Was automatic promotion honestly acheivable?

Guest bagelybear

i thought we'd finish 4th. could we have pushed the top two more than we did? of course, but that doesn't mean to say i still think we would of went up.

amother progressive season and now is the time to really make a push for the top two permanently 

We blew it from the start. Recruiting players that were no better or what we needed in both windows. Despite the stupid money spent if Carlos could have he would have played the same team as the play off final. This was both the recruitment and Carlos fault as some of the players McManaman and Abdi should offer more that what we have. But they didn't get a chance as Carlos was negative.

Looking at the Forestieri situation after the season has finished and the dust is settling I think this was an absolute disgrace, even more so than at the time. Even worse that he tried to get out of the Villa game until he was persuaded not to at the eleventh hour by Loovens and Carlos. 

Looking back that could have been a crippling moment for many teams, thankfully Carlos and Chansiri dealt with it perfectly but there was clearly some lasting damage. 

The fact that he wasn't happy that someone came in on higher wages than him, exactly as he'd done 1 year previous, and he then took it upon himself to kick up a fuss in that manner is a disgrace. 

Imagine if Lee, Hutch or Westwood had've acted in a similar way when FF had've come in on big wages and a long contract?

We lost it in the summer.

All our squad needed over the Summer was a few little tweaks here and there and we'd have hit the ground running.

Instead we went out on another huge recruitment drive like we did the Summer before, we signed players that I'm not convinced we needed and as a result going into the season Carlos didn't know what his best side was and he spent the first few months of the season tinkering with the side and trying to shoehorn players into the side like when he persevered with Abdi on the wing... what was that all about!?!?

The truth is we never recovered from that stop start first couple of months to the season and gifted both Brighton and Newcastle with a very generous points cushion over us that we never ever really looked like closing.

If Dejphon Chansiri is planning on keeping Carlos in a job, I sincerely hope that lessons have been learned from last Summer.

22 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

We lost it in the summer.

All our squad needed over the Summer was a few little tweaks here and there and we'd have hit the ground running.

Instead we went out on another huge recruitment drive like we did the Summer before, we signed players that I'm not convinced we needed and as a result going into the season Carlos didn't know what his best side was and he spent the first few months of the season tinkering with the side and trying to shoehorn players into the side like when he persevered with Abdi on the wing... what was that all about!?!?

The truth is we never recovered from that stop start first couple of months to the season and gifted both Brighton and Newcastle with a very generous points cushion over us that we never ever really looked like closing.

If Dejphon Chansiri is planning on keeping Carlos in a job, I sincerely hope that lessons have been learned from last Summer.

And we didn't sign the players we did need. Full backs and a centre back. 

Sasso isn't good enough.

I'm not a fan of Hunt, think his movement off the ball is terrible.

Pudil has too many off days.

Palmer seems to have been around for ten years now and still can't get games regularly, would benefit from a move. 

Not seen much of Fox, but he's not exactly the top level full back we need if we're pushing for autos. 

17 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Brighton away was a psychological smack in the face.

Again we were in total control, down to 10 men and facing a penalty they were staring at defeat.

FF stepped up and missed, they took heart from that and our heads went down, momentum was lost as they regrouped.

We were then caught between pressing harder and getting caught on the break and a great cross gave them the winner whilst we lost it with the sending offs.

Another game of very fine margins in which we'd more than held our own and demonstrated we were one of the top group of teams in the division.

The aftermath on here was funny if it hadn't been so ridiculously over the top and as well as being a headfuck re. automatics it brought home to me just how seriously mental some of my fellow supporters were.

Their reaction at the end was all you had to look at that night.

Bang on the money

The new age football fan embarrasses me. You see them on here daily. It's the way things are going. 

They can't comprehend phrases like 'fine margins' or 'could have gone either way'. It's got to be I want it all and I want it all now.

To be honest, I wish they'd all roger right off. 

17 hours ago, bagelybear said:

if so at which point/game did we lose it?

Yes. We lost it at the point when Carlos convinced himself and the squad that we needed to worry more about the opposites at which point, he abandoned his progressive style. 

We were no where near good enough all season for automatic, this is delusional. Even in games we won, we hardly dominated. I realised in numerous games we did not have the midfield to control games and dictate play, Burton, Wolves and Rotherham at home were the most obvious. Some games we really rode our luck and TBH the way we played all season, I am amazed we finished 4th because I though we played with less fluidity and style than last season. It was hardly helped by having Lee and Abdi out injured all season. Even if we had won that Brighton match, we were too inconsistent, you need to win 2/3 of your games.

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Bang on the money

The new age football fan embarrasses me. You see them on here daily. It's the way things are going. 

They can't comprehend phrases like 'fine margins' or 'could have gone either way'. It's got to be I want it all and I want it all now.

To be honest, I wish they'd all roger right off. 

Who would supply the fodder for your pointless arguments then?

I think it 100% was, but we lost it early on in the season. 

In my mind we had all the tools do build on last season, but the incredible team mentality we had last season was destroyed with the Forestieri saga at the beginning of the season. 

Since then we appeared afraid to pull the trigger. Last season we saw goals from all areas of the pitch, but this season we appeared to want to walk it in at times. 

So many frustrating moments where we should be scoring, but kept other sides in the game by not pulling the trigger.

Fletcher in the first half on Wednesday pretty much summed up the season for me. 

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Who would supply the fodder for your pointless arguments then?

Nah, you're right.

Carlos out

Chansiri out

Ozzie Owl out

Burn the South Stand bridge

Cull all owls from the UK

Is that negative enough for you?

Just now, ramone said:

Nah, you're right.

Carlos out

Chansiri out

Ozzie Owl out

Burn the South Stand bridge

Cull all owls from the UK

Is that negative enough for you?

But if they all do one... You'll be stuck for anything to react to.... You'll have to be original in your own posting...Lot of pressure.

Yes. We just didn't go about it in the right way.

Took us too long to get going, partly because we needed to integrate new players, and partly because we needed to get used to a new, less positive, way of playing.

Started to come together but way too late. You can't afford to give the opposition a good start on you, you need to be at it from the beginning. Don't think we were professional enough over the close season either. Seems our transfer strategy was a little "dithery" and "confused".

This pre-season, I'd expect us to concentrate on recruiting just 2-3 quality additions, and make sure we all know each other, and the team way of playing, with everyone knowing their own particular roles in the system inside out, before we kick off the season.

If we go about pre-season trying to overhaul everything, I'll be worried. Only minor tweaking required. It's about an uplift in quality in certain positions. 

Edited by theowlsman

Before the season you knew a team would have Rhodes, ff, abdi and hooper featuring and it wasn't us you'd be pooing yourself playing them. 

On paper we have one of the best squads going, but can they play together, nope.

Edited by Animal