Adam le fondre

I don't think O'Grady is available for far less than 500k tbh. It doesn't seem that way. Mellor wouldn't be on a free if he wasn't such a greedy git with wages.

WE paid around 500k for Reynolds and M. Morrison didn't we? Leon Clarke- 250k. Ettienne Esajas- 300k? Le Fondre is streets ahead of them in terms of form, consistency over a long period of time and potential.

Neil Mellor got 13 league goals last year. And importantly, he only scored in 9 out of 33 league games. He is bumbling brute of a player with good application but not enough talent for me. He's definitely not good enough for the championship.

Chris O'Grady scored 9 league goals last year. Scoring in 8 out of 46 league games. If he's a striker that's not good enough. If he's a winger, then we shouldn't be comparing him to the other strikers we could bring in.

Adam Le Fondre scored 23 league goals last year. Scoring in 17 games out of 44. The year before he got 27. Scoring in 23 games out of 48. He gets an average of 1 in 2 games. In fact, he almost manages to score every other game.

If Le Fondre gets half as many in League One as he does in League Two, then he will get as many as Mellor or O'Grady. That represents a good gamble for me. Added to that, his resale value if successful would be far higher than Mellor's or O'Grady's.

That is a very logical, well thought out argument using statistical information.

Now p1ss off.

megson.gif

Good points made there.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

I don't think O'Grady is available for far less than 500k tbh. It doesn't seem that way. Mellor wouldn't be on a free if he wasn't such a greedy git with wages.

WE paid around 500k for Reynolds and M. Morrison didn't we? Leon Clarke- 250k. Ettienne Esajas- 300k? Le Fondre is streets ahead of them in terms of form, consistency over a long period of time and potential.

Neil Mellor got 13 league goals last year. And importantly, he only scored in 9 out of 33 league games. He is bumbling brute of a player with good application but not enough talent for me. He's definitely not good enough for the championship.

Chris O'Grady scored 9 league goals last year. Scoring in 8 out of 46 league games. If he's a striker that's not good enough. If he's a winger, then we shouldn't be comparing him to the other strikers we could bring in.

Adam Le Fondre scored 23 league goals last year. Scoring in 17 games out of 44. The year before he got 27. Scoring in 23 games out of 48. He gets an average of 1 in 2 games. In fact, he almost manages to score every other game.

If Le Fondre gets half as many in League One as he does in League Two, then he will get as many as Mellor or O'Grady. That represents a good gamble for me. Added to that, his resale value if successful would be far higher than Mellor's or O'Grady's.

Le Fondre goes missing for the last 1/4 of the season, you know, the important bit.

As a point though why has ALF never made a successful partnership wherever he's been? He can score 27 goals a season but I'd prefer two strikers getting 35-40 between them

Guest BoomTownOwls

I did say it sounded completely ridiculous. But it's what people on here are saying. (They don't want him so we don't either). What I'm saying is that that argument is stupid because if every club copied the other's actions then no one would ever want le fondre. And everyone would be bidding for exactly the same players all the time....

Please try to understand, rather than being scared off by something that looks remotely like maths...

I have tried to understand your algebra and I believe that you are trying to say that other managers are not making an offer because they are put off by other managers not making an offer.

:blink:

Do you really think that is the truth?

Mandaric:- Do you rate him?

Megson:- My scouts have watched him and liked him so I watched him and I also like him.

Mandaric:- Do you want him?

Megson:- Best not. Nobody else has made an offer so my judgment might be wrong, lets leave it.

Is this really what you are saying? :blink:

Le Fondre goes missing for the last 1/4 of the season, you know, the important bit.

As a point though why has ALF never made a successful partnership wherever he's been? He can score 27 goals a season but I'd prefer two strikers getting 35-40 between them

Maybe he would here...on the other hand maybe he won't but I think it is worth the risk.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Get yer wallet out Milan. 500k is a very good price for this lad.

No it isn't - HE IS OUT OF CONTRACT IN 12 MONTHS AND IS UNPROVEN AT THIS LEVEL

I have tried to understand your algebra and I believe that you are trying to say that other managers are not making an offer because they are put off by other managers not making an offer.

:blink:

Do you really think that is the truth?

Mandaric:- Do you rate him?

Megson:- My scouts have watched him and liked him so I watched him and I also like him.

Mandaric:- Do you want him?

Megson:- Best not. Nobody else has made an offer so my judgment might be wrong, lets leave it.

Is this really what you are saying? :blink:

FFS

NO, it's not what I'm saying. There could be lots of reason why clubs haven't been putting in bids. Namely, the price tag, and the fact that ALF is only experienced at L2 level. I would guess the former has put off the L1 clubs, and the latter has put off the Championship clubs.

The reason I made up the 'algebra' thing was that other people are saying that we should be put off because other people haven't made an offer yet. I am saying that's ridiculous.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Why do Mellor's cup goals not count when most of them were against League One teams or better. Yet Le Fondre's league goals against League Two teams do count?

And why does a player scoring more than one goal in a game go against him? :blink:

In very simple terms last seasons stats were (without discounting parts that don't suit our argument):-

Mellor:- 20 goals from 32 starts (62.5% goal to game ratio)

ALF:- 24 goals from 44 starts (54.5% goal to game ratio)

The best way of doing it is goals to minutes on pitch but I don't have the time to calculate that and based on the above I would expect Mellor to have the best stats anyway.

Conclusion:- Mellor has a better scoring record at a higher standard than Le Fondre at a lower standard.

Guest BoomTownOwls

But he's already proven he's not a successful striker in this division.

* Bangs head against a desk then runs head first into a wall.

O'Grady scored exactly the same amount of goals as ALF 2 seasons ago when he played as a striker at League 2 level.

Last season he scored 9 goals whilst playing predominantly on the left wing. In addition, according to the Rochdale fans he was their best player and they finished 10th.

Therefore, O'Grady has proved a success at League One level. :rolleyes:

Why do Mellor's cup goals not count when most of them were against League One teams or better. Yet Le Fondre's league goals against League Two teams do count?

And why does a player scoring more than one goal in a game go against him? :blink:

In very simple terms last seasons stats were (without discounting parts that don't suit our argument):-

Mellor:- 20 goals from 32 starts (62.5% goal to game ratio)ALF:- 24 goals from 44 starts (54.5% goal to game ratio)

The best way of doing it is goals to minutes on pitch but I don't have the time to calculate that and based on the above I would expect Mellor to have the best stats anyway.

Conclusion:- Mellor has a better scoring record at a higher standard than Le Fondre at a lower standard.

Not all of Mellor's goals came from starts though, he scored a few after coming off the bench which distorts those stats.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Not all of Mellor's goals came from starts though, he scored a few after coming off the bench which distorts those stats.

Hence my comment that the best way to calculate it is based on goals to minutes on pitch.

It will work out very similar because yes he did score when he for instance came on for 20 minutes.

However, there were also many games that he started where he was subbed and therefore didn't play the full 90 minutes.

Even if you take those 2 goals off Mellor his ratio is 56.25%, still better than ALF.

Edited by BoomTownOwls

You are unclean and simply don't deserve the chance to debate footy. You write with the intelligence of a bucket of hair.

Fair point, but it's his first slight blip in a long time and could suggest he is ready to move on.

O'Grady got 1 goal in 24 games from mid-Jan till the end of the season.

Mellor got 7 from mid-Jan till end of season.

Maybe because he's played alongside poo strikers.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

You are unclean and simply don't deserve the chance to debate footy. You write with the intelligence of a bucket of hair.

Thanks for that Seamus.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

The proof is in the pudding aye?

Yup. I should have said last quarter of the season, would that have pacified you?

Edit : Back on to Le Fondre, I believe that £500k is too much to pay for someone unproven outside of League 2, half it and we could get a fair deal.

Edited by BirdonaMaguire