Alfreton Town v Sheffield Wednesday XI

Guest Saturday Owl

Guest Saturday Owl

Excellent post Kivo.

This thread/post should be sent to the club.

Has anyone actually emailed the club about this shambles? I'm really considering it.

Guest scott_andrew_william

I don't understand why we have kids who we know aren't going to make it playing for us? What's the point, if we know some of them aren't good enough then what are they doing here? It's wasting our time, and theirs. I've not got anything against them (other than losing 14 - 0 ) , but I'm sure most of them don't have enough potential. I think when Mark Beevers, Drew Talbot ect came through, that should have been the yard stick. If the coaches are tails' then people won't want to play for us. If it's at the point where it doesn't look like we're having enough talent coming through, then maybe we should shut it down for the time being.

i don't mind being "got at", i'm not that fragile.

but i think you need to smell the coffee, i'm not reacting to this result alone, i'm talking about how our kids have been getting battered by anyone and everyone for the last couple of years. mcauley has to go, he is a failure.

no sheffield wednesday team should ever be losing 14-0 to alfreton. we have a culture of losing ingrained in the fabric of this club, especially at youth level, it needs to be ripped out and replaced with an academy manager who has a track record of success.

Megson summed it up perfectly on his arrival, things will not fall into place until we have the first team winning on a regular basis. This is what attracts the kids to the club.

If given a sows ear no one can make a silk purse. This, I think, is why McCauley has been given 5 years......Until the first team start to put some respectable results together that make people in the game sit up and take notice McCauley or anyone else for that matter will find progress very difficult.

Many of the kids may not be up to it, I dont know their ages or their physical stature. But if 15 year olds are being asked to play against semi professional mature men, then I sympathise.

The kids can not be booted out there are fixtures to fulfill. Take a break everyone the 14-0 is symptomatic of 15 years of dross upstairs. Leave the kids alone !

Megson summed it up perfectly on his arrival, things will not fall into place until we have the first team winning on a regular basis. This is what attracts the kids to the club.

If given a sows ear no one can make a silk purse. This, I think, is why McCauley has been given 5 years......Until the first team start to put some respectable results together that make people in the game sit up and take notice McCauley or anyone else for that matter will find progress very difficult.

Many of the kids may not be up to it, I dont know their ages or their physical stature. But if 15 year olds are being asked to play against semi professional mature men, then I sympathise.

The kids can not be booted out there are fixtures to fulfill. Take a break everyone the 14-0 is symptomatic of 15 years of dross upstairs. Leave the kids alone !

a fair analysis but lets be honest, its not the kids that are the problem

the academy has turned into a slaughterhouse

if that scoreline doesn't instigate proceedings then we truly are fooked

Guest Saturday Owl

Well if we don't put it on our official website then it never happened.

Maybe we should have showed more respect to a side that is only 2 leagues below us, our shambles of academy were always gonna get shafted.

Bloody hell, it's suicide when you look at it like that. They'd give a fair few League Two teams a run around, never mind our not up to scratch youth set up. Just looking Wikipedia and they romped the Conference North last season, completely agree that we should have shown more respect. Whoever organized this fixture needs to be questioned on why we didn't include the likes of Reynolds, Beevers, Reda, D.Jones, O'Connor, O'Donnell and even could have kept that trialist lad for one more game. None of these players have played much in Pre-season, especially Reynolds so surely it would have been a good idea to stick them in alongside the youth team. Reckon we would have beaten them if this was the case. Also it now says on Wikipedia "During pre season they destroyed a strong Sheffield Wednesday side 14-0." I'll be changing that now....

How any 15 year olds did we have playing?

Guest Saturday Owl

How any 15 year olds did we have playing?

To be honest a lot of 15 year olds wouldn't have lost that game 14-0, could have done with some. :biggrin:

With all due respects you can get scouts out , all it takes is a phonecall to youth developement ,thats how i got the trial for my lad

Bearing in mind it would have been a hell of a lot easier if we still lived in Sheffield , that was down to fifa rulings though not SWFC,

Anyone of the opinion that we didn't show them enough respect?

When I saw the team we put out I was expecting a hat-full but not bloody 14.

8 quid to get in too which was a disgrace for watching an academy team but what I find even more embarrassing is Wednesday removing it from the website as if it never happened.

Bury your heads Wednesday like Ostriches but it won't go away!

Guest Saturday Owl

When I saw the team we put out I was expecting a hat-full but not bloody 14.

8 quid to get in too which was a disgrace for watching an academy team but what I find even more embarrassing is Wednesday removing it from the website as if it never happened.

Bury your heads Wednesday like Ostriches but it won't go away!

Ahaaa this made me laugh. :biggrin:

any reports of Wednesday fans being scum?

Fans throwing seats into their own fans are still scum and also my mate said his sister got hit in the head by a coin at Barnsley too during the game but hey let's brush over that too ay.

I bet Rochdale can't wait for is to visit and start dismanteling their stand again.

Guest Saturday Owl

I bet Rochdale can't wait for is to visit and start dismanteling their stand again.

To be fair, that was the best away day of last season. The atmosphere was flipping brilliant. Rochdale didn't know what'd hit them!

Our team has aspiring league professionals like Modest, Nyoni etc. In fact the whole bunch of them should be knocking on the first team squad's door soon enough so a conference team shouldn't be far above their level by rights.

Bloody hell, it's suicide when you look at it like that. They'd give a fair few League Two teams a run around, never mind our not up to scratch youth set up. Just looking Wikipedia and they romped the Conference North last season, completely agree that we should have shown more respect. Whoever organized this fixture needs to be questioned on why we didn't include the likes of Reynolds, Beevers, Reda, D.Jones, O'Connor, O'Donnell and even could have kept that trialist lad for one more game. None of these players have played much in Pre-season, especially Reynolds so surely it would have been a good idea to stick them in alongside the youth team. Reckon we would have beaten them if this was the case. Also it now says on Wikipedia "During pre season they destroyed a strong Sheffield Wednesday side 14-0." I'll be changing that now....

Spot on.

It is unacceptable to put these lads in a situation where they could be exposed to a drubbing like this. It will have a phycological effect on them. As a junior footballer I was once exposed to a 9-0 humiliation on hackney marshes only two weeks after we won the Sheffield School league. It still haunts me to this day. The highlighted players are the ones that played against Stocksbridge Park Steels in the 2-0 defeat. They made a massive difference on that night. Without them it would have been about 6 - 0.

Before I go to bed can somebody check the odds for SWFC to win the FA Youth Cup 2011/12? Thanks I will check in the morning and go and put some money on it.

Think of a Stephen Hawkins type number that has loads of 000's in it and then ends to the powers of 10. :biggrin:

wasnt be sarcastic (as in owlzats view of scummy wednesdayites)

just genuinely interested in your view on it as someone who knows what they are talking about

I didn't take it in a sracy way cool.gif

I've been around enough youth teams and players though - i was involved with a league 2 club and their youth team won the county cup - which meant they had to beat several highly placed non-league teams on the way - including conference south teams - incdentally a few of those lads are now playing conference and upper non league football - one of them is in the premier league now.

You might expect a full strength conference team to be a handful for an academy team and maybe to win convincingly by a couple or 3 goals - but fourteen?!?!

Something is beyond badly wrong for that to happen - i mean it's way beyond a freak result - as somebody has said i doubt Alfreton would beat their own youth team anything like 14-0.

We've accepted (and some at times have positively embraced) utter tripe from our academy - and to have given SM a 5 year contract was beyond insanity

We are now reaping the "rewards"