set-up has been scrapped this year so the lads will only have to focus on playing academy football, which is tough enough for them as it is, but Milan Mandaric still needs to be asking questions as to why this fixture and result was ever allowed to happen, and why we are so lacking in strength in depth.

I have not read the rest of the thread so apologies if someone else has taken up this point,

however I must comment that where the foooook do you get this assumption that it is a well known fact about Irvine started fielding youngsters ??????????????

As far as I can recall he was lambasted for not fielding them enough

Every other week Irvine was slated for not giving the kids a chance, the fact that you can now kick his ass for the very thing that he did not do just shows you up as being a total tail !

There is no excuse Irvine failed but that is no excuse for any of us to invent stories and pretend he was worse than he actually was

I have not read the rest of the thread so apologies if someone else has taken up this point,

however I must comment that where the foooook do you get this assumption that it is a well known fact about Irvine started fielding youngsters ??????????????

Every other week Irvine was slated for not giving the kids a chance, the fact that you can now kick his ass for the very thing that he did not do just shows you up as being a total tail !

There is no excuse Irvine failed but that is no excuse for any of us to invent stories and pretend he was worse than he actually was

I think he meant only fielding teams of youngsters in reserve games and the smaller friendlies, rather than giving the fringe first teamers a run-out.

I think you need to read Kivo's post again.

He was referring to Irvine playing youngsters in all the games other than first team games - i.e. allowing senior players to get out of playing reserve games.

I think you have misunderstood his point. Players coming back from injury or not getting a game in the first team should have to play with the youngsters in applicable games. They could then get match fit and get game time and help to bring the youngsters on.

Irvine stopped doing this.

Why are Kivo's comments an 'invention'?

Edited by ReadingOwl

Guest Saturday Owl

If anyone thinks that a 14-0 defeat is acceptable they need their heads checking, academy lads or not they shouldn't be hammered by a Sunday League scoreline.

Need a complete overhaul, sack Mcauley and pay a little bit of money for a decent academy coach.

Look around the Sunday League's and offer a trial to a few who seem to have some potential. Can't be much worse than the poo poo we have now.

In McAuley's defence, the Academy has had the same problems with lack of funding and scouting network as the rest of the club. It'll take years for improvements to filter through the system, if the new regime have even had time to look at it yet. He might not be the man to take us forward, I don't know, but he doesn't deserve all the blame for the current Academy being poo .

It's a cruel way of doing it, but this game has demonstrated that there's no point wasting any more time and money on the current crop. If that's the best showing they can put up at 17, when exactly are they going to be good enough to step up to the senior team? What miracle do we imagine taking place over the next 1-2 years that'll make them worth a professional contract?

Get shut and focus on the next generation.

If we ever get new facilities, we need new coaching staff for the youth.

Indeed. Also, presumably we are setting up some kind of scouting system to pick out the best youngsters, Megson said when he came that he was astounded there were no scouts at the club.

I wonder how the current crop were actually recruited with no scouts. They must have won a raffle, it obviously wasn't based on their potential as professional footballers.

First of all, there are absolutely no excuses for Sheffield Wednesday U18's being 0-14 by ANYBODY including Barcelona. And make no mistake, it's our strongest academy team. Cuff, Tumilty, Modest and Nyoni have all been around the first team set-up. Regardless of other factors, the players need to have a long, hard look at themselves, this level of performance is simply unacceptable.

Onto McAuley. I have never been a fan, and can remember quite a few of our fans saying he should have been the first team manager following Laws' tenure - laughable. Having seen his style of management compared to other academy managers from other clubs, I've been of the opinion for a long time that he shouldn't be anywhere near our club, he is completely counter-productive and is often vicious with his criticism. Again, I am not excusing the players, but it's no wonder their confidence is shot to pieces with McAuley in charge. I've personally seen him scream vitriol at players for misplacing passes, threaten to substitute a defender for clearing his lines and literally turn his back on the players during the last game of last season, preferring to watch the U16's instead.

His methods of developing players includes fielding youngsters out of position for months on end just to 'beef them up', and his recruitment process this summer consisted of giving up on local lads and journeying to Durham and London, where he apparently signed up four black lads after watching them play on public parks.

Of course there are different managerial styles, but he comes across as a bully to me, and he should have been sacked long, long ago, and Lee Strafford has a lot to answer for for offering him a five year contract, unheard of in youth football.

And while both the players and McAuley need to take large chunks of blame for their part in this disaster, you really have to question the wisdom of fielding kids against a senior professional football club. The academy has a long standing annual match with Dinnington Town seniors, who always provide a tough game and often beat the youngsters. For them to be asked to step up and play a side five divisions above Dinnington is not on.

Pro's that didn't play yesterday should have played today - where were O'Donnell, Beevers, Jones etc...? If they couldn't play, the fixture should have been postponed, the gulf in quality was simply too much and would help neither team in their preparation for the new season.

Alan Irvine was the man who started the trend of fielding the youngsters, a trend which was continued under gary megson, neither seemingly having any regard for the confidence of the kids who repeatedly took batterings on the pitch.

Thankfully the reserve set-up has been scrapped this year so the lads will only have to focus on playing academy football, which is tough enough for them as it is, but Milan Mandaric still needs to be asking questions as to why this fixture and result was ever allowed to happen, and why we are so lacking in strength in depth.

Excellent post Kivo.

This thread/post should be sent to the club.