LUKE VARNEY

Guest wilkotheowl

We can offer all we want but if people think players are going to fall head over heels to sign for us because we are Sheffield Wednesday then they'll be in for a shock.

If we want very good championship players chances are so will other teams in this division, who will be prepared to offer better money.

Varney isn't the best player by a long shot but he is ok. If we can find better then by all means go for it, im sure Irvine has an idea of what he needs.

See, i dont buy into this too much. How are teams like Peterborough, Sflaphorpe and Plymouth able to sign premiership players on loan? There are people out there, and they would come to teams like wednesday, but only if they felt they would benefit from it - the cloud of negativity needs to lift a little - wednesday get on a roll and all of a sudden everyone will want to be part of it.

Maybe AI can get something from Varney but his goals record means that he should not be retained unless Wed can get nobody else. This is the time for AI to use his contacts.

What about an Everton reserve or even one from PNE, who are a top half of the table side, unlike Derby? If he's no good to Derby, he cannot be any good for Wed.

Guest wilkotheowl

I think Varney gets a bit of a hard time on here. Granted he's not the best player in the world, but he does offer us something we havent got up front - pace and running the channels. The last couple of games he hasnt played in we have looked far worse. Ideally i'd bring Varney and another striker in.

EXACTLY !!

Varney was the only player still working hard when we were 3 nil down at Leicester. I have lots of respect for him and think he would be a great asset to any squad in the Championship.

He will not solve our goalscoring problems but he will be more effective than FJ9, Sodje or Clarke at this level.

Apologies if this is old news already, but just seen in todays Daily Mirror that Luke Varney is supposed to have been Alan Irvines first signing, on a season long loan from Derby after Nigel Clough agreed to his returning to Hillsborough.

Wrong according to OS.

Thanks for digging back to yesterdays topic and updating it with today's information.

Very welcome.

Maybe that's what I will do dig back to posts in the past and update them with information that's now fact.

Please do so it will be very informative.

On OS now

Owls secure Varney return

Posted on: Thu 21 Jan 2010

Sheffield Wednesday have signed Derby County striker Luke Varney on a loan deal that will see the player available to the Owls for the remainder of the current campaign.

The 27-year-old striker has enjoyed two previous loan spells for Wednesday, scoring six goals in 18 starts.

Varney will bolster the attacking options of Alan Irvine as the new Owls manager seeks to build on an excellent start to his Hillsborough career.

Irvine said: "Luke Varney is a player that I have admired very much since he started his league career at Crewe.

"He has a tremendous work ethic and the right attributes that I seek in a player. Luke has already proved himself a very popular player during his two loan spells so far with Sheffield Wednesday and I am delighted to welcome him back to the club for the rest of the season."

Varney has scored a total of 44 goals in 134 league starts throughout his career after starting at non-league Quorn FC before joining Crewe Alexandra in 2003. He later earned a £2m move to Charlton Athletic before being transferred to Pride Park in November 2008, initially on loan.

He joined Wednesday temporarily in March 2009 and returned to Hillsborough on a similar deal five months later.

Varney should go straight into the squad for the Owls' home encounter with Peterborough United this weekend.The loan agreement prevents the forward from playing against his parent club at Hillsborough on Saturday 20 March.

Hmmmm, Alan obviously sees something in him. We aren't flush with cash at the moment so it must have been the right deal. Personally I wondered if there were better strikers out there available but if AI thinks he's up to it then maybe we'll see what he's made of.

He works hard and if he's here for the rest of the season maybe he'll really fight for a permanent move. Could be the making of him. Or not. Basically, wait and see and hope it works out well.