Adam le fondre

exactly, a football manager eventually will take a gamble on a player they consider good enough.

NOBODY is prepared to do that with ALF as apparently none of them think he is good enough.

Your argument about football finances is flawed, look at all the strikers that have been or will be transferred this Summer.

Fom this logic I assume you'll suddenly change your tune and think he's an excellent signing if we do end up getting him then?

I mean obviosly it'd be hypocritical of you if you didn't, because in that situation a manager (i.e. Megson) would think he's good enough, completely destroying your argument.

The whole idea that a player wouldn't be a good signing because no one else has bought them is messed up to say the least. There could be a million reasons why no one has taken the gamble so far, and "he's not good enough" doesn't have to be one of them. As already mentioned by someone else, who else in League One could both afford to sign him and also need that type of striker? Our fans can barely handle taking a gamble on a player destroying the league below us, yet because no one else has picked him up in the Championship they take that as a bad sign. Who in the Championship can afford to take a £500k gamble on a player from 2 leagues down?

Fom this logic I assume you'll suddenly change your tune and think he's an excellent signing if we do end up getting him then?

I mean obviosly it'd be hypocritical of you if you didn't, because in that situation a manager (i.e. Megson) would think he's good enough, completely destroying your argument.

The whole idea that a player wouldn't be a good signing because no one else has bought them is messed up to say the least. There could be a million reasons why no one has taken the gamble so far, and "he's not good enough" doesn't have to be one of them. As already mentioned by someone else, who else in League One could both afford to sign him and also need that type of striker? Our fans can barely handle taking a gamble on a player destroying the league below us, yet because no one else has picked him up in the Championship they take that as a bad sign. Who in the Championship can afford to take a £500k gamble on a player from 2 leagues down?

Exactly.

If we could get ALF for 500k that would be an absolute steal tbh. How much did we pay for Reynolds/M.Morrison again?

Again, fifty (five-O) goals in 92 league games. Don't really see how you can argue with that. Mellor has not got 50 league goals in his whole career yet (177 games).

Guest BirdonaMaguire

How can 500k be a steal for a League Two striker with just 20 games experience outside that level INSIDE the final year of his contract?

Edit : Slagging Mellors league goals record is laughable, all of his career has been at higher level than the Toytown Hotshot has ever played (barring his 20 games for Stockport)

Edited by BirdonaMaguire

500k is far to much,he is the last year of his contract and Rotherham aren't made of money,if they are stupid enough to wait for someone to stump up 500k they will lose him for feck all at the end of the season.Having said that i would like to see him sign for us but wouldn't pay any more than 250k tops.Lets not forget 500k would sign you Cody McDonald a much better shout imo.

Guest BoomTownOwls

No, I don't think you understood. Maybe they think he is good enough, but they all want confirmation of this by others putting in bids.

Club X are looking at Le Fondre. But Club Y haven't put a bid in for him, so club X decide not to either. Meanwhile, Club Y are looking at Le Fondre, but Club Z don't put a bid in, so they decide it's too big a risk. Club Z are also looking at Le fondre, but they've heard that Club X were interested, but for some reason pulled out of the deal. Club Z's manager decides to pull out too in case there's something that he hasn't noticed about the potential goal-machine that could mean he'd be an awful signing.

Sounds completely ridiculous. Except that it's exactly what you lot are saying we should do.

Also, hasn't someone just made a bid......

:blink:

'Nobody makes bid for Le Fondre due to Algebra F00k up'.

That must be a footballing first.

Guest 03 owl

That tickled me :laugh: .

This afternoon the Rumour was that we have had a bid accepted for Alf and he will become a Weds player in the next 48 hours.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Where on earth has this figure of £500,000 come from?

Nobody will EVER pay £500,000 for Le Fondre because players proven at a higher level are available for far less. Mellor and O'Grady being two examples.

And Yes, I have complete and total faith in Megson and if he bids for him I will trust his judgment.

Strikers are bought left, right and centre every season and yet every season nobody buys Le Fondre. I doubt they will this season either. Somebody will take him for free when he's out of contract.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

Unfotunately, things being as they are, we aint in a position to buy a "wonder striker"........we ought to be able to afford Alfie though.........and I honestly believe he would be great, especially if him and Madine "clicked" and I see no reason why they shouldn't.

Make no mistake here, LeFondre is hot stuff...The Dingles want him, Coventry want him, the lesser Sheffield team want him.........

I hope we get him, it shows a bit of intent and puts the fear factor into our rivals, and that's half the battle in this league...............25,000+ crowds, Madine and Lefondre up front, J.J. on the wing, I'd not fancy it if I were an opposition player.

plus it would upset the Toytowners into the bargain......it's win win!

And if it all goes pear shaped sell him on...........

People saying an expensive gamble are wrong, it's giving us a real shout at actually doing something instead of a repeat of last season............Every signing is a gamble, but the rewards would far exceed half a million quid if it came off.

Bring him on he's just the man we need.

Didn't realise any of those clubs had any cash? Especially Coventry!

Guest wilyfox

please forgive my ignorance; is Adam Le Fondre actually any good? he's a player i'm not very familiar with. his name gets mentioned alot on here (and the BBC's 606 in the past) but i don't know much about him. what type of striker is he? is he a Mellor, Heffernan or...?

Edited by wilyfox

I did say it sounded completely ridiculous. But it's what people on here are saying. (They don't want him so we don't either). What I'm saying is that that argument is stupid because if every club copied the other's actions then no one would ever want le fondre. And everyone would be bidding for exactly the same players all the time....

Please try to understand, rather than being scared off by something that looks remotely like maths...

Nobody will EVER pay £500,000 for Le Fondre because players proven at a higher level are available for far less. Mellor and O'Grady being two examples.

Just an aside.

Andy Carroll was valued on Newcastle's books as a £500,000 pound asset in the fiscal year before they sold him.

Just saying you never know what people are prepared to fork out in this crazy game that's all.

Nobody will EVER pay £500,000 for Le Fondre because players proven to not score that many really at a higher level are available for far less. Mellor and O'Grady being two examples.

And Yes, I have complete and total faith in Megson and if he bids for him I will trust his judgment.

Strikers are bought left, right and centre every season and yet every season nobody buys Le Fondre. I doubt they will this season either. Somebody will take him for free when he's out of contract.

I don't think O'Grady is available for far less than 500k tbh. It doesn't seem that way. Mellor wouldn't be on a free if he wasn't such a greedy git with wages.

WE paid around 500k for Reynolds and M. Morrison didn't we? Leon Clarke- 250k. Ettienne Esajas- 300k? Le Fondre is streets ahead of them in terms of form, consistency over a long period of time and potential.

Neil Mellor got 13 league goals last year. And importantly, he only scored in 9 out of 33 league games. He is bumbling brute of a player with good application but not enough talent for me. He's definitely not good enough for the championship.

Chris O'Grady scored 9 league goals last year. Scoring in 8 out of 46 league games. If he's a striker that's not good enough. If he's a winger, then we shouldn't be comparing him to the other strikers we could bring in.

Adam Le Fondre scored 23 league goals last year. Scoring in 17 games out of 44. The year before he got 27. Scoring in 23 games out of 48. He gets an average of 1 in 2 games. In fact, he almost manages to score every other game.

If Le Fondre gets half as many in League One as he does in League Two, then he will get as many as Mellor or O'Grady. That represents a good gamble for me. Added to that, his resale value if successful would be far higher than Mellor's or O'Grady's.

Edited by robswfc

according to Tony Stewart on RS they have had one bid from Scunny and they are expecting another one shortly. He says that they aren't going to entertain any bid unless it's "north of 500k"

Good luck I hope they get it,someone would have to be fecking stupid to pay that when his contract runs out shortly.