Conor Hourihane

16 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Safe to say that's fairly rubbish by the sun. If Brighton and Newcastle or even hull or Swansea were after him I doubt he would be "determined" to work under Bruce at a midtable championship side. 

Maybe the choice between us and Villa is difficult for him, when it shouldn't be

:manager:

Thing is if Bruce doesn't get his act together he may not be there in the summer, knowing his chairman. 

If we can't get Conor Hourihane, I'd go for Jackson Irvine from Burton Albion. He's a tidy; versatile, combative, goal scoring box to box midfielder.

Back in the summer, I'd have loved for us to have got Adlene Guedioura, perhaps he could be a option or Henri Lansbury? Going on this season at this level, Hourihane or Irvine would be cracking signings.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

Why would he be determined to play under Bruce who didn't played him once (when at Sunderland)? 

Doubt he has some great rapport with a manager who probably didn't even know who he was when they were previously at the same club. 

39 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

The Sun are sort of suggesting he wants to work with Bruce (again) and so favours Villa. Don't know if that is true or just Sun speculation.

Like the Sun have never got owt wrong before. 

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I can see why Villa are attractive to anyone. Still a very big name with modern, premier league infrastructure. 

But it at least he would get a game here!

Bigger stadium, more fans, bigger city, world class training facilities, huge financial clout (for the time being), and a great manager.

We can possibly match the wages that Villa offer, but being realistic it's clear that Villa are a way more attractive club than we are at this moment in time. 

3 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

Bigger stadium, more fans, bigger city, world class training facilities, huge financial clout (for the time being), and a great manager.

We can possibly match the wages that Villa offer, but being realistic it's clear that Villa are a way more attractive club than we are at this moment in time. 

Not if we get promoted which Villa clearly will struggle to do this year.

Edited by Big Jack

2 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

... it's clear that Villa are a way more attractive club than we are at this moment in time. 

Depends what the player wants.

If what the player wants is Premier League football next season, then being in the play-offs and not 10 points off them in mid-table is surely the most attractive option?

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Depends what the player wants.

If what the player wants is Premier League football next season, then being in the play-offs and not 10 points off them in mid-table is surely the most attractive option?

No

At the end of the day, the play-offs are a one-in-four chance of getting promoted. Say the options he has are to sign for Villa or Wednesday for a three-and-a-half year contract. The money is the same, so his decision making will be based on: Training ground (his day-to-day grind as it were) and chances of playing at the highest level possible. Be honest, completely honest here... is it unreasonable to think that he'll perceive Villa as having the same chance as us at being in the Premier League for the same amount of time as us over the next three and a half years? Would he take that punt on the one-in-four chance we'd get promoted this season? If not, then what are the odds next season... it isn't unreasonable to assume that with Villa's parachute payments, financial clout, reputation and facilities that they'd finish above us next season. 

Like, I appreciate we all want him to sign here, but being objective about it, if we don't go up this season (and again, he can view it as we only have a 1-in-4 chance of doing so) then it isn't unreasonable for him to perceive that Villa have a better chance of promotion in 2017/18 season than we do 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No

At the end of the day, the play-offs are a one-in-four chance of getting promoted. Say the options he has are to sign for Villa or Wednesday for a three-and-a-half year contract. The money is the same, so his decision making will be based on: Training ground (his day-to-day grind as it were) and chances of playing at the highest level possible. Be honest, completely honest here... is it unreasonable to think that he'll perceive Villa as having the same chance as us at being in the Premier League for the same amount of time as us over the next three and a half years? Would he take that punt on the one-in-four chance we'd get promoted this season? If not, then what are the odds next season... it isn't unreasonable to assume that with Villa's parachute payments, financial clout, reputation and facilities that they'd finish above us next season. 

Like, I appreciate we all want him to sign here, but being objective about it, if we don't go up this season (and again, he can view it as we only have a 1-in-4 chance of doing so) then it isn't unreasonable for him to perceive that Villa have a better chance of promotion in 2017/18 season than we do 

I'd go to the club with the best chance of reaching the Premier League. Out of Wednesday and Villa, that is Wednesday this season at least.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking over the 3 and a half years because that's a flipping lifetime in football terms! Rhodes will be 30 by then!!

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Why would he be determined to play under Bruce who didn't played him once (when at Sunderland)? 

Doubt he has some great rapport with a manager who probably didn't even know who he was when they were previously at the same club. 

Correct! And released him I believe? In fact hold the phone. Weren't the same press saying last week he'd reject villa because he fancies Wednesday? I just don't know who to believe anymore mi heads gone.

34 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'd go to the club with the best chance of reaching the Premier League. Out of Wednesday and Villa, that is Wednesday this season at least.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking over the 3 and a half years because that's a flipping lifetime in football terms! Rhodes will be 30 by then!!

Don't think Rhodes need worry about that, he's already shown that he's not good enough for top flight football

Just now, gurujuan said:

Don't think Rhodes need worry about that, he's already shown that he's not good enough for top flight football

Not sure Rhodes has been given a proper chance in the top flight, has he? He wasn't even given much game time in the Championship at Boro!

Plus, just because it doesn't work out at one club, doesn't mean it won't work out at every club. See our very own Abdi at Wednesday and Watford to know that.

35 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Not sure Rhodes has been given a proper chance in the top flight, has he? He wasn't even given much game time in the Championship at Boro!

Plus, just because it doesn't work out at one club, doesn't mean it won't work out at every club. See our very own Abdi at Wednesday and Watford to know that.

True, but he looks slightly short of Premier quality to me. At this level, he's decent, but even in the championship, there are a few question marks about his all round contribution. 

27 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

Are you a Villa fan or an Owl?

They've had the advantage of being in the Prem when it was printing money whilst we had shysters that fceked us over 

Give DC some time and players will be begging to come.

Oh and I prefer r Carlos, they can keep spud face.