Adam le fondre

Guest BirdonaMaguire

i havent seen much of le Fondre, but i get your point.

Le Fondre may be able to net 20 goals at this level, but will that be at the detriment of our other strikers? We need players who can play to a style and play together, and that for me is where Mellor has the advantage - a striker who we already know can partner madine, fits in with Megson and also scores at this level.

He may be on higher wages but for the simple fact he can drop straight into the team, he would be my choice right now.

Thanks, I worded my posts wrong earlier, glad someone picked up on my convoluted point.

Edited by BirdonaMaguire

Guest BoomTownOwls

Thanks for saving me the time of finding a quote by repeating the exact thing you're denying you ever said in the very same post you denied it in.

See bold.

To make it clearer for you, you're suggesting that personally (i.e. in your opinion) you can use the evidence that no other manager has took a gamble on him to add weight to your own opinion that he's not worth gambling on. That's just not a very good argument at all, so it surprises me how many times its been repeated in this thread and by so many different people.

To be honest, it seems like the main argument against signing him from pretty much everyone. I'm yet to see a logical explanation as to why it's unlikely that he'd be a good signing for us.

Personally, I don't know enough to make a judgement, as with 99% of everyone else here most likely. So I'm just waiting on Megson, if he decides ALF is good enough for us then that's good enough for me.

You are completely missing my point.

I am only an accountant and therefore I do not have the ability to take a gamble on any player. Furthermore, I do not have scouts at my disposal and I do not have the inclination to make personal scouting trips to watch ALF.

Some people are suggesting that he would be a good buy for £500,000. All I am doing is assessing whether or not that is the case from the information in front of me. A large part of that information is that scouts and managers with more expertise than me have been watching him for four years yet nobody has made a concerted attempt to get him.

He has been at the top of the League Two scorers charts for four years. Every manager in England is well aware of him. Every scout in England is well aware of him. Nobody else has been so regularly at the top of the scoring charts and yet he still hasn't had an offer.

In the time that ALF has been regularly scoring in League Two, the following players also scored goals at that level:-

Reuben Reid

Grant Holt

Brad Pitman

Chris Dagnall

Paul Benson

Simeon Jackson

Jamie Ward

Liam Dickinson

Jermaine Easter

Glenn Murray

Clive Platt

All of the above received offers from a club in a higher division. All of the above were scoring goals at that level for far less than four years. Most of them for only one or two seasons.

Yet all of the professional football people decided that they were worth a punt and Le Fondre wasn't.

Now when analysing whether or not he would be a good buy for £500,000, as somebody without dozens of scout reports at my disposal, it seems sensible to say why has nobody else bought him in FOUR YEARS?

Megson is lucky enough to have his own scouts and he will make his mind up.

However, as somebody who does not have his own scouts and only gets to watch him on Sky Sports (when he is always pants), the fact that hundreds of scouts have watched him yet he is still playing in League Two must be a concern. Isn't it?

Surely you understand that point.

It is completely different scenario to a player who has burst onto the scene in the last 12 months or so. i.e. You couldn't make the same arguments against McDonald or the lad at Crewe who's name escapes me.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

And you pull other people up on their intelligence?

Naa I normally tell them to take the time to formulate their own opinions. However yours are so daft I think you should try soak up someone else's.So at this stage you admit that le Fondre was the goalscoring part of a decent partnership. Your problem is now that they weren't promoted? When your strikers deliver you 35 goals in a season its safe to say they weren't the reason the team didn't get promoted.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Gonna cost 500k minimum

Gids1980 Andy Giddings

Tony Stewart told RS that Sflaphorpe are to make a second bid for ALF, but that he won't accept less than 500k.

See that could be a good move for him, Scunny seem to have an very enviable record of picking up strikers who they sell on for a big profit.

There are an awful lot of penalties in that ALF video (not a bad thing by the way), I was just wondering if he wins many of them himself? He looks much pacier and has quicker feet than I imagined.

It's only a YouTube highlights reel, but he looks the sort of player we all hoped to be getting when we signed Jeffers. From the impression I got on that video he could be our new MacLean for this division, but better.

Le Fondre looks like a good little poacher BUT is he gonna fit out style of play?

I don't think we are going to be playing the exact same way all games next year, and given the manger is interested in him he obviously has answered this question already. He wouldn't be chasing him unless he had an idea of how to integrate him.

Guest BoomTownOwls

I don't think we are going to be playing the exact same way all games next year, and given the manger is interested in him he obviously has answered this question already. He wouldn't be chasing him unless he had an idea of how to integrate him.

How on earth do you know that?

id suggest the main reason Le Fondre hasnt moved up the leagues is probably down to him. Maybe his wage demands are excessive, or he prefers to remain a big fish in a little pond. i dont know, but for someone of his goalscoring record im surprised he hasnt been moved up.

Earnshaw and Nugent are two other goalscorers who seem to forever be on the move or failing to get a move upwards. maybe their attitudes are just too much for managers to deal with and they end up with teams who are desperate enough to put up with it.

Either way, if we pay £500k for Le Fondre i highly doubt we will be getting that back, unless he bangs in 25 goals in the championship - and nothing convinces me thats a certainty either.

You can understand why Mandaric is reluctant to splash out the money for players like this really.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Naa I normally tell them to take the time to formulate their own opinions. However yours are so daft I think you should try soak up someone else's.So at this stage you admit that le Fondre was the goalscoring part of a decent partnership. Your problem is now that they weren't promoted? When your strikers deliver you 35 goals in a season its safe to say they weren't the reason the team didn't get promoted.

I'd rather be original.

I never said the Rotherham partnership was good either, from local press they chopped and changed a lot, and if you read the Millers forum they are still, 2 seasons down the line still looking for the perfect foil for ALF.

There are an awful lot of penalties in that ALF video (not a bad thing by the way), I was just wondering if he wins many of them himself? He looks much pacier and has quicker feet than I imagined.

It's only a YouTube highlights reel, but he looks the sort of player we all hoped to be getting when we signed Jeffers. From the impression I got on that video he could be our new MacLean for this division, but better.

Looks a bit like a L1 Bellamy to me an off the shoulder in behind kinda striker. Similar to Amond but has a bit more of a proven track record. His heading and athleticism are what impressed me, for a small guy he doesn't half know how to finish off the ground.

I'd rather be original.

I never said the Rotherham partnership was good either, from local press they chopped and changed a lot, and if you read the Millers forum they are still, 2 seasons down the line still looking for the perfect foil for ALF.

whatever rovrum are doing it works for ALF, as hes scoring goals. But not for the team obviously. if he was brought to wednesday he would be asked to do a lot more than simply stick the ball in the net, whether he would be up to or capable of doing that is another question.

how many goals did they score last season? (its an honest question, i genuinely dont know).

You are completely missing my point.

I am only an accountant and therefore I do not have the ability to take a gamble on any player. Furthermore, I do not have scouts at my disposal and I do not have the inclination to make personal scouting trips to watch ALF.

Some people are suggesting that he would be a good buy for £500,000. All I am doing is assessing whether or not that is the case from the information in front of me. A large part of that information is that scouts and managers with more expertise than me have been watching him for four years yet nobody has made a concerted attempt to get him.

He has been at the top of the League Two scorers charts for four years. Every manager in England is well aware of him. Every scout in England is well aware of him. Nobody else has been so regularly at the top of the scoring charts and yet he still hasn't had an offer.

In the time that ALF has been regularly scoring in League Two, the following players also scored goals at that level:-

Reuben Reid

Grant Holt

Brad Pitman

Chris Dagnall

Paul Benson

Simeon Jackson

Jamie Ward

Liam Dickinson

Jermaine Easter

Glenn Murray

Clive Platt

All of the above received offers from a club in a higher division. All of the above were scoring goals at that level for far less than four years. Most of them for only one or two seasons.

Yet all of the professional football people decided that they were worth a punt and Le Fondre wasn't.

Now when analysing whether or not he would be a good buy for £500,000, as somebody without dozens of scout reports at my disposal, it seems sensible to say why has nobody else bought him in FOUR YEARS?

Megson is lucky enough to have his own scouts and he will make his mind up.

However, as somebody who does not have his own scouts and only gets to watch him on Sky Sports (when he is always pants), the fact that hundreds of scouts have watched him yet he is still playing in League Two must be a concern. Isn't it?

Surely you understand that point.

It is completely different scenario to a player who has burst onto the scene in the last 12 months or so. i.e. You couldn't make the same arguments against McDonald or the lad at Crewe who's name escapes me.

Very, very good post.

ALF is a strange one. His goalscoring record is impressive, undeniably so even if it is only at League Two level, but the fact that no club's have as of yet made a serious bid for him is concerning. What is about him, his character or the way he plays that has kept such a prolific scorer in the fourth division for so long?

Would I want us to sign him? I don't know. Part of me still thinks it would be a worthwhile gamble. Despite his scoring record there are still question marks over ALF, but as a player you don't get to answer those sort of questions unless you're given the opportunity. If we were to turn down the opportunity to sign ALF now, would a League One rival (potentially Sflaphorpe?) steal in ahead of us and get the best out of him?

Would he be worth 15 goals a season at this level? I think if the answer to that question is yes then right now we'd have to consider that a worthwhile gamble. We've spent all summer courting a player who scored less than that in the league for us last season and I think it's pretty common opinion that we probably won't need to score as many as we did last year to get out of this league given how much we've strengthened at the back.

whatever rovrum are doing it works for ALF, as hes scoring goals. But not for the team obviously. if he was brought to wednesday he would be asked to do a lot more than simply stick the ball in the net, whether he would be up to or capable of doing that is another question.

how many goals did they score last season? (its an honest question, i genuinely dont know).

Edit: Thought you said How many did he get :biggrin:

Edited by EcclesallOwl

This is quite the funniest thread I have ever read on here.

Mellor - got 20 goals (OK 7 in the Cups) last season, returns to Preston, who now find themselves in this league, and people think they're going to happily release him?? He got a full seasons practice and can give his gaffer a run down on all but eight clubs in this division including Wednesday. He's priceless to Preston.

Adam Le Fondre.

Does anyone really think that the be all and end all is what a player does on the pitch??

He's a nutter. That's why he hasn't been picked up. A loose cannon.

Plus he'd get battered by the defenders in this division and he knows it.

Wither Jason Koumas?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THE MAN SCORES GOALS !

We need an out and out goalscorer , are we going to be outdone by Scunny, methinks they allways seem to turn up good goalscorer's ,if no team took a risk on players , there would soon be no teams worth watching ,wev'e done the tried and tested bit can we say we are reaping the rewards ,can we gonads We are still in division 1 ,why not risk a little it may provide a lot at the end of the day ,

Edited by trevdi9