Carlos out of his depth?

8 hours ago, S_W_F_C said:

He should have been sacked before Christmas, its to late now. Let's just try and limp into the play offs then fluke them. Basically our only hope now.

:biggrin:

Sure, we've just lost two games. Prior to that we were in top 2 form over the last 15 games.

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Im happy to be in the top six, but lets not let be blinded by that fact . Can you honestly see us winning the play offs ? 

That'it! Like you, I can se us scraping into the play-offs, but proceeding no further bless we radically change our playing approach.

11 hours ago, BRADDO said:

12 games to go so we must get behind him and the team. Plenty of time for recriminations in the summer should we fail. DC gave Stu Gray a few months to turn around turgid performances. He didn't. Carlos is effectively on notice to deliver. If he does, he will have pulled off a tactical masterstroke over the whole season. If, as currentlyseems likely the season ends in a damp squib and failure, he's a gonna. Until then I'm going to support him and the team

My worry is that we get to play offs, lose in the final and keep Carlos to have another go which would be a complete waste of this season and the next. 

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Im happy to be in the top six, but lets not let be blinded by that fact . Can you honestly see us winning the play offs ? 

Yes...we've beaten 2 of the top 3, why can't we beat the others.  It all depends on who turns up in the semi finals, we showed that last year.  Its also not inconceivable that we could grind out 3 results.  Hardly inspiring, I'll agree but we'd all take it.

6 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Now is not the time for Carlos to go and folk need to chill out

I agree.  I honestly think he needs some fresh ideas.  It won't happen but bringing in a more attack minded assistant might have been a start.  I'm not saying get rid of Bully, I think he's important to the set up and the club, but as I said in another post, the best we've come up with is the corner routine at Huddersfield which says it all really.  I do think that Carlos ideas have erred toward the defensive this year and the attacking instincts of our players are slowly being dissolved.  He's not managed that aspect of the game that he covets, tactical periodisation.  We have been poor in attacking transition and organised possession.  We have not been able to harass and harangue the opposition into making mistakes, coughing up possession and springing into attack and we've been very poor at breaking teams down when we've had organised possession.

Anyway, its too late to do this now and I think it takes a certain amount of humility to admit you have made a few mistakes and need help to rectify them, and humility is in short supply in football.

Like most, I like Carlos. When he was appointed he was almost the polar opposite of the kind of manager we've had over the previous 10 years or so and we all instantly warmed to him and his enthusiastic dialogue. We bought/loaned players that we could only dream of having a few years previously and last season was a joy. It was fresh, new and certainly well overdue. We played some wonderful football.

This season is, as well all know, completely different in terms of quality. However, we are actually doing slightly better in terms of the number of points gained per game (not sure if that is still the case after the Brentford/L**ds games) so is Carlos out of his depth? With reagrds to performances, is it that we have to work harder than last season to earn the points and can't be as expressive?

I talk with my Dad a lot about football. A question he has asked me on a few occasions, when discussing our manager (at the time) is "do you see him being your manager in the PL?". Stuart Gray? No. Megson? No. Carlos? Yes, I actually do.

However, ultimately it is not our call but that of our Chairman. DC has given Carlos a huge war chest and there is no escaping the fact that he simply has to deliver. If not, we all know what will happen. For now though, we must support our team through the last 12 league games.

56 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

This is unchartered territory now for Carlos, in charge of the same side for nearly 2 seasons.

And therein may be part of the "problem" - if a problem even exists; Carlos has never been given as much time as this, to see out his strategies.

This raises a question. Does he have the knowledge and experience of being able to resolve problems along the way, seeing as he has never had a chance to before?

20 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

And therein may be part of the "problem" - if a problem even exists; Carlos has never been given as much time as this, to see out his strategies.

This raises a question. Does he have the knowledge and experience of being able to resolve problems along the way, seeing as he has never had a chance to before?

An interesting question and one for which there are parallels in the business world too.  I'm sure many of us have seen examples of managers that never stayed in a job for more than 12 to 18 months, were seen as "golden boys" and promoted ultimately beyond their capabilities and who always left behind a mess to clear up when they moved on to the next post.

I'm not saying that things are in a total mess at Hillsborough at this point, but with the resources at his disposal, I expected performances (if not the points total so far), to be much better than they have been.  I'm actually in two minds (unusual for me), as to whether he should be allowed to stay and finish the season, or whether someone else should be brought in.  If there was an available outstanding candidate, maybe the decision would be easy - but I don't see one at the present time.

3 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

My worry is that we get to play offs, lose in the final and keep Carlos to have another go which would be a complete waste of this season and the next. 

I don't think CC will get another shot if we fail

Guest wilyfox

I like Carlos a lot, but unless we win the playoffs I reckon it's game over for him here. His change in philosophy may cost him his job. 

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I like Carlos a lot, but unless we win the playoffs I reckon it's game over for him here. His change in philosophy may cost him his job. 

The playoffs are such a lottery that it would be crazy for Chansiri to base his decision on them. Games can be decided on a single moment of quality, a single defensive lapse, or a single incorrect refereeing decision. Imagine if Brighton's owners had looked at things in the same way last May.

Surely if Carlos is the right manager to take us into the playoffs, then he'll still be the right manager coming out the other side? Anything else would seem like short-term thinking in the extreme.

Guest wilyfox
3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The playoffs are such a lottery that it would be crazy for Chansiri to base his decision on them. Games can be decided on a single moment of quality, a single defensive lapse, or a single incorrect refereeing decision. Imagine if Brighton's owners had looked at things in the same way last May.

Surely if Carlos is the right manager to take us into the playoffs, then he'll still be the right manager coming out the other side? Anything else would seem like short-term thinking in the extreme.

Carlos has changed his approach to grind out results. If that does not work for him, combined with less attractive football and huge backing, I reckon he'd pay the price. You can't have the financial support he's been given and not make progress. Brighton had made progress. They were 2 or 3 goals away from automatic promotion. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Carlos has changed his approach to grind out results. If that does not work for him, combined with less attractive football and huge backing, I reckon he'd pay the price. You can't have the financial support he's been given and not make progress. Brighton had made progress. They were 2 or 3 goals away from automatic promotion. 

Fair point about Brighton; our progress hasn't been anything like theirs was last season.

I still don't buy into the idea that it should be promotion via the playoffs or bust for Carlos, though. At the start of the season, Chansiri hadn't invested enough to reasonably expect automatic promotion ahead of the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Norwich, Derby and Villa, so I assume another tilt at the playoffs was the realistic target. If we achieve that aim, then the playoffs are far too capricious to be the deciding factor in whether a manger keeps his job or not.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair point about Brighton; our progress hasn't been anything like theirs was last season.

I still don't buy into the idea that it should be promotion via the playoffs or bust for Carlos, though. At the start of the season, Chansiri hadn't invested enough to reasonably expect automatic promotion ahead of the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Norwich, Derby and Villa, so I assume another tilt at the playoffs was the realistic target. If we achieve that aim, then the playoffs are far too capricious to be the deciding factor in whether a manger keeps his job or not.

It's progress or bust, in my opinion. Winning the playoffs is the only way he can still achieve that this season, I reckon.

We don't play as well, we don't score as often, defensive record much the same, league position and points much the same, and he's had huge backing. How else could he show progress this term?