Parkin

Shame, it would have given us the opportunity to employ different tactics to change a game.

We could have unleashed the long-ball game on unsuspecting opponents rather than the sublime one-touch stuff that we are all getting a bit fed-up of, if we are being honest...!

Guest Willy Fitzwinders

Not that random.

The theme is Irvine's apparent mental attitude to the opposition.

Nice insult though. Was it you who was complaining about the personal abuse of Irvine recently?

I think this is the operative word

I think this is the operative word

Of course, that's why I used the word.

I know we can't possibly know what's really going on inside Irvine's head.

But people are always going to pick up on the way he always makes a very strong case for the quality of the opposition while ever we're failing to beat the quality sides. There's always that suspicion that he's imparting the same vibes to the players.

And it's needless too. He could avoid the perception that fans are forming of him by quite simply being more positive about our chances in the interviews.

He doesn't have to disrespect the opposition and say we're going to kick everyone's asses.

Just do what all other managers do when asked about the opposition and say something like:

"Well, they have some decent players that can hurt us if we allow them to, but we also have a lot of quality in the squad too, and I know if the lads go out there and do their jobs then I would expect us to always get a positive result".

He can then go in the changing room and put forward his message to the players in whatever way he wants - and I would certainly like to think that in any case he does more than just fill his players' heads with fear anyway - but, as I say, the suspicion is there.

We're just talking about simple sound bites. But they can really help a manager when the results aren't going your way.

Hmm, having given AI the plaudits for showing no interest in that fat lump of lard, only to find he actually tried to sign him, Irvine OUT

Despite him being a Dingle and the most unorthodox looking footballer I've ever seen, I would have been really happy with him, such an effective player.

Despite him being a Dingle and the most unorthodox looking footballer I've ever seen, I would have been really happy with him, such an effective player.

Totally agree.

poo at holding the ball up for a big fella but a terrific finisher.

I hope we try and get Steve Howard now to be honest. Bit part cameo's in games now for Leicester, with Andy King, Darius Vassell, Martin Waghorn, and Paul Gallagher all being preffered.

Totally agree.

I hope we try and get Steve Howard now to be honest. Bit part cameo's in games now for Leicester, with Andy King, Darius Vassell, Martin Waghorn, and Paul Gallagher all being preffered.

Good shout.

The problem is, it doesn't take us long to run out of ideas and start hoofing it long, imagine the football if we knew we had that option from the off. Its probably a personal thing with this guy, I know he is effective, and in truth better on the deck than you might think, but I can't watch that football. At a time when we are trying to bring football in this country out of the dark ages, playing that way would be a huge setback.

Totally agree.

He signed a new deal in November.