Paul Ince

Not going to get someone like that in this league! At least ince knows what it takes to manage in this division

He's never had any success in this division!

I just think this would be another let down appointment. We need someone in with experience and a big name to get the excitement back! There would be too many fans disappointed with Ince. I would be! role on this time next year when we are all shouting for his head!!

Ince did well at Macclesfield Town and was an outstanding success at MKD the first time round. He did badly at Blackburn Rovers but wasn't given very long. His second spell at MKD was a decided disappointment. He's only been at Notts County a very few months.

I have followed his managerial career and he wouldn't be my choice to replace Alan Irvine; though ofcourse you could do a lot worse.

For me, SO'D, despite a bad current run at Donny, is THE man to take Sheffield Wednesday back to the top flight.

Edited by ROKERITE

Ince did what was described at the time as a remarkable job at macclesfield then got MK Dons promoted as champions. He took the Blackburn jon which was too much too soon then did Ok back at the Dons. He is now doing fine at Notts and pulling them out of trouble. I think he would do just fine here, maybe not the man to turn things around over night but I'd fancy our chances of a playoff spot and under Ince I'd fancy our chances there too. he'll manage again in the prem one day but probably needs more experience first and should be looking to take it step by step.

I'd welcome him and I think the fact that he is the Guv'nor is a good thing.

Ince did well at Macclesfield Town and was an outstanding success at MKD the first time round. He did badly at Blackburn Rovers but wasn't given very long. His second spell at MKD was a decided disappointment. He's only been at Notts County a very few months.

I have followed his managerial career and he wouldn't be my choice to replace Alan Irvine; though ofcourse you could do a lot worse.

For me, SO'D, irrespective of a bad current run at Donny, is THE man to take Sheffield Wednesday back to the top flight.

I think he'd be a very interesting appointment.

My main concern would be whether he'd get enough time in the job under MM.

Turning us into a side that plays good passing football will certainly not be done over night.

If O'Driscoll was assured that he'd be given the time between now and the end of the season to prepare us for a promotion the season after, then maybe things would work out.

Here's along shot, Paul Scholes. Could be player manager, just what we need in midfield, doesn't live too far away, so we may suit him, will probably have Fergie helping him out with a few decent young loan signings. Played on the biggest stages, so won't be overwhelmed by Hillsborough. May be no good as a manager, that's the risk we would be taking.

It seems other people disagree but I don't think it's such a bad suggestion.

Scholes would add immense quality to the middle of the park (even if he does only play 60 minutes a game at his age), it would raise the profile of the club hugely, there is no doubting the respect he would command from the players, having someone like Scholes around would do wonders for our younger players and would no doubt help them improve their games, Scholes on a personal level will have the opportunity to try his hand at a lower level, and it gets him his first foot in the door for jobs after his playing career has finished.

He's out of contract too and dithering on signing a new one.

It would be a gamble but sometimes these things work. I would be willing to try. Fortune favours the brave.

Edited by edinburghowl

I wouldn't be too dissapointed if we appointed Ince. He would obviously be a bit of a gamble but when we look at the kind of manager we can attract we have to be realistic. I would probably prefer Sheridan though. I don't understand all those who are saying we need a proven manger who can handle a big club. Well great we all want that but I’ve yet to hear a suggestion that fits this bill AND is realistic.

It seems other people disagree but I don't think it's such a bad suggestion.

Scholes would add immense quality to the middle of the park (even if he does only play 60 minutes a game at his age), it would raise the profile of the club hugely, there is no doubting the respect he would command from the players, having someone like Scholes around would do wonders for our younger players and would no doubt help them improve their games, Scholes on a personal level will have the opportunity to try his hand at a lower level, and it gets him his first foot in the door for jobs after his playing career has finished.

He's out of contract too and dithering on signing a new one.

It would be a gamble but sometimes these things work. I would be willing to try. Fortune favours the brave.

I agree.

Gary Neville would also be a good shout but looks destined for a job on the inside at Man U.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head who could come in as a player and manager but there must be someone out there.

We have to realise that managers are the same as players - they want to "play" at the highest level. We are a third division club at the minute and looking unlikely to be a second division club next year, we have to chance it with a young up and coming manager or someone who will forever be toiling in the lower leagues. Once we get promoted, the bigger name managers will become available to us. Even if there was a manager out there, out of work or wanting to move to a club and play the long game (O'Driscoll type), would they do that with us given our previous with managers and out current chairman? I doubt it.

I agree.

Gary Neville would also be a good shout but looks destined for a job on the inside at Man U.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head who could come in as a player and manager but there must be someone out there.

I'm sure they would be appreciative of a club giving them an opportunity and letting them get their badges. We are crying out for quality in the middle of the park as well. :biggrin: Can you imagine Scholes in this league? There's no harm in asking and if he said no then at least we would have tried.

i would be happy if this was true

Blackburn saw enough to take a gamble on him as a Prem club

i suspect those complaining are the same ones that want Martin O Neill or Big Sam???

we need to wake up to the fact there is no way on earth those managers would join a league 1 club

maybe in a few years if we are challenging at the top of the championship, but not now

No thanks, not done enough for me....we need a proven manager who can handle a big club.

Someone who will come in get us playing it on the ground and won't be afraid to drop anyone and play the kids if needed, a 'big' name might be good but I'd take a risk on an up and coming manager. A guy with a lot of enthusiasm, experience in the game through playing.....some one like Sheridan, great career very experienced a firm believer in good football and doing well at Chresterfield after doing well at Oldham.

Now I'm not saying it has to be him, but some one like that would be an ideal signing.

So Ince is too inexperienced, but Sheridan (who has had less time in management, taken fewer jobs and won less promotions) would be ideal. Double standards?

We have to realise that managers are the same as players - they want to "play" at the highest level. We are a third division club at the minute and looking unlikely to be a second division club next year, we have to chance it with a young up and coming manager or someone who will forever be toiling in the lower leagues. Once we get promoted, the bigger name managers will become available to us. Even if there was a manager out there, out of work or wanting to move to a club and play the long game (O'Driscoll type), would they do that with us given our previous with managers and out current chairman? I doubt it.

if the monies right they'll come and the history of previous managers is irrelevant because they always worked with financial constraints .i think its a good job for someone biggish club ,debt free and a chance of promotion in the immediate future ......as for working with mandaric why wouldnt they want to work for him a man whos not afraid to back them financially and got a track record for getting success,

I'm sure they would be appreciative of a club giving them an opportunity and letting them get their badges. We are crying out for quality in the middle of the park as well. :biggrin: Can you imagine Scholes in this league? There's no harm in asking and if he said no then at least we would have tried.

Get on the blower MM.

Having said that, he'd struggle to get a yes or no out of Scholes as he's not the world's biggest conversationalist. :biggrin:

My sister's mate had him in her class through school and he struggled academically but always shone at football.

I think the best chance we have of getting a "big name" manager is to go down the root of offering someone their first chance here.

Otherwise we will end up with someone from this level who is "proven" or maybe someone looking to progress on the back of us.

What I really don't want is one of the Championship/League 1 "carousel" bosses who seem to constantly be sacked and reappear somewhere else. (Dowie, Burley etc.)

MM might be able to persuade someone like Hoddle (but he'd have to leave Spain for Sheffield) but I feel some of the suggestions on here KK, Big Sam and O'Neil etc are just fantasy at the moment.

Back to the OP, Paul Ince has grown on me since I read his name first thing. He was obviously hurt by the Blackburn experience and has something to prove. He is a leader and a winner although I've always found him a bit annoying but he was like that as a player. Top bloke if he's playing for you but winds every other bugger up.

I wouldn't be unhappy with his appointment.