Neil Mellor

Guest intercity0wl

Guest thekelch

I can appreciate that, but surely it's better to secure a 2/3 year deal on reduced wages than it is to get 1 year earning more money?

Think about it though if you were Mellor. You are guarneteed to earn £9k per week at Preston for another season, but we will only offer £6k. That means over the course of the next year you'll lose £3k per week, or £150k. When retirement is possibly only 5 - 7 years away I can see why he wouldn't want to do that, when he will almost certainly have to take a pay cut in a year or so any way.

Football is all about money these days and players sign for whoever will give them the best deal, there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with this as long as we're honset about it and the players give the proverbial 110% once they actually sign up.

OK Mellor did good for us last season,fair do's .and i would like him here, but not at the wage he is supposedly after,now who is to say that if signed he would reach that tally again ,he may or may not do,who knows ,but this has gone on long enough ,if as reported he wants to play mercenary let him do it at another clubs expense ,not ours ,bowing down to players demands is what helped put us in the poo poo before did it not,for me we should bite the bullet and move on , PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS AND GET O GRADY IN ,ALSO HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT THAT YOUNGSTER FROM YESTERDAY ,By all account's he did well from what was posted on here

so why not see what he is like when not nervous, He might just be the foil that is needed to work with Madine,got to be worth a shot methinks.

Think about it though if you were Mellor. You are guarneteed to earn £9k per week at Preston for another season, but we will only offer £6k. That means over the course of the next year you'll lose £3k per week, or £150k. When retirement is possibly only 5 - 7 years away I can see why he wouldn't want to do that, when he will almost certainly have to take a pay cut in a year or so any way.

Football is all about money these days and players sign for whoever will give them the best deal, there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with this as long as we're honset about it and the players give the proverbial 110% once they actually sign up.

yep agreed

settle for 100% tho

The frustrating thing now is that we look so close to a side that can challenge for promotion. If we end up not being able to bring in the quality we need to finish things off its going to be a real shame.

This is the thing - we are 60%-70% of the way to a side that would dominate this division. Will be a real missed opportunity if we can't add those extra pieces of the jigsaw.

Guest Sheff Owl

Nobody has said he is on 6k....

That according to a Preston fan is what we have offered him.

So i imagine if he was on 2k he would have snapped our hands off.

I think Mellor is taking one hell of a gamble to be honest, he's not garrunteed to have a fantastic season, Hume will be their best player this season. Mellor did well for us and I'd love to see him back, but If we had a good season and got promotion and Preston didn't, he'd be classed as a L1 striker and wouldn't be able to get the big deal he's looking for. If he came to us on a 2/3 yr deal he could be back in the championship next year, even if Preston got promotion I doubt they'll give him a new deal.

Who? I'm not saying we can't but just interested who.

Not a clue mate off the top of my head. That's what megson and the scouts are paid for

But there must be 100's of neil mellors out there..or is he that different/special? i don't think so

Not a clue mate off the top of my head. That's what megson and the scouts are paid for

But there must be 100's of neil mellors out there..or is he that different/special? i don't think so

Perhaps he isn't that different/special. But we know what he is about, he knows our set up, we know he can get goals and would just slot easily into the side. Finding a new guy could quite easily turn out to be utter dross, with Mellor there is no risk.