Alfreton Town v Sheffield Wednesday XI

Guest Saturday Owl

Just had Shrewsbury fans ripping the wee wee all morning at work, even a thread on their forum.

The thing that gets me is how can even Shrewsbury attract a better standard of academy player? You look at Joe Hart going for a million to City and Everton just signing a young player from their academy for what could go up to a fee of half a million depending on 1st team apps etc.. Then you look at our academy

Edited by Shrewsburyowl

Guest intercity0wl

Just had Shrewsbury fans ripping the wee wee all morning at work, even a thread on their forum.

The thing that gets me is how can even Shrewsbury attract a better standard of academy player? You look at Joe Hart going for a million to City and Everton just signing a young player from their academy for what could go up to a fee of half a million depending on 1st team apps etc.. Then you look at our academy

Maybe the fact that Chester, Hereford, and Wrexham are considered Shrewsbury main rivals means there aint much choice for the aspiring youngsters down in Shropshire at Academy level ?. happy to be put right if this is not the case.

Maybe the fact that Chester, Hereford, and Wrexham are considered Shrewsbury main rivals means there aint much choice for the aspiring youngsters down in Shropshire at Academy level ?. happy to be put right if this is not the case.

Clubs in that ctahcment include but not limited to Man U, City, Liverpool, Everton, Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, WBA

Clubs in that ctahcment include but not limited to Man U, City, Liverpool, Everton, Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, WBA

Correct. I know a few lads that played school boy football in Shrewsbury and have been poached by Man utd/liverpool/Everton etc.

Still Shrewsbury manage to compete and produce Englands number 1 GK through their Academy plus a few others that have been sold either directly or indirectly to Premier league clubs i.e Dave Edwards at Wolves, Mason springthorpe at Everton, Billy jones at WBA.

Why the chuff cant Wednesday?

Edited by Shrewsburyowl

Guest Saturday Owl

SHREWSBURY TOWN! No way should you be having SHREWSBURY TOWN ripping the wee wee out of you......

flipping hell, who the **** are SHREWSBURY TOWN?

Just to make a quick point on SM.

He does have a long contract but it doesn't really mean anything in the context of paying him off - like all the football management staff hired or extended under Strafford he has a break clause in his contract meaning he can be terminated with the payment of between 6 and 9 months salary. We don't need to pay up the whole length of his contract.

Guest gringo69

Anyone know why the time on posts appear to be an hour earlier than posted?

Because Owlstalk sorted time travel.

Guest Saturday Owl

Alfreton chairman Wayne Bradley said the result at the Impact Arena had created great publicity.

"The coverage has gone worldwide and that's got to be good news," he said.

embarrassing

:laugh: Alfreton beat our shitty youth side, most of whom are not capable of playing 8th tier football never mind professional.

It'll be forgotten about in a weeks time after hopefully picking up 3 points against Rochdale.

I also like how any mention of this fixture has been removed from www.swfc.co.uk

The club really don't help themselves at times do they.

Especially as it was all over sky sports and message boards yesterday as it was a SWFC XI which most people included representative 1st team players..............

The club must think were stupid.

i've said it before and i'll say it again mcauley should have been sacked long ago

he's produced crap and will only take players over a certain height, sounds daft but true,

if a young messi came knockin on our door he would be sent packin, "not tall enough won't make the grade"

things have to change.

I also like how any mention of this fixture has been removed from www.swfc.co.uk

The club really don't help themselves at times do they.

Especially as it was all over sky sports and message boards yesterday as it was a SWFC XI which most people included representative 1st team players..............

The club must think were stupid.

I think the least the club can do is put an explanation on the website which should Apologise to both wednesday and Alfreton fans ( After all the alfreton fans had paid to watch their team against a division 3 club not knock the crap out of a set of kids.)

To pretend that this has not happened and is not newsworthy is frankly a joke and a second emabarraassing mistake within 24 hours.

One of the most successful people I know said to me when you make a mistake, face it, apologise for it, deal with it and then move on. Time for Wednesday to take that kind of advice.

I think the least the club can do is put an explanation on the website which should Apologise to both wednesday and Alfreton fans ( After all the alfreton fans had paid to watch their team against a division 3 club not knock the crap out of a set of kids.)

To pretend that this has not happened and is not newsworthy is frankly a joke and a second emabarraassing mistake within 24 hours.

One of the most successful people I know said to me when you make a mistake, face it, apologise for it, deal with it and then move on. Time for Wednesday to take that kind of advice.

Agreed.

This was world-wide news yesterday and it bought great shame on SWFC, yet the Club sweeps it under the carpet as though it never happened.

Time to explain why such a young team went, apologise to the 500+ fans at the game, and offer the Wednesday fans (can't have been that many) a full refund. Then we can move on.

By ignoring yesterday's shocker is just p*ssing me off even more.

To be fair they gave the game absolutely zero coverage beforehand either. Apart from the mention on the fixture list you wouldn't have known there was a match on at all.

The fixtures/results/report (if any) from the game should be moved to the academy section on the website, likewise the Hallam and Sheffield FC games. Probably Stocksbridge too although we managed to rustle up 2 or 3 fringe first teamers for that one.