Adam le fondre

Guest BirdonaMaguire

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No it isn't, because he was 17/18 when he played those games in league one. And it was 7 years ago.

Since then, he's had a phenomenal scoring record in League Two. It is absolutely time someone from League One took a chance on him. WE are ideally placed to do just that. he is available for a lot less than he was several months ago, and he is a striker with a lot more potential than Neil rumbleing Mellor- a guy who supposedly supports us- but still wants a ridiculous wage that no one else is prepared to offer him to be here.

That is the end of the argument.

Where did you dream that tripe up from?

He's a Citeh fan

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No it isn't, because he was 17/18 when he played those games in league one. And it was 7 years ago.

Since then, he's had a phenomenal scoring record in League Two. It is absolutely time someone from League One took a chance on him. WE are ideally placed to do just that. he is available for a lot less than he was several months ago, and he is a striker with a lot more potential than Neil rumbleing Mellor- a guy who supposedly supports us- but still wants a ridiculous wage that no one else is prepared to offer him to be here.

That is the end of the argument.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Onto the money side>

Mellor

Fee- nowt

Wages- 6,000 a week? = 300,000 a season. 2/3 year deal = £600,000 / £900,000

Resale value- £250-500k? If very successful £750,000- £1,000,000

Le Fondre

Fee- £500,000

Wages- 3,000 a week? = 150,000 a season. 3/4 year deal = £450,000 / £600,000

Resale value- £500k- £1,250,000? If very successful could be £2,500,000

I know thats all guesswork, but I reckon we'd be unlikely to make any money on Mellor overall. Whereas we could end up with a tidy profit for Le Fondre.

I think you have just proved our point.

Mellor proven at League One, Le Fondre not proven at League One.

Cost of 3 year deal for Mellor £900,000.

Cost of 3 year deal for Le Fondre £950,000.

This is based on your incredibly optimistic wages of £3,000 per week.

Agent:- You value him at £500,000 yet your only willing to pay him £3,000 per week?

Yeah, that will wash.

Your job is on the line you need to get promoted. Do you go for a player that proved he can score goals at League One level, who proved that he can play and deal with the expectation at Sheffield Wednesday and who contributes more than just goalscoring. Or do you go for a player that is basically untried at this level and contributes little to a teams general play who will cost you more money than the first option?

mellor is much much better then Alf, which is why he was the number one target

and I wouldnt be happy paying anything more then 300k for Alf, he simply isn't worth it

I'd love to see ALF in league one.......with someone else. I'm intrigued to know if he'd make it, but at £500k plus, that isn't going to happen this season. I'd agree £300k is about right for a guy in the last year of his contract, who quite obviously won't be signing another one.

It would be interesting to know if rovrum had received bids before and were holding out for stupid money knowing he was under a decent contract, and if so, how that is likely to change as his contract gets shorter and shorter. I just don't see how they can afford to let him go for free.

No it isn't, it's 4 in 20. Stockport were relegated in 2004/05.

Do you realise he was 18 that season? In his first season of professional football?

Brighton managed it, with Murray and Barnes.

Southampton managed it, with Barnard and Lambert.

Brighton - Murray (22) and Barnes (18) - 40 total

Southampton -Lambert (21) and Barnard (14) - 35 total

Rotherham United - Le Fondre ( 23) and Taylor (11) - 34 total

Well that's great to hear it from you, if Southampton was deemed a successful partnership, then so was Le Fondre and Taylor. It even appears that le Fondre could be the goalscoring part of a decent partnership which is even better. Glad we got to the bottom of that.

I should expand on what I said, Le Fondre appears to be a selfish striker, maybe too selfish for the team he plays at to be successful, he has yet to fire a side to promotion, he may get 25 goals but at what cost to the overall team? Maybe I'm being over critical and we should snap him and watch him prove us doubters wrong.

Most outright goal scorers are selfish. Its what sets them apart from the others. They back themselves to score more often than anyone else, and the good ones score more often than not.

Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Defoe, Van Persie, van da Vaart, Yakubu all these kinda lead the line type strikers all take more shots than anyone else and its a good thing.

No I wasn't.

There is sticking your head on the block and taking a punt on a player before the competition get in there and then there is ALF.

He isn't a one season wonder. He hasn't just emerged.

He has been a very good League Two striker for 4 seasons now (2 at Rochdale and 2 at Rotherham).

Despite the fact that he has been so consistent for so long and has been on the radar of every manager in England, nobody has taken a punt.

You must see that this is different to your average League 2 player that gets picked up by a club in a higher division? He msut have had literally hundreds of scouts and managers watch him and nobody has taken him.

Thanks for saving me the time of finding a quote by repeating the exact thing you're denying you ever said in the very same post you denied it in.

See bold.

To make it clearer for you, you're suggesting that personally (i.e. in your opinion) you can use the evidence that no other manager has took a gamble on him to add weight to your own opinion that he's not worth gambling on. That's just not a very good argument at all, so it surprises me how many times its been repeated in this thread and by so many different people.

To be honest, it seems like the main argument against signing him from pretty much everyone. I'm yet to see a logical explanation as to why it's unlikely that he'd be a good signing for us.

Personally, I don't know enough to make a judgement, as with 99% of everyone else here most likely. So I'm just waiting on Megson, if he decides ALF is good enough for us then that's good enough for me.

Erm, we need 2 strikers.

Would people be happy if we got Mellor & Le Fondre?

4 Strikers

Mellor, Madine, Le Fondre and Almond.

If we didn't achieve promotion with that I would be massively surprised. Sadly I don't think anyone will take Clinton off our hands at this stage.

To make it clearer for you, you're suggesting that personally (i.e. in your opinion) you can use the evidence that no other manager has took a gamble on him to add weight to your own opinion that he's not worth gambling on. That's just not a very good argument at all, so it surprises me how many times its been repeated in this thread and by so many different people.

You have to remember your average fan actually hasn't a clue. The amount of time I here billy no brains regurgitating some nonsense he heard from someone down the pub. Passed on opinions started at times by the stupidest of people.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

4 Strikers

Mellor, Madine, Le Fondre and Almond.

If we didn't achieve promotion with that I would be massively surprised. Sadly I don't think anyone will take Clinton off our hands at this stage.

Who's Almond?

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Do you realise he was 18 that season? In his first season of professional football?

I realise he was only 18 but that wasn't the point was it, how many did Talbot get at the same age, we are dealing with facts

Brighton - Murray (22) and Barnes (18) - 40 total

Southampton -Lambert (21) and Barnard (14) - 35 total

Rotherham United - Le Fondre ( 23) and Taylor (11) - 34 total

Well that's great to hear it from you, if Southampton was deemed a successful partnership, then so was Le Fondre and Taylor. It even appears that le Fondre could be the goalscoring part of a decent partnership which is even better. Glad we got to the bottom of that.

Which sides got promoted? Did ALF fire Rotherham up

Most outright goal scorers are selfish. Its what sets them apart from the others. They back themselves to score more often than anyone else, and the good ones score more often than not.

Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Defoe, Van Persie, van da Vaart, Yakubu all these kinda lead the line type strikers all take more shots than anyone else and its a good thing.

Are you really comparing a Rotherham striker to some of the most deadly strikers in World football at their peak?

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Lets be right IF he signs all of us are offering arguments against his signature would back him because he's our player, and I'd hope he'd prove myself and others wrong by notching 30 goals as we gain promotion.

Partnering Steve Howard

Thanks for saving me the time of finding a quote by repeating the exact thing you're denying you ever said in the very same post you denied it in.

See bold.

To be honest, it seems like the main argument against signing him from pretty much everyone. I'm yet to see a logical explanation as to why it's unlikely that he'd be a good signing for us.

Personally, I don't know enough to make a judgement, as with 99% of everyone else here most likely. So I'm just waiting on Megson, if he decides ALF is good enough for us then that's good enough for me.

4 Goals in 20 games last time at this level (Albeit he was 18/19).

£500k is far far far too much for a striker from League 2 in the last year of his contract, especially when we could get Mellor for a lot cheaper.

Also if he was as good as some people are making out then he would be in the Championship by now.

If we were to get him for say £150k then I wouldn't have a problem with that but I don't want us to pay over the odds for a player that isn't proven in this league.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

You have to remember your average fan actually hasn't a clue. The amount of time I here billy no brains regurgitating some nonsense he heard from someone down the pub. Passed on opinions started at times by the stupidest of people.

And you pull other people up on their intelligence?

4 Goals in 20 games last time at this level (Albeit he was 18/19).

Seeing as Drew Talbot was brought up a minute ago, he got 4 in 29 for us at that age in this division. He hasn't made anywhere near the same impression on League Two as ALF though.

No it isn't, it's 4 in 20. Stockport were relegated in 2004/05.

Brighton managed it, with Murray and Barnes.

Southampton managed it, with Barnard and Lambert.

To be fair if you're going to use stats at least apply them fairly, he has 106 in 258 games in the League.

I should expand on what I said, Le Fondre appears to be a selfish striker, maybe too selfish for the team he plays at to be successful, he has yet to fire a side to promotion, he may get 25 goals but at what cost to the overall team? Maybe I'm being over critical and we should snap him and watch him prove us doubters wrong.

PS I never said ALF was bad at football because he never had a decent partnership, I'm inferring he could be a pain in the arse to get on with

i havent seen much of le Fondre, but i get your point.

Le Fondre may be able to net 20 goals at this level, but will that be at the detriment of our other strikers? We need players who can play to a style and play together, and that for me is where Mellor has the advantage - a striker who we already know can partner madine, fits in with Megson and also scores at this level.

He may be on higher wages but for the simple fact he can drop straight into the team, he would be my choice right now.