Adam le fondre

Guest BoomTownOwls

Fair point, but it's his first slight blip in a long time and could suggest he is ready to move on.

O'Grady got 1 goal in 24 games from mid-Jan till the end of the season.

Mellor got 7 from mid-Jan till end of season.

Maybe because he's played alongside poo strikers.

Or to put it another way:-

Mellor rarely started from the middle of January until he regained his place for the last 8 matches.

He started all 8 games and scored 6 goals.

Why do Mellor's cup goals not count when most of them were against League One teams or better. Yet Le Fondre's league goals against League Two teams do count?

And why does a player scoring more than one goal in a game go against him? :blink:

In very simple terms last seasons stats were (without discounting parts that don't suit our argument):-

Mellor:- 20 goals from 32 starts (62.5% goal to game ratio)

ALF:- 24 goals from 44 starts (54.5% goal to game ratio)

The best way of doing it is goals to minutes on pitch but I don't have the time to calculate that and based on the above I would expect Mellor to have the best stats anyway.

Conclusion:- Mellor has a better scoring record at a higher standard than Le Fondre at a lower standard.

Because I don't give a flying roger about the cups or the rumbleing paint trophy, and neither does any other team. We need to get out of this league.

It doesn't go against him, but what does go against him is when he fails to score in enough games to be worth a starting place. People underestimate the value of someone scoring in every other game once rather than getting a few doubles and hattricks throughout the season and not scoring in many games. The amount of points it gains the team is MUCH higher.

Why couldn't Mellor score in most of the league games he played for us is the important question.

And if I'm honest, the answer to that, based on a season watching him- is that he's not got much talent whatsoever.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Because I don't give a flying roger about the cups or the rumbleing paint trophy, and neither does any other team. We need to get out of this league.

It doesn't go against him, but what does go against him is when he fails to score in enough games to be worth a starting place. People underestimate the value of someone scoring in every other game once rather than getting a few doubles and hattricks throughout the season and not scoring in many games. The amount of points it gains the team is MUCH higher.

Why couldn't Mellor score in most of the league games he played for us is the important question.

And if I'm honest, the answer to that, based on a season watching him- is that he's not got much talent whatsoever.

Remind me how often you've seen Le Fondre at the same level that Mellor played last season?

Or to put it another way:-

Mellor rarely started from the middle of January until he regained his place for the last 8 matches.

He started all 8 games and scored 6 goals.

Yeah but 6 goals from 8 games is not a consistent goalscoring record over a long time period that can be reasonably extrapolated to next season. He has proved nothing yet except that he wasn't good enough to fire us into the top half of the table over a season.

Guest BoomTownOwls

You might not care about the cups but it still demonstrated his ability to score. They could just as easily come in the league. Or are you suggesting Bristol City weren't trying?

Mellors goal scoring record was excellent last season in a division higher than Le Fondre in a team that finished lower in its division than Rotherham.

You can bluster all you want and try and pick out the stats that suit your argument but they are the facts.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

Remind me how often you've seen Le Fondre at the same level that Mellor played last season?

I obviously haven't. But there are not many strikers with as good a record as he in League Two that cannot cut it at a higher level. Again, he won't be successful at this level until given the chance.

ALF's record at this level is 4 in 20.

I rest my case.

And before anyone says that was in a poo poo team (Stockport) can I remind you that we last season were quite frankly gash! Therefore again Mellor's record at this level is superior.

Edited by Anthndav

Guest BoomTownOwls

Yeah but 6 goals from 8 games is not a consistent goalscoring record over a long time period that can be reasonably extrapolated to next season. He has proved nothing yet except that he wasn't good enough to fire us into the top half of the table over a season.

No it isn't, but 20 goals from 32 starts is.

Furthermore, it is far more accurate than saying he only scored seven goals from mid- January when he didn't play in most of those games.

Le Fondre goes missing for the last 1/4 of the season, you know, the important bit.

As a point though why has ALF never made a successful partnership wherever he's been? He can score 27 goals a season but I'd prefer two strikers getting 35-40 between them

Back on to Le Fondre, I believe that £500k is too much to pay for someone unproven outside of League 2, half it and we could get a fair deal.

If you want to stay on topic how about you develop your last point. Alf has never made a successful partnership? You would rather have two strikers getting 35-40 between them.

There are very few to no successful "partnerships" in football any more. In L1 last year Peterborough could be kinda called a successful partnership on the face of the stats. Although everyone knows it was a one man show built around MS, just they created bags of chances so Boyd got a few. Le Fondre has an insane league scoring record 182 games 106 goals. He is Rotherham's MS. But the question is how does putting all the goals away make him a bad striker? Because there is no strikers beside him scoring lots too? You should tell Van Persie, Ibrahimovic, Drogba, van da Vaart etc that they are failing, I'm sure they will be shocked.

Megson:- Best not. Nobody else has made an offer so my judgment might be wrong, lets leave it.

Is this really what you are saying? :blink:

No, that's what he was accusing you (and others) of saying. Which you were.

Le Fondre goes missing for the last 1/4 of the season, you know, the important bit.

I don't necessarily want to sign ALF, but the arguments against it just get more ridiculous by the minute.

You're suggesting that no matter how good a player is over the course of a season it doesn't matter if he's only great for the first 3/4 and tails off towards the end?

You're also suggesting that somehow the final quarter of a season is more important than the rest for some unexplained reason. Sure, that's when the points you've gained actually start to mean something, but it doesn't matter at which point of the season you win games - they're all worth 3 points.

Is that wasn't enough:

As a point though why has ALF never made a successful partnership wherever he's been? He can score 27 goals a season but I'd prefer two strikers getting 35-40 between them

You're now suggesting that ALF might not be very good on the basis he's never had a decent partner?

...to save me writing that I should have probably just quoted:

You are unclean and simply don't deserve the chance to debate footy. You write with the intelligence of a bucket of hair.

ALF's record at this level is 4 in 20.

I rest my case.

And before anyone says that was in a poo poo team (Stockport) can I remind you that we last season were quite frankly gash! Therefore again Mellor's record at this level is superior.

ALF's record at this level is 18 in 29. Well at soccerbase anyway.

At Stockport he began at 18 and left when he was 21.

During the same time period of Neil Mellor's career he was still stuck in the liverpool youths/reserves without a proper contract.

Onto the money side>

Mellor

Fee- nowt

Wages- 6,000 a week? = 300,000 a season. 2/3 year deal = £600,000 / £900,000

Resale value- £250-500k? If very successful £750,000- £1,000,000

Le Fondre

Fee- £500,000

Wages- 3,000 a week? = 150,000 a season. 3/4 year deal = £450,000 / £600,000

Resale value- £500k- £1,250,000? If very successful could be £2,500,000

I know thats all guesswork, but I reckon we'd be unlikely to make any money on Mellor overall. Whereas we could end up with a tidy profit for Le Fondre.

During the same time period of Neil Mellor's career he was still stuck in the liverpool youths/reserves without a proper contract.

If that's the case I stand corrected. I was just looking at his Stockport record.

His full record for League Games on wiki is 106 goals in 253 apps.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

No it isn't, it's 4 in 20. Stockport were relegated in 2004/05.

If you want to stay on topic how about you develop your last point. Alf has never made a successful partnership? You would rather have two strikers getting 35-40 between them.

There are very few to no successful "partnerships" in football any more. In L1 last year Peterborough could be kinda called a successful partnership on the face of the stats. Although everyone knows it was a one man show built around MS, just they created bags of chances so Boyd got a few. Le Fondre has an insane league scoring record 182 games 106 goals. He is Rotherham's MS. But the question is how does putting all the goals away make him a bad striker? Because there is no strikers beside him scoring lots too? You should tell Van Persie, Ibrahimovic, Drogba, van da Vaart etc that they are failing, I'm sure they will be shocked.

Brighton managed it, with Murray and Barnes.

Southampton managed it, with Barnard and Lambert.

To be fair if you're going to use stats at least apply them fairly, he has 106 in 258 games in the League.

I should expand on what I said, Le Fondre appears to be a selfish striker, maybe too selfish for the team he plays at to be successful, he has yet to fire a side to promotion, he may get 25 goals but at what cost to the overall team? Maybe I'm being over critical and we should snap him and watch him prove us doubters wrong.

PS I never said ALF was bad at football because he never had a decent partnership, I'm inferring he could be a pain in the arse to get on with

Guest BoomTownOwls

No, that's what he was accusing you (and others) of saying. Which you were.

No I wasn't.

There is sticking your head on the block and taking a punt on a player before the competition get in there and then there is ALF.

He isn't a one season wonder. He hasn't just emerged.

He has been a very good League Two striker for 4 seasons now (2 at Rochdale and 2 at Rotherham).

Despite the fact that he has been so consistent for so long and has been on the radar of every manager in England, nobody has taken a punt.

You must see that this is different to your average League 2 player that gets picked up by a club in a higher division? He msut have had literally hundreds of scouts and managers watch him and nobody has taken him.

I enjoyed the goal at 2.35 because the crosser doesn't try to beat the first man knowing Le Fondre will have no problem dispatching the bicycle. Athleticism Mellor could only dream of.
Also at 2.15 he shows the kinda pace everyone has been crying out to see beside Madine. Seems daft there is such a cold reception to him at the price quoted.

That is literally the end of the argument.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No it isn't, because he was 17/18 when he played those games in league one. And it was 7 years ago.

Since then, he's had a phenomenal scoring record in League Two. It is absolutely time someone from League One took a chance on him. WE are ideally placed to do just that. he is available for a lot less than he was several months ago, and he is a striker with a lot more potential than Neil rumbleing Mellor- a guy who supposedly supports us- but still wants a ridiculous wage that no one else is prepared to offer him to be here.

That is the end of the argument.