Carlos out of his depth?

More crazy comments on here - some people haven't the foggiest idea and seem to want to blame CC (our most successful manager for god knows how long) for everything.

We are still 6th in probably the most difficult league in the world to get out of, only the top 2 teams have conceded fewer goals than us, yesterdays match could easily have been a respectable draw if the penalty had gone in and a couple of matches ago we were 2nd in the "last 15 matches" league" that is excellent form however you look at it. (yes we have lost the last 2 games by a single goal - disappointing, but thats all just disappointing).

Crazy, Crazy fools - some of you at least lol

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair point about Brighton; our progress hasn't been anything like theirs was last season.

I still don't buy into the idea that it should be promotion via the playoffs or bust for Carlos, though. At the start of the season, Chansiri hadn't invested enough to reasonably expect automatic promotion ahead of the likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Norwich, Derby and Villa, so I assume another tilt at the playoffs was the realistic target. If we achieve that aim, then the playoffs are far too capricious to be the deciding factor in whether a manger keeps his job or not.

Yep - I agree totally with this, I think and expect that provided we finish top 6 (which we will), Carlos will be still here next season, where I expect us to be challenging for automatic if we dont go up this season.

4 hours ago, chizumgeorge said:

Reach, pudil, jones, fox, buckly, emanuelson and abdi arnt quality players, yes we have spunked 20m!

Id disagree about Abdi . He is proven quality, but hasnt been played in his best position . 

19 hours ago, Think tank said:

Yet another thread, but is he?

He has a fantastic squad at his disposal, but just doesn't know how to get the best out of them! He has chopped and changed all season and doesn't know his best 11. I feel bad for Chansiri because he has really backed him. 

He he is in total denial about his tactics and starting slowly hasn't just been a problem the last few weeks, but all season and even last season when we were playing better. We are far too defensive and it is absolutely shocking spending that kind of money on Rhodes to not try and play in a style that creates loads of chances for him.

His reluctance to drop his favourites from last season is killing us. Wallace is just not good enough, said it for months, a couple of good goals aside, he offers hardly anything. Why sign someone with Mcmanaman ability to sit him on the bench? He would cause havoc for most teams down that right side, and would actually create more for our forwards! Bannan is another for me, been dreadful all season, finally dropped today, but you can guarantee he will be back in next week and Abdi will be out. Dreadful substitution bringing him on today, but you just know Carlos was itching to do so.

I really like Carlos, but I really think he needs a total re-think or he needs to step aside.

He's dropped Wallace and he's dropped Bannan

19 hours ago, Dot said:

must just be me then who is happy to be in a play off spot

I think everyone is happy we're in a play-off spot. But a lot of us are not happy that we seem unable to put a bit of distance between ourselves and 7th place. And many of us also feel that we owe our current position to individual performances rather than being a particularly good team. With the squad we've got, I think there's a widespread feeling that we ought to be doing better. 3rd or 4th place. Instead, we're looking over our shoulders at Fulham and Norwich.

47 minutes ago, Spookone said:

I think and expect that provided we finish top 6 (which we will), Carlos will be still here next season, where I expect us to be challenging for automatic if we dont go up this season.

That's going to require a step change in our performances, and I see little evidence that Carlos has the slightest clue how to achieve that.

38 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

It's progress or bust, in my opinion. Winning the playoffs is the only way he can still achieve that this season, I reckon.

We don't play as well, we don't score as often, defensive record much the same, league position and points much the same, and he's had huge backing. How else could he show progress this term?  

Progress isn't always linear. To me, we look like a team that's trying to shift from being good enough for a playoff push to a team that's able to control most games and push towards the very top of the division. It's the hardest transition to make, and one that we're finding just as tough as the likes of Middlesbrough, Leicester, Watford and Brighton have in recent years. I suppose it comes down to how patient we're willing to be.

There are examples on both sides of this: some clubs have sacked their manager in search of greater success and have achieved just that, whilst just as many have ended up with egg on their face.

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Progress isn't always linear. To me, we look like a team that's trying to shift from being good enough for a playoff push to a team that's able to control most games and push towards the very top of the division. It's the hardest transition to make, and one that we're finding just as tough as the likes of Middlesbrough, Leicester, Watford and Brighton have in recent years. I suppose it comes down to how patient we're willing to be.

There are examples on both sides of this: some clubs have sacked their manager in search of greater success and have achieved just that, whilst just as many have ended up with egg on their face.

The four examples you gave all made progress after near misses - the exception being Watford who took an extra year when Zola walked, but they got back on track and won automatic. Leicester and Boro followed playoff defeat with automatic, and Brighton look set to do the same. Where's our progress on the field, that's all I'm asking? Combine a similar record with timid performances and fewer goals despite huge investment, we don't look any closer. 6th looks our level at the moment. Playoff victory would make it worthwhile, and I really hope Carlos accomplishes that. 

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The four examples you gave all made progress after near misses - the exception being Watford who took an extra year when Zola walked, but they got back on track and won automatic. Leicester and Boro followed playoff defeat with automatic, and Brighton look set to do the same. Where's our progress on the field, that's all I'm asking? Combine a similar record with timid performances and fewer goals despite huge investment, we don't look any closer. 6th looks our level at the moment. Playoff victory would make it worthwhile, and I really hope Carlos accomplishes that. 

Brighton also struggled to build on consecutive top six finishes by plummeting to 20th before recovering last season. Then you look at Derby, who've been investing heavily in order to win promotion for some time, and have finished 3rd, 8th and 5th in the last three seasons, and currently sit 11th.

This is a tough league to get out of, and there's no guarantee that spending decent money will lead to promotion; just ask the likes of Derby, Villa or Forest about that!

Victory or not, a playoff place is nothing to be sniffed at - if we make it this season, there will be a few well-backed teams who've missed out.

Guest wilyfox
22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Brighton also struggled to build on consecutive top six finishes by plummeting to 20th before recovering last season. Then you look at Derby, who've been investing heavily in order to win promotion for some time, and have finished 3rd, 8th and 5th in the last three seasons, and currently sit 11th.

This is a tough league to get out of, and there's no guarantee that spending decent money will lead to promotion; just ask the likes of Derby, Villa or Forest about that!

Victory or not, a playoff place is nothing to be sniffed at - if we make it this season, there will be a few well-backed teams who've missed out.

I never said money guarantees anything - but it does demand! I can see the method in Carlos' madness. First season was a free go with attractive football to put bums on seats. Second season striving for means to be more effective and consistent. Third season to push for automatic. That's my guess, no idea whether Chansiri sees it that way. I can't speak for him. I just feel Carlos has gone a little too far with inhibition. The balance isn't right. 

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Why do people think this is a tougher league? It isn't at all.

Only one relegated team in the top 6 unlike last year there were two. We've played atrocious football and we are in the same place.

This season is weaker, we should be challenging the top 2 with our spend. 

I agree, it is weaker. Look at the Hull City playoff team against the current playoff teams - much much better. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

I never said money guarantees anything - but it does demand! I can see the method in Carlos' madness. First season was a free go with attractive football to put bums on seats. Second season striving for means to be more effective and consistent. Third season to push for automatic. That's my guess, no idea whether Chansiri sees it that way. I can't speak for him. I just feel Carlos has gone a little too far with inhibition. The balance isn't right. 

I agree completely with that.

If we don't go up this season, then I'd hope Carlos' third season would strike the right balance between his first two, as we're now just a few defensive reinforcements away from an automatic promotion calibre squad, in my opinion.

21 hours ago, steveger said:

It would be absolute stupidity to get rid of cc right now, he will be ofski at the end of the season and i aint got a clue who i'd have replace him.

The other question, i reckon if we pick it up and score a goal or two we may finish 6th, cant see us beating anyone else around us on present form, but i know nothing...

How do you know he'll be off? Just guess-work?

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Only one relegated team in the top 6 unlike last year there were two. We've played atrocious football and we are in the same place.

Wouldn't the fact that Norwich and Villa have found the league so difficult compared to last season's relegated teams suggest that it may be a tougher league?

If we look at last season's unsuccessful playoff teams, Brighton have gone from strength to strength and look like securing the automatic promotion they so narrowly missed out on last year, but Derby have found the league much tougher than they did last season, despite their usual heavy investment; and we've maintained a top six spot with decent expenditure on players over the summer.

If money were all it took, we wouldn't be challenging the top two. There are several Championship teams who have invested more than us in recent seasons: Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby...

7 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

We have made it look tougher, reality is it isn't.

What Carlos has thrown up really isn't good enough 

Some teams have made it look harder than us... changed manager and had little or no improvement. 

1 minute ago, Bonvin said:

Some teams have made it look harder than us... changed manager and had little or no improvement. 

Maybe true, but the hard work was done the previous season with a good transfer window and football policy.  This year the transfer strategy has been barmy and erratic and this pragmatic footballing approach doesn't suit the footballers we have at our disposal.

With the amount of money that has been spent, we should have been challenging for top 2. I have no doubt about this.

21 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

So it's a weaker league and the relegated teams are currently 2nd, 8th and 17th. That to me would suggest they've found it tough, they have spent big with their parachute money, Newcastle were expected to run away with the league, for some reason they aren't. Maybe this league is not as easy as some think

Apologies as the only info I can find is Euros 

http://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

Toon have spent €65M

Villa €75M

We spent €11M

Considering (last season apart) we've spent nowt in @ 20yrs, what we've spent and where we are now is nothing short of miraculous.

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign