Owls boss ponders early exit for O

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

JOEY O’Brien may have played his last game for Sheffield Wednesday.

The midfield player who was signed on loan for the rest of the season could be going back to Bolton early.

Owls manager gary megson has revealed that O’Brien, who has not figured in the last four games, has been out of action with a groin injury.

The problem is not serious. It was career-threatening knee trouble that kept him out for more two years at Bolton before he fought back to full fitness.

Wednesday signed him on loan deadline day in March but he has made only three starts and had two games on the bench. Megson told The Star that the 25-year-old had a scan last week on his groin and was due to take a fitness test on Saturday morning but in any case would not have figured in the match at Bristol Rovers.

The Owls manager said: “It might be better for Joey to return to Bolton, where their season is going to be a bit longer, in terms of his rehabilitation and getting back to playing games and training.”

Wednesday break up after this Saturday’s final match, at home to Exeter, and it seems doubtful that O’Brien will play in that.

Bolton’s season has a further three weeks to run.

O’Brien’s contract at the Reebok Stadium expires in the summer. He was keen to come to Hillsborough to get in some League games and start to put his career back on track, then assess his options after the season’s end.

Wednesday had nothing to lose by giving him a chance, as Bolton agreed to pay his wages during the loan spell.

O’Brien was in the team for the first two games of his stay, then was on the bench twice, and last played in the defeat at Brighton on April 9.

Shame, I hate to see footballers careers go down the pan early. I would be surprised if he makes it back to his best in the future. He seems to be a broken man.

All the best mate.

his contribution with the ball is excellent, however he hasn't got anywhere near match fitness and a groin injury on top will not do him any favours

should we take a punt?

He is better than anyone we have in midfield currently, but as you say he needs to prove that he can be fully fit again....he hasn't been able to play anywhere near his best.

He would be a risk, but maybe a contract that took this into consideration?

I don't think Megson will sign him personally..

It's understandable he's struggled after the last couple of years or so he's had, also no surprise that he's picked up a slight injury after so long out.

I really hope he gets going again in his career and I think he will but I believe we should let him go and leave it at that.

All the very best though Joey!

Yep, didn't seem up to it when he played. Dagenham I believe was his first match for us, and he was just a litlte off the pace. Wasn't bad on the ball, but the problem was that it was all aerial in that which probably didn't help him. Bolton looks to be the highest level that he will ever reach again.

But good luck Joey- I'm sure you would have loved to have succeeded here once again, but it wasn't to be.

his contribution with the ball is excellent, however he hasn't got anywhere near match fitness and a groin injury on top will not do him any favours

should we take a punt?

HELL NO. He was quality 5 years ago, but he's only played about 6 games in 3 years, far too injury prone. Although it would be typical SWFC if we did end up signing yet another crock.

I'd only want him back if he wasn't going to break the bank. Although I think we should be looking elsewhere.

He hasn't played much but it was a pretty low gamble loan move. Shame he's picked up an injury but we are already safe so may as well cut the loan and start prepping for next season.

The longer you spend out injured, the more likely you are to pick up other little problems when you finally get back playing.

Over the years its happened to a number of people, they come back from a long lay off and pick up another knock, which unfortunately seems to be the case with Joey.

Excellent player, but best left to try and re-build his career elsewhere i think, just not what we need at the moment.

Guest AnotherOwl

should we take a punt?

NO. MORE. PUNTS.

to be honest, and no disrespect to JOB, but we have to long beyond sentiment and weepy eyes

he's injury prone and a club like us cannot afford to take a risk on someone who might only play 5 games a season

we need someone who's going to be fit and able to play every week