Conor Hourihane

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Rhodes

Hourihane

Lansbury

Godeau

Donkar

All being rumoured to sign for Villa who need to offload their old Premiership stars.

OK then.

all mouthy bluster their fans want action linking themselves with every available player 

cant see many of them signing yet

53 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

Bigger stadium, more fans, bigger city, world class training facilities, huge financial clout (for the time being), and a great manager.

We can possibly match the wages that Villa offer, but being realistic it's clear that Villa are a way more attractive club than we are at this moment in time. 

Stadiums are about same size though Villa Park is better. 

Great manager?? A good manager but nothing special and is well known for walking when the going gets tough. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Why would he be determined to play under Bruce who didn't played him once (when at Sunderland)? 

Doubt he has some great rapport with a manager who probably didn't even know who he was when they were previously at the same club. 

He was offered a new deal there but Roy Keane took him to Ipswich 

1 hour ago, Wath-owl said:

Bigger stadium, more fans, bigger city, world class training facilities, huge financial clout (for the time being), and a great manager.

We can possibly match the wages that Villa offer, but being realistic it's clear that Villa are a way more attractive club than we are at this moment in time. 

I think that they are at first glance. Big name, modern and shiny, more media attention. Whilst we have a better league position if you're signing a 3 year deal you'd have to say we have similar chances during that period.

But hopefully we will at least get the chance to speak to him and sell him DCs vision. Most players seem very impressed by it.

Guest addedtime
1 hour ago, twolaptops said:

Time we concentrated on players who have a passion to come here......Winnall for example.......if CH is of a mind to go where the best money is (even though we might be matching it) move on to somebody else

A passion for 4x his salary! 

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think that they are at first glance. Big name, modern and shiny, more media attention. Whilst we have a better league position if you're signing a 3 year deal you'd have to say we have similar chances during that period.

But hopefully we will at least get the chance to speak to him and sell him DCs vision. Most players seem very impressed by it.

Think CC also manages to charm the pants off of a lot of them too :blush:

3 1/2 year deal at Villa and most likely be would spend at least 2 of those in the championship anyway so I'm not sure villa are a bigger draw over that period really.  we are much more likely to go up this season than villa  and everyone can see we are building a team that should I ukd eventually go up.  The chairman is backing the team with his money. 

I think it's Pretty close between us and villa and I wonder if good stories from Mr winnall about his new club might sweeten the deal a little 

Most of the big cities in this country, apart from London, are similar in size. But that doesn't tell the whole story. From the economic point of view, there are big differences. Consider the following annual turnovers. Liverpool (7 billion), Sheffield (9 billion), Leeds (50 billion), Manchester (90 billion), Birmingham (130 billion), and London (900 billion). So Leeds is as wealthy as 5 Sheffields, Manchester is as wealthy as 10 Sheffields, etc. The only city doing worse than us is Liverpool, and it's no coincidence that over the years they've had exactly the same politics as we have. Let's 'ave a show of 'ands, comrades! lol

Hourihane agent doing a cracking job so far for his client.

Barnsley looking to put together the best package they can to keep him. Hourihane stating it would be daft not to see what they can come up with.

Villa also making the right noises and apparently ready to offer a decent wage.

Wednesday being played off against Villa by stating Villa is his preferred destination, in order to get a Wednesday response.

From here, appears a simple scenario. Hourihane will go where he gets offered the most wages. Again, another to go to the wire until the best deal is on the table.

Hourihane's perceived desire to go to Villa a bluff in order to get Wednesday involved in a bidding war whch we're declining to get involved in.

Last day, and Hourihane will be going to Villa as the largest wage offerer, until Wednesday step in with a last minute, better offer.

Is how I see it panning out.

Edited by theowlsman

15 hours ago, bradowl said:

Stadiums are about same size though Villa Park is better. 

Great manager?? A good manager but nothing special and is well known for walking when the going gets tough. 

What's our actual capacity these days? 33k or so? .

Villa park is 43k so I'd say it's  deffo bigger. 

33 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Gonna go to the knuckle.

We will have a contingency plan in case it doesn't work out I would've thought.

I think Winnall was our contingency plan for Rhodes. He became available, was better than some we had on the books, so we signed him just in case we fail to get Rhodes on loan.

As Rhodes will go to the last day, we couldn't affird to end up with nobody, so signed Winnall when we had chance.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

I think Winnall was our contingency plan for Rhodes. He became available, was better than some we had on the books, so we signed him just in case we fail to get Rhodes on loan.

As Rhodes will go to the last day, we couldn't affird to end up with nobody, so signed Winnall when we had chance.

Might be right